Okehsoul1952's profile photo

Sports car ultimate driving experience days

Freebasing Okehsoul1952

Posted

I want to buy my son a day 'driving experience' for his birthday, preferably in the North West. I was wondering if anyone on Soul Source had been on such an excursion and could recommend anyone, pointing out what to look out for and what to avoid. Any feedback would be gratefully appreciated. Many thanks in advance!!

Share this source music forum post

soul source url
Posted

Done this a couple of times, at York booked through red letter days. You can pick a track near you, what you want to drive and obviously when you want to do it. That is all done by the recipient of the gift. Would recommend booking the hot lap, you are driven round by one of the resident nutcases! Just showed how slow I went round. Was a good experience. 

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, Okehsoul1952 said:

I want to buy my son a day 'driving experience' for his birthday, preferably in the North West. I was wondering if anyone on Soul Source had been on such an excursion and could recommend anyone, pointing out what to look out for and what to avoid. Any feedback would be gratefully appreciated. Many thanks in advance!!

My son wanted a track day for one of his Birthdays. Went Oulton Park. Cheshire 

Days rallying in a ford cosworth  then went round with a pro to see how it's really done. My son Thomas was actually the fastest on the day out of 30. So he was well chuffed. There was a bike gp  practice day while we where there,  never particularly liked them still don't but hat's off as to the way they rode them in awful conditions. Will try and remember what company we used. 

soul source url
Posted

I’ve done a few of these both through Red Letter Days and direct with companies like DriveMe - 

What I would say is do some research on the track that you’d like , as some are short and don’t have much about them and some are longer and better suited to hammering that right foot ! 

Had a bad experience with DriveMe on the last experience at their Anglesey track , which incidentally is a really great track to drive . 

Borrow a GoPro if you can , as the more footage you can get of the day the better . 

Also check out their deals if buying direct , as loads of offers on adding more cars or more laps - but just be carful - it’s very addictive ... and you can end forking out more than you originally wanted .

Great fun . 

soul source url
Posted

Agree with the others about the track. If you are looking at reaching 140 mph in a super car, it has to be a proper circuit.

If it's just a photo shoot, most tracks will be ok.

Better to Google and book direct with the track operator than gift voucher sellers and save a few quid.

Try to avoid rainy seasons.....hard I know, but speed restrictions can spoil the driving.

Ed

soul source url
Posted

Brought my Dad many years ago 3 laps of Goodwood in a 66 corvette - he was so overwhelmed he brought me 3 laps and said "you gotta try this" - he's passed now but very fond memories and pictures.- just do it times ticking mate

I remember traveling back from an allnighter late 70ts / 80ts in a 2.9 Granada we hired - we managed to get 139 mph out of it A1 or M6 not really a super car, not many cars on the road on an early Sunday morning in those days -  guess you couldn't do that today 

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

I went on a DriveMe track day at Anglesey, my sons bought it for my 60th. Everyone should do it, you need a proper race track and not an airfield, that`s why I chose Anglesey.  It was a 3 supercar blast, you choose what you want to drive. 1st up Ford GT 500 2nd Nissan GTR and 3rd Lambo Aventador. I liked the GTR best but the Lambo was a sledgehammer, like wrestling a bear.......up a tree.........in a bag!

You get 2 laps in each and then your strapped into the passenger seat of a Lotus Elise while a little racing driver shows you how it should be done. And if you want you can pay £20 to watch the wife shit herself doing the same🤪

soul source url
Posted

Done both Car & Bike track days at Anglesey and it's a Fab track in a Fab location.... 

soul source url

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

Source Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.