Vix's profile photo

I've never been to Europe before, could anyone help me?

Look At Your Box Vix

Posted (edited)

Greetings soul family...

I will be off on a European tour next week and would absolutely appreciate it if anyone would give me some tips or recommendations of great soul record shops, sites to see and amazing food spots I must try in the areas...

I have never been abroad before so any information would be greatly appreciated. Whether it be the do's and dont's of Europe, the best tea houses, or just plain things I shouldn't miss out on while I'm visiting...

We will be staying near North Greenwich Station for a few days before we head out on our 12 day tour, where we will then return back to North Greenwich for a couple more days before we return home.

I truly do appreciate any advice or recommendations...🙏🏼

Here is my itinerary to help with any geographical planning.  Thank you!

20190707_123739.jpg.019d88779d58cbdcca6242824c5e9a8c.jpg

Edited by Vix

Share this source music forum post

soul source url
Posted

Rome - Vatican worth a look out side, wouldn't waste my time to que to go in

124 steps worth climbing of Basilica di Santa Maria in Aracoeli Located at the Piazza Venezia (central Rome hub) it's one of the most beautiful churches in the city. Definitely worth the climb, no cost to get in 

Collesium - Worth looking at the outside during the day and at night - wouldn't go in it looks like a building site - big ques and money

Fountains - ok but very touristy 

Get the green bus hop on hop off city tours €20 from the station - Rome ain't a big city you can walk most of it.

watch out for - beggars and street sellers selling crap also ticket touts.

Bars - visited the Irish bars (google) a few night - no soul info sorry

Dont hire a scooter - you will die 

have fun be safe 

• Thanks 1

soul source url
Posted

Expect to spend more in Switzerland than anywhere else, it's super expensive, and like the UK, they don't do Euros!

Check the soul event guide on here for soul events in Europe.

If you want beer in France, choose McDonalds!

Take the train from Schipol airport into the city. It's cheap and quick.

You will love amsterdam for sure. Take a canal trip to see the best of it.

Ed

• Thanks 1

soul source url
Posted

Get a boat trip from Venice to Murano and Burano.

Cutty Sark, Royal Observatory and the National Maritime Museum are all worth a visit in Greenwich.

The Forum is a must see in Rome.

Try some Indonesian food in Amsterdam.

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Amsterdam has many record stores (around 30!). Some of the better ones to check out are:

Waxwell

Concerto

City Records

Record Mania

Top tips:

Unless you feel you really must, avoid Anne Frank’s house. You’ll queue forever and then will find it’s you and 50 other people squashed into a tiny attic. Also, avoid Madame Tussaud’s unless queueing is a fetish.

When crossing roads, be extra careful. You won’t hear the bikes bearing down on you.

Don’t be a tourist dick by walking in the cycle lanes or sauntering down the middle of narrow streets.

Check out the Negen Straatjes (the nine streets). They’re full of interesting little shops, cafes and the like. https://de9straatjes.nl/en/home

Also, check out the part of Amsterdam known as Jordaan. It’s part of the city centre and is worth exploring. https://www.amsterdam.info/jordaan/

Check out Amsterdam ijzijde (the side of Amsterdam that is across the Ij). To get there, go to the rear of Amsterdam Centraal Station and take one of the small ferries across. They run 24/7 and are free and the crossing is only 5 mins.

Museums: 

Go first thing in the morning! 

For European Soul events, as well as the international events section on Soul Source, you should also check out the Facebook group, The European Soul Club Network.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/europeansoulclubnetwork/

Enjoy.

Edited by Amsterdam Russ
  • Up vote 3
  • Thanks 1

soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, Tomangoes said:

If you want beer in France, choose McDonalds!

🤣

• Thanks 1

soul source url
Posted

Hey! Sounds a great trip - here's my tips. 

Paris - I wrote this article and can personally recommend pretty much everything on here. Chez Omar is cheap and the food is fantastic, same for Chez Aline at lunch. The Saint Chapelle was a real stunner too. https://www.secretescapes.com/magazine-uk/paris-beneath-the-tourist-trail/

Switzerland - Switzerland is just pricey. Beautiful, but jeez. Maybe stock up at a supermarket for snacks, lunches etc to save a few francs. 

Tuscany - Ive not been to where you're staying but it looks fantastic. Tuscany is famed for dishes like fagioli (great for lunch) and a very specific steak, minimum kilo order, best shared. dont miss that its gorgeous. Always just go for house wine by the glass, brilliantly cheap and always great. If youre going for dinner or lunch, you dont need to get 3 course, you can just order a primi (pasta dish). The menus sometimes make you think you need a primi and secondi, but its a personal choice not a prerequisite. plus portions are always huge. Dont miss apertivo at a bar before or instead of dinner.

Rome - The forum is the best thing ever if you love history. the ticket gains you entry to the Coliseum next door too. by the ticket at the forum (no queue) rather than the coliseum (hours of queuing. madness!) Rome is very walkable, dont bother with any transport. buy one water bottle and then fill it up at the many public water taps around the city. Trastevere is a great area for a drink in the evening, quite youthful and full of cool bars. 

Venice - Best tip for Venice? Just get lost. It's stupendously beautiful, and getting lost is the best way to explore. Chicetti is the veneto version of aperitivo. its okay. There is a fantastic wine bar right next to the Rialto bridge thats dirt cheap and the wine is fantastic. Al Merca. Stay off the tourist trails. get lost. did i say that already? Also recommend the jewish quarter for something a bit different. 

Munich - Do not miss the Asamkirche. one of the most beautiful rococco churches ive ever seen, and totally hidden away. Other than that im not as imrpressed by munich - the beer halls and food is great though; Donisl is great if youre in the centre of town, and i also liked the augustiner halle too. If you have time, getting a car and driving down to Neuschwanstein is a must. If oyu ahve more time, add in a trip to zugspitze; its a costly ticket, but totally worth it. Nothing quite like having a weissbier on top of a mountain.  

Boppard - Not been. Looks nice! The whole valley was part of the grand tour, very popular with the Romantics. I would personally hire bicycles and beer garden hop along the river.

Amsterdam - Plenty covered above, some great record shops for sure. the main flea market is also decent, theres lots of island records in amsterdam; bajan stuff for example. Dont miss some of the old brown cafes (dutch version of a pub). my fav was cafe chris, its a time capsule spot - ask the owner about it. Amsterdam is bigger than you think, spend days walking the canal ring (or cycling). if youre into architecture, het Shijp is worth a trip. Other than that, get some hash, get some beer and just chill. its a beautiful place.

Greenwich - There is just too much to do in london. From north greenwich you can get the thames clipper into the centre of london. its a boat thats part of public transport. best way to travel. if you have a contactless debit or credit card you can just tap in and out of all transport. if not, get an oyster card and you can load money onto it for travel. Greenwich has 2 record shops, pretty place. get lunch at the market. Best pub there has to be the cutty sark. 

If you need nowt else then shoot me a message.

have a great time!

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1

soul source url
Posted

What a great itinerary, Not much advice to offer but I worked in Boppard briefly in 1986, lovely place, lots of local wine producers. German wine is quite sweet for modern palettes but worth doing a tasting session if you're into that sort of thing. And as a soundtrack to the German leg I'd recommend The In-Kraut series of 3 CD's, some of it is "interesting" but I like it, when I was there 99% of Germans were into James Last.

Steffens pilsner was the local beer, I had many a vicious hangover after that stuff. Nice though!

• Thanks 1

soul source url
Posted

Boppard also used to have a Lido, that was nice.

• Thanks 1

soul source url
Posted

Just spotted that you’re not staying in Amsterdam, but in Hoofddorp. There is an excellent and very frequent train service from Hoofddorp station to Amsterdam Centraal Station. I use it often. Journey time is 18-19 minutes. 

Downloading the excellent app 9292 will give you access to all Dutch train/bus/tram schedules, and it can function in English.

As you are in Hoofddorp, it’s worth taking a trip to nearby Aalsmeer (which is actually where I live) to visit the Bloemenveiling - the massive international flower market (fourth largest building in the world, I believe). It’s only a short bus or taxi ride away from your hotel and is well worth an early morning visit. Info here: 

https://www.royalfloraholland.com/en/about-floraholland/visit-the-flower-auction/aalsmeer

If you have an interest in aviation and/or WWII, then another Aalsmeer attraction is the museum Crash, which is dedicated to the fighters, bombers and other aircraft that dominated Dutch skies during the war. The museum itself is housed in a fort that was part of the Defence Line of Amsterdam (Stelling van Amsterdam), which was constructed from the end of the 19th century through to the early 20th century. Link to museum here:

https://www.crash40-45.nl/homepage/crash-museum-introduction/

• Thanks 1

soul source url
Posted

Louvre is well worth a few hours of your time in paris its excellent.  Its an obvious suggestion and will be very busy as will all major tourist attractions.

musee d’orsay also in paris is another excellent museum just depends how much of your time you want to spend in museums.

you will see an incredible amount of very famous paintings as well as lots of other things.

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1

soul source url
Posted

Absolutely Amazing! 

From the bottom of our hearts, we truly thank you all for taking time out of your lives to respond to this post. I wasn't quite sure if it would be appropriate to do so, however I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Both my wife and I are absolutely floored buy the amount of information and advice you guys have given us. I truly feel so much better about our trip knowing we wont spend much of our time wandering aimlessly (not that we wouldn't mind it). 

I look forward to the experience and will try my best to post some images of the places you've all recommended here on this thread.

Once again, we thank each one of you for your help and wish you and your loved ones all the best... Cheers!

• Up vote 6

soul source url
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Vix said:

Absolutely Amazing! 

From the bottom of our hearts, we truly thank you all for taking time out of your lives to respond to this post. I wasn't quite sure if it would be appropriate to do so, however I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Both my wife and I are absolutely floored buy the amount of information and advice you guys have given us. I truly feel so much better about our trip knowing we wont spend much of our time wandering aimlessly (not that we wouldn't mind it). 

I look forward to the experience and will try my best to post some images of the places you've all recommended here on this thread.

Once again, we thank each one of you for your help and wish you and your loved ones all the best... Cheers!

Just one more thing, If you like hot dogs, stall opposite the Eiffel Tower or in the park on the Champs-Élysées.....they are to die for :) my wife and I lived on them when we were there and if you like something different to MacDonalds then try Quick Burgers

Quick.jpg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Switzerland - If you have a whole day free, would recommend visiting Wengen which is in the Jungfrau  https://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/

Wilderswill is not far from Lauterbrunnen  ( 15 mins by train ) From there you get the cog railway train up to Wengen ( 15 mins ) Wengen can only be reached by the train as its car free and 4,000’ up the mountain.  From there trains run to Kline Sheidegg which is at the foot of the Eiger Mountain and where there are the best views of the north face and surrounding glaciers. There are numerous little stations serving the cog railway dotted over this mountain region and you can buy a day pass giving you access to all the trains and chair lifts. Doable in a day so worth researching if you’re looking to experience the Alps up close, albeit briefly. Yes Switzerland can be expensive but what I’ve outlined above is relatively cheap as it’s all using public transport. 

Edited by autumnstoned

soul source url
Posted

If you’re in Amsterdam I recommend hiring a small boat and touring the canals that way, I think it’s the best way to see the city

https://www.amsterdamrentaboat.com/

pack some food and drink it is good fun

soul source url

Look At Your Box - Source Forum

Get into the record & soul music talk

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

Source Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.