colouredman's profile photo

New Man Utd book

Freebasing colouredman

Posted

Just thought this may be of interest; 

Someone I know has just had a book published about Man Utd. Its basically about Bobby Charlton, Dennis Law and George Bests influence and era.

Im not a Utd fan but I bought it to show support. But actually its a good book, especially if like me you lived thru that era as a teenager or kid, coz its against a backdrop of life in 60’s, 70’s in a northern city. There is reference to Northern coz of the Twisted Wheel etc.

Its a good read and evokes the era and the memories associated with it, very well. If you grew up in that era and love football; you’ll probably enjoy it...... unless you absolutely hate Man U of course!

Otherwise; I recommend it. Available from Amazon.

Sorry the pic is upside down; technical error, lol.

5948D8F3-CAD0-4E3B-8B8D-ADD1AAB8E10C.jpeg

Share this source music forum post

soul source url
Posted

Here you go Tim

5948D8F3-CAD0-4E3B-8B8D-ADD1AAB8E10C.thumb.jpeg.d41346467ff5b083dba6f9ab3cf8e58c.jpg.0d2efedf1cb277f74d041393ecf5369d.jpg

soul source url
Posted

Sounds very interesting.  I was lucky enough to have seen the three legendary player's at United, admittedly just past there best . I was in the stretfordend when Denis the king back heeled the goal, we where already relegated so it didn't matter . He didn't celebrate,  just walked off the pitch. Was just getting into northern soul   So definitely of interest to me.  Thank you for sharing 

Steve 

soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, Winsford Soul said:

Sounds very interesting.  I was lucky enough to have seen the three legendary player's at United, admittedly just past there best . I was in the stretfordend when Denis the king back heeled the goal, we where already relegated so it didn't matter . He didn't celebrate,  just walked off the pitch. Was just getting into northern soul   So definitely of interest to me.  Thank you for sharing 

Steve 

Hardly surprising, I know, but of zero interest to me. We always use Cushelle in our house, and get a great deal at CostCo, forty rolls for eleven quid! CTID.

On a more serious note, I was also there "that" day. In the Warwick Road end though, of course. It was very much like that film 'The Wanderers'. Given the joyous circumstances surrounding the fixture, and it being an all ticket affair, United only gave us a handful of tickets. So few in fact that all we had was the left hand side of the paddock below the seats. Getting to OT was easy enough, as we had the football "specials" which, as always, left from Aytoun street just opposite the Midland hotel. Strict segregation on the buses, and we were all held until quite late, after all the reds had been bussed away. After the game we encountered a slight problem. Manchester corporation, in their infinite wisdom, and assuming major damage and vandalism to their buses, had cancelled all the return transport. This entailed our little band of brothers having to more or less fight our way all the way from OT to Piccadilly. Took us bloody hours. So long that I missed out on a night at the Mecca. Just as well really, as I looked as though I'd gone twelve rounds with Henry Cooper by the time I got home. Happy days!

soul source url
Posted
2 hours ago, Joey said:

Hardly surprising, I know, but of zero interest to me. We always use Cushelle in our house, and get a great deal at CostCo, forty rolls for eleven quid! CTID.

On a more serious note, I was also there "that" day. In the Warwick Road end though, of course. It was very much like that film 'The Wanderers'. Given the joyous circumstances surrounding the fixture, and it being an all ticket affair, United only gave us a handful of tickets. So few in fact that all we had was the left hand side of the paddock below the seats. Getting to OT was easy enough, as we had the football "specials" which, as always, left from Aytoun street just opposite the Midland hotel. Strict segregation on the buses, and we were all held until quite late, after all the reds had been bussed away. After the game we encountered a slight problem. Manchester corporation, in their infinite wisdom, and assuming major damage and vandalism to their buses, had cancelled all the return transport. This entailed our little band of brothers having to more or less fight our way all the way from OT to Piccadilly. Took us bloody hours. So long that I missed out on a night at the Mecca. Just as well really, as I looked as though I'd gone twelve rounds with Henry Cooper by the time I got home. Happy days!

That's a good old walk. Yeah was one of the first all ticket matches I remember apart from the odd FA cup matches,  much better paying on the gate for entry than season tickets. And standing up,  non of this all seater crap we have now. 

Don't ever remember having that much hassle walking from the old kippax back into town, odd bit from alleyways nr ground 

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted
57 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

That's a good old walk. Yeah was one of the first all ticket matches I remember apart from the odd FA cup matches,  much better paying on the gate for entry than season tickets. And standing up,  non of this all seater crap we have now. 

Don't ever remember having that much hassle walking from the old kippax back into town, odd bit from alleyways nr ground 

Took us a good two hours if I remember correctly. There were four of us, and it was just a constant battle all the way back to the city centre. Dined out on the story for bloody months after though, lol.

You'd never have had issues walking back from a Maine Rd. derby. All City fans were angels back then😂

Talking about season tickets, I've finally got my very first one. Got to the top of the waiting list at last! £545 isn't all that bad, when you consider the price was £290 for the family stand at Maine road thirty years ago. Now all I have to do is fund nineteen 400+ mile round trip rail journeys, and god knows how many hotel rooms😱

soul source url
Posted
7 hours ago, colouredman said:

Just thought this may be of interest; 

Someone I know has just had a book published about Man Utd. Its basically about Bobby Charlton, Dennis Law and George Bests influence and era.

Im not a Utd fan but I bought it to show support. But actually its a good book, especially if like me you lived thru that era as a teenager or kid, coz its against a backdrop of life in 60’s, 70’s in a northern city. There is reference to Northern coz of the Twisted Wheel etc.

Its a good read and evokes the era and the memories associated with it, very well. If you grew up in that era and love football; you’ll probably enjoy it...... unless you absolutely hate Man U of course!

Otherwise; I recommend it. Available from Amazon.

Sorry the pic is upside down; technical error, lol.

5948D8F3-CAD0-4E3B-8B8D-ADD1AAB8E10C.jpeg

Was better upside down ..

😜

soul source url
Posted
33 minutes ago, Joey said:

Took us a good two hours if I remember correctly. There were four of us, and it was just a constant battle all the way back to the city centre. Dined out on the story for bloody months after though, lol.

You'd never have had issues walking back from a Maine Rd. derby. All City fans were angels back then😂

Talking about season tickets, I've finally got my very first one. Got to the top of the waiting list at last! £545 isn't all that bad, when you consider the price was £290 for the family stand at Maine road thirty years ago. Now all I have to do is fund nineteen 400+ mile round trip rail journeys, and god knows how many hotel rooms😱

Nice one with the season ticket.  Give mine up a good few years ago,  can't be arsed,  would go every away game if I could,  proper fan's and no tourists eating prawn sandwiches 🤣 with the phone permanently  in the other hanď taking selfies . Wankers 

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted
9 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Nice one with the season ticket.  Give mine up a good few years ago,  can't be arsed,  would go every away game if I could,  proper fan's and no tourists eating prawn sandwiches 🤣 with the phone permanently  in the other hanď taking selfies . Wankers 

You're not the only red I know who's done that, and for very similar reasons. Sad the way that the game has been taken away from us, but we'll never see it return to the way it was. As you say, far too many tourists and wankers at every ground nowadays. I've been lucky with the season ticket though. Family stand, immediately behind the goal, free of tourists, just local Mancs. Happy days!

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted
18 hours ago, Joey said:

Hi Joey, I could be completely off my head here...but opposite(well nearly) The Midland, is Booth st nick😂, wasn't Aytoun St where the 'Labour Exchange' was , around the corner from the Wheel?. Could it be the Portland Hotel was on Aytoun St?

soul source url
Posted
15 hours ago, Joey said:

Well done mate, proper supporter!

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted
2 hours ago, Kenb said:

Hi Joey, I could be completely off my head here...but opposite(well nearly) The Midland, is Booth st nick😂, wasn't Aytoun St where the 'Labour Exchange' was , around the corner from the Wheel?. Could it be the Portland Hotel was on Aytoun St?

You're right Ken, sort of! You had to walk past the Midland, then pop around a corner or two to get to Aytoun street. Well, if, like me, you were walking from Stephenson Square. Or is it me thats now completely off me 'ed? Been a VERY long time since I was in that part of the city centre.

1 hour ago, Soulatthedale said:

Well done mate, proper supporter!

Have the distinct feeling that this coming season is going to cost me a sodding fortune!

soul source url

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

Source Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.