Coloured vinyl originals

655064541_TheCommands(Dynamic)yellowvinyl.thumb.jpg.fc7a85806fa17a8b067c3fed35411e0e.jpg

It's probably fair to say that most record collectors are perennial list makers (well I certainly am) and I wondered have we ever tried to make some sort of list within this forum of original singles from the sixties and seventies that were released on coloured vinyl?

I'm no expert on the subject so I welcome any additions from other interested members on here. Label/record scans most appreciated.

I'll kick off said list with this little beauty? The Commands "Don't be afraid to love me" (Dynamic) on yellow vinyl.

(Seem to think years and years ago I used to have a copy of this but sold it on 'cos it was only VG+ or summat (doh!) Have got an orange issue with picture sleeve in Ex condition though).

The Icemen "It's time you knew" (Ole-9) aren't there some copies of this on blue vinyl?

Gloria Taylor "You got to pay the price" (Silver Fox) white label promos on blue vinyl (think I've got a copy tucked away somewhere under mi bed).

Also have had several Tamla Motown 45's (American releases) over the years on coloured vinyl. Can't remember details off hand.

The Professionals (Groove City) with the infamous 'one-off' gold vinyl copy. Anybody know the real story behind this 45?

Derek

• Up vote 2
Social source share

• Replies 44
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest Gogs

The only coloured vinyl originals that i have are all (4) Bobby Patterson Jetstar demos with yellowish coloured vinyl.

Social source share

Had a very early orange plastic - Popeye the sailor man - on 78  - actually played it one night at the Fantasia as a joke. After Al Caliola & orchestra - Theme from Bonanza - instrumentals were still king in '72, actually had the floor jumping until it dawned on people what it actually was. Great start to my spot - and actually switched to Professionals - black vinyl not gold and night progressed from there.

Social source share

20 hours ago, Derek Pearson said:

655064541_TheCommands(Dynamic)yellowvinyl.thumb.jpg.fc7a85806fa17a8b067c3fed35411e0e.jpg

It's probably fair to say that most record collectors are perennial list makers (well I certainly am) and I wondered have we ever tried to make some sort of list within this forum of original singles from the sixties and seventies that were released on coloured vinyl?

I'm no expert on the subject so I welcome any additions from other interested members on here. Label/record scans most appreciated.

I'll kick off said list with this little beauty? The Commands "Don't be afraid to love me" (Dynamic) on yellow vinyl.

(Seem to think years and years ago I used to have a copy of this but sold it on 'cos it was only VG+ or summat (doh!) Have got an orange issue with picture sleeve in Ex condition though).

The Icemen "It's time you knew" (Ole-9) aren't there some copies of this on blue vinyl?

Gloria Taylor "You got to pay the price" (Silver Fox) white label promos on blue vinyl (think I've got a copy tucked away somewhere under mi bed).

Also have had several Tamla Motown 45's (American releases) over the years on coloured vinyl. Can't remember details off hand.

The Professionals (Groove City) with the infamous 'one-off' gold vinyl copy. Anybody know the real story behind this 45?

Derek

There are at least two gold copies of the Professionals. Robin Salter found one in I believe Ohio of all places. Think Tim Ashibende may have found the other. 

Social source share

Mhm although I am not a fan of colored vinyls (and/or styrene. Yes there are some colored out there but not 'see through' then), being more of a trad collector bloke choosing where I prefer my stockers and promos issues with more vigor (as I like to believe) regardless of rarity but more for my eyes pleasure, I always am amazed by them.

Yes, I love my vinyl black... why don't you think about it... Say it loud ! (LOL) Those colored pressings are much harder to visualize in scrutiny. Black is indeed only a colorant added for better visualisation of the groove. Then there are those seemingly black but that are not when held behind a light source. Like some copies of Robert Portee 'Casanova' on Diamond or the Icemen on Ole-9...

Still the Commands 'don't be afraid' looks amazing in yellow vinyl. The picture cover is priceless IMO. Their previous number 'hey it's love' c/w 'no time for you' had a red vinyl release as well for the promo as far as I remember. Fitted with a picture cover to die for as well. And those picture covers came with the stockers and promos alike.

The Tonettes 'I gotta know' still on Dynamic (no picture sleep though (sic !)) had a red promo vinyl I remember seing. And I remember once seing pin on a collector's wall a copy of the Trips 'bring it back' c/w 'her comes those heartaches' on Victoria on a violet/mauve vinyl next to Dave Coleman 'down in the basement' on a pale blue/whitish styrene...

Edited by Tlscapital
Social source share

Long since gone but back in the late 70s I used to have a few Bobby Patterson yellow vinyl singles on Jetstar. I think they were all promos and at the time quite common yet no one has posted one up. Are they still around or have they disappeared in to dormant collections?

Social source share

7 minutes ago, Rick Cooper said:

Long since gone but back in the late 70s I used to have a few Bobby Patterson yellow vinyl singles on Jetstar. I think they were all promos and at the time quite common yet no one has posted one up. Are they still around or have they disappeared in to dormant collections?

The colored vinyl Jetstar 45's are let's say "common". If a tad rarer than their black vinyl stockers counterparts, it's only by a thin margin. I believe to less common/known variations are the target for this topic... Like anything decent that use to float around, they just do not anymore indeed.

Social source share

5 hours ago, Rick Cooper said:

check my post from Tuesday  at 17:20

Social source share

14 hours ago, Tlscapital said:

The colored vinyl Jetstar 45's are let's say "common". If a tad rarer than their black vinyl stockers counterparts, it's only by a thin margin. I believe to less common/known variations are the target for this topic... Like anything decent that use to float around, they just do not anymore indeed.

I forgot about these :)

Bobby.jpg

Social source share

52 minutes ago, Alan Bonthrone1 said:

Is it a bootleg? 

Oh yes it is. Likely done for the USA market (beach scene or else) and often presented as a rare red vinyl promo variation copy. Inducing it's a variant press but not claiming it is the real deal at the same time... 

Social source share

1 hour ago, Tlscapital said:

Oh yes it is. Likely done for the USA market (beach scene or else) and often presented as a rare red vinyl promo variation copy. Inducing it's a variant press but not claiming it is the real deal at the same time... 

what is the bootleg?  looks like it has been removed

Social source share

I am a record collector, I did take the time to join again tonight, but I am slowly loosing the will to live again.

I have no idea how to upload a picture here

I only wanted to post a picture of the king coleman on a blue 45 for you.

It is a  rare thing and a great cool mod rnb tune.

"believe it or not" is the blue 45, unknown tune if it was not for the cd release  and only a couple of blue 45s on popsike, a real gem.   

down in the basements are all black vinyl (blue and purple labels) and are fair easy , believe it or not is the really rare king coleman 45 imo.

This is only my experience, if anyone has anything to add please do.

Ill post a picture of the blue thing up later.

Oh I also had a 60s issue of Willie Rosario Wobbly Blues on red vinyl on BMC 45 

Not had any other Soul / RnB things apart from the Eddie Foster Boot

I think they  were usually vanity projects for the bands / singers / songwriters etc generally and that is why they are rare / unusual

I have a couple of 60's coloured vinyls from Jamaica

Gaz

Edited by gaz t
https://www.popsike.com/KING-COLEMANTHE-MASH-POTATO-MANBELIEVE-IT-OR-NOT-FUNKSOUL/163066300312.html
Social source share

https://www.popsike.com/KING-COLEMANTHE-MASH-POTATO-MANBELIEVE-IT-OR-NOT-FUNKSOUL/163066300312.html

I cant work out how to upload photos here but there are two copys of this on popsike, one of them is mine,  good luck to the other brother, well spotted !! its gone well under the radar as a thing to think about but its a fab mod tune,  happy collecting !!

believe it or not is the best side imo

Top mod rnb from King and as far as I can see only 2 copys through internet without anyone seeing !!

Edited by gaz t
Social source share

5 hours ago, gaz t said:

I cant work out how to upload photos here 

Gaz, the 'new members' group doesn't have upload permissions,  you are now in the members' group so you should now see the links to upload

cheers

mike

Social source share

Thanks Mike, I thought I was going crazy trying to work out how to upload 😁

So here is the blue King Coleman. An seriously rare 45 I believe and a cool Mod RnB tune too.

Gaz

thumbnail.jpg

Edited by gaz t
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

Got this from a friend a few years back. He did have two copies, the other copy was a different colour, which he also sold 

Maybe a bit hard to find, never heard of it before, but you never know.

Wow, never seen that before... What a piece that is !

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 17/07/2019 at 02:37, Gaz T said:

I cant work out how to upload photos here but there are two copys of this on popsike, one of them is mine,  good luck to the other brother, well spotted !! its gone well under the radar as a thing to think about but its a fab mod tune,  happy collecting !!

believe it or not is the best side imo

Top mod rnb from King and as far as I can see only 2 copys through internet without anyone seeing !!

Cool record, but not a particularly rare 45, there are currently 6 copies for sale on Discogs and a couple pass through ebay every year. His 45 on the Vi-Tose label is rare though, and the one on Big Apple is also scarce and was issued on dark red vinyl:

kingcoleman.jpg

Social source share

@  Sebastian - your totally right, I never look at discogs ( I probably should shouldn't I :) )

I always check popsike and  only ever saw the 2, so assumed it was a tricky 45.

Still a fab tune !!

Thanks 

Gaz

Social source share

4 hours ago, Gaz T said:

@  Sebastian - your totally right, I never look at discogs ( I probably should shouldn't I :) )

I always check popsike and  only ever saw the 2, so assumed it was a tricky 45.

Still a fab tune !!

Thanks 

Gaz

Popsike probably the most unreliable resource when checking prices, its the last place I check.  At least discogs are actual set sales, yes the odd anomaly, take the extremes out and you can find an average.  Many sellers no longer bother with Ebay.

Social source share

2 hours ago, Chalky said:

Popsike probably the most unreliable resource when checking prices, its the last place I check.  At least discogs are actual set sales, yes the odd anomaly, take the extremes out and you can find an average.  Many sellers no longer bother with Ebay.

I agree, however the problem is that Discogs and other sites who do average sales prices don't mention where in the world they were sold from and to and shipping is a cost as well to the value of a record purchase IMHO

Example 

I sell single for £70 to Uk and shipping is £2.56 signed for and US is over £9.50 so price of purchase has shot up including shipping costs

I would have thought that they could (with modern technology) give a true average price

Social source share

absolutely, the price of the post means you have to take that cost into the end thing.

it matters on 15 pound tunes that now cost another 10 dollars to post

no point in buying them anymore

unless it something that is interesting 

Edited by Gaz T
Social source share

11 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

I agree, however the problem is that Discogs and other sites who do average sales prices don't mention where in the world they were sold from and to and shipping is a cost as well to the value of a record purchase IMHO

Example 

I sell single for £70 to Uk and shipping is £2.56 signed for and US is over £9.50 so price of purchase has shot up including shipping costs

I would have thought that they could (with modern technology) give a true average price

No site factors shipping in, discogs is the best at giving you an average price as you can see the sales history.  Anyway, this is digressing from the topic.  

Edited by Chalky
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!