Blackpoolsoul profile photo

Why do people keep starting sentences with so?

Posted

I have noticed over recent times that people have started using the word "So" at the beginning of sentences.

Apparently, I am not the only one, as it has been talked about a lot on the net.

This article from 2011

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2011/11/its-so-annoying/

My 8 year old boy came home from school the other day and I asked him about his class and he said

"So"..... daddy, we learnt about......today"

It knocked me sideways, (with a smile) as I have never used the word like this !!!

What do we think, correct in our language, or irritating :)

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Wait and actually are two other words that get overused to start sentences.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I've become so averse to this particular trend that I tend to turn off whenever I hear someone respond with "So...."

I know its just a fad and it will fade into obscurity before too long, but whenever I hear it I want to slap the speaker very hard around the head.

• Up vote 9

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
1 minute ago, Westender said:

I've become so averse to this particular trend that I tend to turn off whenever I hear someone respond with "So...."

I know its just a fad and it will fade into obscurity before too long, but whenever I hear it I want to slap the speaker very hard around the head.

I can't do that to my son though, or he may call the authorities !!!

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I have yet to notice this trend.. My pet hate is when two people manage to have a conversation using the words

"you know what I mean like,yeah like you know like" lol..

But I am waiting for someone to start their reply with "so" must admit I was sorely tempted. 

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I've only ever witnessed the "so" thing on TV, but the "like" thing I hear all the time in conversation.  It's definitely a regional thing, like.

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
2 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

I have noticed over recent times that people have started using the word "So" at the beginning of sentences.

Seems to be a younger generation of business people and politicians who use it most - I find it extremely irritating

On a par with up-speaking, and very often the same offenders (in fact often the same sentence)

Also annoys me when people say 'Look....' to underline their 'clear view' about something

• Up vote 4

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Steve S 60 said:

I've only ever witnessed the "so" thing on TV, but the "like" thing I hear all the time in conversation.  It's definitely a regional thing, like.

"Like" is definitely a Midlands thing, my Dad always told me off for starting and ending sentences with it. "So" is generational, I think they get it from Love Island, my 13 year old daughter says it and I have to tell her off - by saying "Like, don't start your sentences with 'So' alright, like". 

Edited by Timillustrator
  • Up vote 4

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
3 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Apparently, I am not the only one, as it has been talked about a lot on the net.

This article from 2011

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2011/11/its-so-annoying/

My 8 year old boy came home from school the other day and I asked him about his class and he said

"So"..... daddy, we learnt about......today"

It knocked me sideways, (with a smile) as I have never used the word like this !!!

What do we think, correct in our language, or irritating :)

Ive noticed it to. along with (mainly young people) in shops saying "can i get a ham sandwich" etc instead of "a ham sandwich please"?

Not nearly as annoying as people answering qusetions with "absolutely". Now that absolutely does my head in!

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

So, look, like you know what I mean like , absolutely lol

Couldn't resist 

Edited by Greedy Mick
  • Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Another one?

Prefacing any sentence with "you know what".

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

It's all Americanisms does your head in , "can I get a coffee to go " ??? , go where ? . But have to agree using "SO" is just cringe worthy .

• Up vote 6

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

So on a day he leyde him doun to slepe,
And so bifel that in his sleep him thoughte,
That in a forest faste he welk to wepe...

Geoffrey Chaucer, Troilus and Criseyde, c.1380

So, the spear-Danes in days gone by
and the kings who ruled them had courage and greatness.
We have heard of those princes' heroic campaigns.

Beowulf, c.975-1025 (Seamus Heaney translation, 1999)

:wicked::D

• Up vote 4

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Lots of my Dutch mates start off a meeting with 'So'.

In a way that's like ' what's happening '

Far worse though is between a pause in talking, many footballers insert ' and err' before moving on to the next sentence.

It's like they just keep on going until told to stop...

And err

It really winds me up...

And err

Ok..I will stop now:)

Ed

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

People writing would of is another common mistake when of is not even the right word !

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

It's like, the word LIKE, as well 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, Tomangoes said:

Far worse though is between a pause in talking, many footballers insert ' and err' before moving on to the next sentence.

And err

It really winds me up...

And err

Ed

Good point, it's actually an Irish thing too, my Mother in law says it - brings in a cup of tea and says "So!".

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Over in West Cumbria they've got the knack of turning every sentence into a question, eh?

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I never thought a two letter word could be such an irritant! It's on a par with people who routinely say " Let me stop you there"........there's a racehorse called that........ and " If you'll let me finish" generally deployed by people who want to hog the conversation! 

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
2 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

And err

It really winds me up...

And err

Ed

Another footballers favourite is "most definately", quickly followed by "one hundred per cent".

I need a lie down now...🙄

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

The BBC have changed a lot of places. they're now in the Wirral for example as opposed to on the Wirral.  But they're on Merseyside not in . Confused,  you bet. 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

A mate of mine from the West Country has all the bases covered, as he tends to start a sentence with the phrase "Rightly or wrongly".

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

my pet peeves

footballers and managers who start with "As I said" , even though we didnt see the rehearsal or previous comments

would of and should of , just because people have combined 2 words with `ve or similar , more like middle english pronunciation

the USA daily phrase of "know what I mean?"

tv programmes that tell you and show you what is coming after the break for 5 minutes, then after the break they tell you and show you "before the break" as if you have alzheimers , this can pad out a show from 20 minutes to 45 minutes or a half hour show into an hour , try viewing the content whilst fast forwarding these sections on police interceptors or the bbc1 shows in a morning and you will save half your life in the process

and the worst offenders are , basically , obviously , literally

check this out

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Most annoying but what grips my $hit even more is. I fink, viss, fings, free, firteen etc.  It`s getting worse, the English language is being bastardised by the FICKO`S! Celeb chefs, most footballers and sports people, Benjamin Zephaniah, they even stick that dick on question time. Everyone on shag island and all the other similar braindead shows, even some MPs i`ve heard using it. 

These are roll models for the kids of today!!!!

If I were interviewing someone who spoke to me like that i`d walk away. Would they compile an email, letter or even their CV and leave out the letters TH ?

Edited by Steve Lane
  • Up vote 9

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

'At the end of the day! *  'I must admit' * and 'You know what i mean!' * said after every sentence over and over again, or when some one is asked a question they begin their reply with, oh, yes, well, i mean....................  

Edited by Rick Scott
missing text

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
6 hours ago, Davey S said:

It's all Americanisms does your head in , "can I get a coffee to go " ??? , go where ? . But have to agree using "SO" is just cringe worthy .

I completely understand "to go". When you're at a U.S. restaurant, the waitress/ waiter/ cashier asks you after you placed your order -

"Is that for here or to go?" so they know how to serve you your food.

My pet peeves are Talk Show guests who get asked a question and reply "That is a great question....". Or after you  say something

to someone they say "I Know. Right?" .

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Erm

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, Steve Lane said:

Most annoying but what grips my $hit even more is. I fink, viss, fings, free, firteen etc.  It`s getting worse, the English language is being bastardised by the FICKO`S! Celeb chefs, most footballers and sports people, Benjamin Zephaniah, they even stick that dick on question time. Everyone on shag island and all the other similar braindead shows, even some MPs i`ve heard using it. 

If I were interviewing someone who spoke to me like that i`d walk away. Would they compile an email, letter or even their CV and leave out the letters TH ?

Steve.  I'm sorry mate but there is no TH in CV unless you give it it's full title  curriculum vitae 🤣🤣🤣. Is that spelling correct 🤔

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
8 hours ago, Davey S said:

Usually heard in Mcdonalds , "Can I get ....?" .  Do they think they're on the set of Friends ?   Should be  "can I have ".  The assistant gets it for you...    I hate it !! 

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
2 hours ago, Veedub said:

Usually heard in Mcdonalds , "Can I get ....?" .  Do they think they're on the set of Friends ?   Should be  "can I have ".  The assistant gets it for you...    I hate it !! 

OOOh yes and "Can I have just 2 quarter pounders with cheese on their own please",

"Do you want them as meals ?"

Arghhhhh!!!

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Recently over heard in the Town Centre an irate young  Lady ???.... giving her partner  (The usual Chav type with baseball hat & track suit 'n' Trainers), Where the f*****g hell have you been, a've been f*****g waitin' 'ere for ages, his reply, ' i've been representingwiv me Homies'. What Planet do these morons come from ?

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I used to have a work colleague who ended every sentence with "yeah" as a way enforcing what he just said...and it sounded patronising.

" We'll meet the customer at 2.00pm yeah".

" I'll meet you in reception yeah"

" Turn left and then right down to the car park yeah"

Drove me to absolute f******* distraction. How I didn't clump him I'll never know 😁

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Of course the best one is our dear Welsh neighbours...

Lovely day...isn't it!

Make a half question half statement, and then emphasise it.

Ed

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
5 hours ago, Rick Scott said:

Recently over heard in the Town Centre an irate young  Lady ???.... giving her partner  (The usual Chav type with baseball hat & track suit 'n' Trainers), Where the f*****g hell have you been, a've been f*****g waitin' 'ere for ages, his reply, ' i've been representingwiv me Homies'. What Planet do these morons come from ?

I was in the centre of St Helens recently and witnessed a couple having a right go at one another, the woman eventually flounced off and the guy shouted after her...... you can divorce me Olive but you'll always be my sister.:ohmy:

• Up vote 6

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
36 minutes ago, chatty said:

I was in the centre of St Helens recently and witnessed a couple having a right go at one another, the woman eventually flounced off and the guy shouted after her...... you can divorce me Olive but you'll always be my sister.:ohmy:

Gimme six 

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Restaurant last night. 

Waitress "So, what can I get you?"

Me: "Your finest ham and mushroom  would be lovely".

Waitress: "Perfect", she says as she writes it down.

People, especially young ones, have started saying "Perfect" instead of "Thank you". 

Aghhhhh. Anyone else noticed that? 

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Does anyone else remember how our grandparents and aunties and uncles used to complain how youngsters used to talk and use new words.. sound familiar? I think we are getting old 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
8 hours ago, Rick Scott said:

I must ask, what is a homie?

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

My NUMBER 1 bete noire and has been for years - last employer taken over by the Yanks (this phenomenon has been attributed to silicon valley techies) and all of a sudden, career ladder climbing jnr managers started liberally sprinkling team talks with sentences beginning with 'so' (serves NO purpose whatsoever, may as well say 'rumpletweazer' before the actual content you wish to impart), 'leverage the synergies' (which is just plain daft and should be punishable with a 5 stretch in Belmarsh) and people in the USA thanking me for 'REACHING OUT' to them...... i'd only sent an e-mail!!!
I happened across a humourous flow chart on the net that said 'Is it acceptable to use the term 'Reach Out' while you are at work? - the options were:
a) are you a member of the Four Tops? - YES
b) if not - NO :-)
Two others that are gaining currency, sadly for me, is that any top brass copper, politico, CEO only has to use the word 'robust' to describe their response and its a get out of jail free card, and the superfluous use of 'absolutely' - as in 'I'm absolutely committed to lowering crime rates' or 'I absolutely guarantee there will be no repetition of this' - if you remove the word 'absolutely' they seem to be equally unequivocal.....oh and US folk saying 'going forward' - no fecker has a De Lorean so at this moment we cannot go back in time, please use 'in future' or 'from now on' or some other stalwart English Language.

By typing this has been cathartic......perhaps I need to chill more :-)

• Up vote 6

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
2 minutes ago, hullsoulie said:

By typing this has been cathartic......perhaps I need to chill more 🙂

Or relax, as we used to say.

• Up vote 4

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
9 minutes ago, Steve S 60 said:

Or relax, as we used to say.

I've swerved that term for decades my friend - too many 'Frankie goes to Hollywood' connotations...

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
9 minutes ago, hullsoulie said:

I've swerved that term for decades my friend - too many 'Frankie goes to Hollywood' connotations...

At least you're not chillaxing.

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
31 minutes ago, Soulatthedale said:

Slang for homeboy.

Remember it as a big symbol for born again Christians in the US of A a few back.

Ed

Screenshot_20190703-201527.png

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
10 minutes ago, Tomangoes said:

Slang for homeboy.

Remember it as a big symbol for born again Christians in the US of A a few back.

Ed

Screenshot_20190703-201527.png

Thanks for that, you learn something everyday!

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

(So) I'm not sure if I'm going off-topic (like) but I hate...."Lessons will be learnt".....What happened to....."Who's fault was it?!!!"

'Lily-livered' world we now live in.

Len :thumbsup:

• Up vote 4

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
44 minutes ago, Len said:

(So) I'm not sure if I'm going off-topic (like) but I hate...."Lessons will be learnt".....What happened to....."Who's fault was it?!!!"

'Lily-livered' world we now live in.

Len :thumbsup:

Well I'm of the opinion that most lessons are best learned or learnt? By making an example of those responsible for the need for a lesson to be learned or learnt in the first place, because it was those whose fault it was.

However the ' blame game' can be counter productive as without a get out clause for not having learned the lesson prior to making the mistake....

Nobody will do anything for fear of it going wrong.

Who can blame them?

Ed

I'll get my coat....

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
47 minutes ago, Tomangoes said:

Well I'm of the opinion that most lessons are best learned or learnt? By making an example of those responsible for the need for a lesson to be learned or learnt in the first place, because it was those whose fault it was.

However the ' blame game' can be counter productive as without a get out clause for not having learned the lesson prior to making the mistake....

Nobody will do anything for fear of it going wrong.

Who can blame them?

Ed

I'll get my coat....

We are all missing the point about leaders and politicians

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/research-suggests-politicians-are-more-likely-to-be-psychopaths-11364143/

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
3 hours ago, Soulatthedale said:

Friend 😂😂👍

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I'm not sure many politicians are psychos...

But most appear to be sociopaths.

My interpretation of the difference is one does not know they cause distress, and the other does but does not care.

Either way, most but not all, live in a bubble.

Big bad boz, for example was clueless on what the minimum wage was in an interview this week, but when challenged was sharp enough to change the question to fit his answer.

Ed

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
13 hours ago, Flamingemeralds said:

Restaurant last night. 

Waitress "So, what can I get you?"

Me: "Your finest ham and mushroom  would be lovely".

Waitress: "Perfect", she says as she writes it down.

People, especially young ones, have started saying "Perfect" instead of "Thank you". 

Aghhhhh. Anyone else noticed that? 

I don't suppose the "Perf with Surf" adverts help.

Other washing powders are available.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Guest profile photo