Fred Hughes - underplayed great tune

Saw on the label Bunkys Pick - so searched out this - By TONY ROUNCE

Indeed he was not, and 'Bunky's Pick' has nothing to do with DJ'ing either, as it appeared on both promo and stock copies of almost every record that he had something to do with.

Before he had the Bunky label he owned 50% of Constellation, which I think is where the first instances of 'Bunky's Pick' can be found. Prior to that he worked for Vee Jay and also had a finger in several smaller Chicago labels including the likes of Apex and Nat. He discovered the Dukays, and thus Gene Chandler, and obviously he gave his name to the Sheppards.

After Constellation and Bunky, he was involved in the Down To Earth and Lamarr labels, of course.

His son Stan was indeed in the groups previously mentioned, and I believe that he was in the excellent late 80s smooth soul act, By All Means, as well.

Apparently he liked to gamble, poker being his game of choice, and he gambled away his piece of most of the labels he had a stake in.

He's the sort of person that would probably have a great story to tell, were it not for the fact that he's gone to meet his maker...

BTW re: "Just Like The Weather" on Bunky - I personally know of four people who own or who have owned this - and I doubt that they are the only four people in the world who do - so that kind of debunks the 'only one about' theory posted earlier in this thread.

Edited July 4, 2007 by TONY ROUNCE

• Up vote 1
Social source share

5 hours ago, martyn pitt said:

I have a few of his on Vee Jay and Exodus, I used to buy them blind for a few quid back in the 90's, the flip sides are always good

Agree 100 %. .    There is no such thing as a bad Fred Hughes record !   

• Up vote 3
Social source share

I don't know why, but when I listen to this  song I always think of Jackie Edwards....Come on home. I know they are poles apart in sound but I cant stop it from happening in my mind. I must have heard them played back to back at a venue and its stuck with me. It happens with Janie grant ....My heart your heart and Jades .......That's where its at too.

Social source share

I know the tune, I've got a record by Fred Hughes (Oo wee baby I love you), and I knew I had a record with the title "Don't let me down". I assumed it was this cracker by Fred Hughes, but I was mistaken, and as some of you will have guessed; it's the Sandra Richardson 45 on Inter-Soul Records:

This video, and one posted by John Manship, show the red label copy. Mine was in a soul pack and is an orange label. The other side, "Stay here with me" is also very good.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Guest Shufflin
On 30/06/2019 at 08:12, Koolkat said:

Always loved this for as long as I can remember. Proper northern.

agree, it sounds like it could have been recorded live in a club. cracking dark atmosphere to it

Social source share

9 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

Stay here with me was a monster sound in its own right for Pat Brady around 79/80 and probably an Ian Levine find earlier than that.?

Ed

It sure was Ed, I would have bought this around 1976, Stay Here With Me was the side being played 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Probably...but I first heard it at the Windmill Rotherham along with Flame and King and even the Crow was resurgent. 

I think by 1980, several one week wonder Mecca records were getting a new lease of life.

Around that time I read a story that Ian Levine off loaded a huge collection of stuff that was played once at most, and we're in the pipeline for breaking, but he needed cash quick and other djs bought them up.

Ed

Social source share

Guest Shufflin

it was  released on a CD called Cooler Shakers in 1997 which costs bugger all but is full of great NS tunes for anyone interested in a solid NS compilation CD for the car

Social source share

Guest Shufflin

got myself the last M- oval copy off of discogs before the prices went up, just shows how a little of bit interest drives price

nice thread OP

Social source share

On ‎02‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 21:36, Tomangoes said:

Stay here with me was a monster sound in its own right for Pat Brady around 79/80 and probably an Ian Levine find earlier than that.?

Ed

Played as a new release at the Mecca. '74?

Social source share

On ‎03‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 08:33, Tomangoes said:

Probably...but I first heard it at the Windmill Rotherham along with Flame and King and even the Crow was resurgent. 

I think by 1980, several one week wonder Mecca records were getting a new lease of life.

Around that time I read a story that Ian Levine off loaded a huge collection of stuff that was played once at most, and we're in the pipeline for breaking, but he needed cash quick and other djs bought them up.

Ed

That's correct. A good number of what are now considered solid Northern/Rare Soul classics came out of there including the Professionals. Iain Stewart from Weybridge ended up with the final rump which I believe was maybe 10,000 records in about 1982 I think. I can remember having a good few things out of there myself which were just not known/barely known at the time including the Hytones "Bigger & Better" on Abet, Bobby Hutton "Come See" and so on. Iain was knocking those sort of tunes out at £4 to £8 each depending on how good they seemed! There was a lot of routine stuff in there too as well as sweet stuff, funk etc.....probably loads of stuff which would be considered bang on now!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 02/07/2019 at 19:13, seano said:

I know the tune, I've got a record by Fred Hughes (Oo wee baby I love you), and I knew I had a record with the title "Don't let me down". I assumed it was this cracker by Fred Hughes, but I was mistaken, and as some of you will have guessed; it's the Sandra Richardson 45 on Inter-Soul Records:

This video, and one posted by John Manship, show the red label copy. Mine was in a soul pack and is an orange label. The other side, "Stay here with me" is also very good.

I think that’s a different song Sean ,with the same title .Different writers etc too .Cheers Eddie 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 1 month later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!