Micky moonshine, reissue or original?

Hi all, 

scaled the internet but to no avail. Does anyone know how to tell the difference between a Micky Moonshine - Name it you got it original to a reissue? I’ve seen that a reissue was released near the same time as the original. However I may be completely wrong! Thanks in advance! 

Social source share

Players061.jpg

We've done this on a number of occasions. JEP is just for demonstration purposes as I had it to hand in back in 2008. By the time of the reissues, the paper that Decca used for it's labels had a pink backing. The originals had black backing. If there's a trace of pink around the cut out centre or under the blue it's definitely a reissue - Paul Mooney explained that the paper is known in the trade as John Heyer "pink-back" paper.

The 2nd issue gets sold as original all the time and it's almost like people don't care anymore, but the reissue was definitely done specifically for the Northern scene. Second attempt by Decca actually as they at first reissued the other side, the Alvin Stardust sounding Glam Rock stomper Baby Blue - complete with instrumental version on the flip as instros were "Big at Wigan" 😂

Edited by Godzilla
typo...
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

On 02/07/2019 at 09:20, Godzilla said:

Players061.jpg

We've done this on a number of occasions. JEP is just for demonstration purposes as I had it to hand in back in 2008. By the time of the reissues, the paper that Decca used for it's labels had a pink backing. The originals had black backing. If there's a trace of pink around the cut out centre or under the blue it's definitely a reissue - Paul Mooney explained that the paper is known in the trade as John Heyer "pink-back" paper.

The 2nd issue gets sold as original all the time and it's almost like people don't care anymore, but the reissue was definitely done specifically for the Northern scene. Second attempt by Decca actually as they at first reissued the other side, the Alvin Stardust sounding Glam Rock stomper Baby Blue - complete with instrumental version on the flip as instros were "Big at Wigan" 😂

The easiest way to tell with the John E Paul 45 is the XDR number is upside down on the originals but the right way up on the re- issue

Social source share

Guest Gogs
On 29/06/2019 at 11:46, Mick Holdsworth said:

Original is ZDR-53438

Reissue is ZDR 55438

6 hours ago, gary samways said:

The original has a different matrix number but the easiest way to tell is that the spindle hole on the first issue has a raised ring around it

IMG_20190705_090349.jpg

As the picture above appears to show the matrix as 55438 you both can't be right

Social source share

Guest Gogs
2 hours ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

Think we can. Take a look at the picture again.

got it, you meant the number on the label not the stamped matrix number. 

Social source share

2 hours ago, gogs said:

got it, you meant the number on the label not the stamped matrix number. 

Well spotted though the stamped matrix on the original is the same as the printed number on the 2nd press ?

so maybe some kind of mistake was made and then corrected when it was spotted ?

Edited by Dylan
Social source share

Guest Gogs
14 hours ago, Dylan said:

Well spotted though the stamped matrix on the original is the same as the printed number on the 2nd press ?

so maybe some kind of mistake was made and then corrected when it was spotted ?

i was wondering about this myself, as you say both have the same stamped matrix although the label number on the 1st press doesn't match this but is correct on the 2nd press.

A very quick look on popsike showed very few 1st press in comparison to the 2nd, and i didn't notice any of  the 2nd issue sellers mentioning the fact that it was the 2nd issue although at least 1 stated that it was the original.

Social source share

8 hours ago, gogs said:

i was wondering about this myself, as you say both have the same stamped matrix although the label number on the 1st press doesn't match this but is correct on the 2nd press.

A very quick look on popsike showed very few 1st press in comparison to the 2nd, and i didn't notice any of  the 2nd issue sellers mentioning the fact that it was the 2nd issue although at least 1 stated that it was the original.

I suppose its not out of the question that they could have all been pressed at the same time and all be 1st issues.

Social source share

13 hours ago, Dylan said:

I suppose its not out of the question that they could have all been pressed at the same time and all be 1st issues.

I was working in a record shop when the reissue came out. They were definitely done two years later once the record was in demand by the NS scene. 

The info pertaining to year of release on Discogs is incorrect. It should read:

53438 Baby Blue / Name It You Got It (black backing paper) 1974

56438 Baby Blue / Inst version (black backing paper) 1975

55438 Baby Blue / Name It You Got It (pink backing paper) 1976

1976 was the year that Decca changed the paper it used for labels. All of a sudden, the singles that they kept on catalogue as they remained steady sellers (Rolling Stones, Tom Jones, Zombies and so on) all started appearing with the pink backing paper. 

I don’t know why the matrix numbers aren’t consecutive but I’m 100% certain that’s the order that they arrived in the shop. As I implied earlier, it was a matter of some amusement with regard to the recording industry’s failure to understand the NS scene when they initially issued the wrong side with an instrumental flip...

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 2 months later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!