Steve S 60's profile photo

Happy 40th, Sony Walkman

Freebasing Steve S 60

Posted

Launched 1st July 1979, the Sony Walkman......sony-original-walkman-tps-l2.0.1406747932.0.thumb.jpg.7b5d29983d2a2f367e7e5f5915f23d62.jpgl never owned one, but had a Sanyo version.  I have had a Sony Discman, a Sony MiniDisc player and now own a Sony Hi Res Audio Walkman, with an Apple iPod Classic prior to that.  You needed a large supply of AA batteries for the original Walkman, 

• Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post

soul source url
Posted

Good shout - so exciting at the time but so not user friendly looking back - a world away from iphones

soul source url
Posted

I still have this

WALKMAN.jpg

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Latest incarnation along with true wireless ear buds.....

20190701_203359.thumb.jpg.aecd2db18a05424a985ee8b029ab8504.jpg

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

I'm proud to claim, hand on heart, that I have a very good acquaintanceship with the man responsible for introducing the Sony Walkman into Europe. He was CEO of the board of management for Sony Europe back then and, in semi-retirement, took on the role of 'Executive in residence' at the business school that gave me my first work when I first moved to the Netherlands from London some 13 years ago. He'd often give me a lift from the school to home, during which time we'd have wide-ranging chats about business and all manner of things. We still chat every now and then - although less so since he fully retired not so long ago and I ended my relationship with the business school.  All I can say is that he is an exceptional man, very much a 'people person' and someone who helped transform forever the ways in which we could listen to music.

• Up vote 2

soul source url

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

Source Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.