Richard's profile photo

Who was Dolly & The Fashions

Look At Your Box Richard

Posted

Just who was Dolly And The Fashions?

Have seen they also had out Absence Makes The Heart Grow Fonder but does anyone have any other info please?

Share this source music forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Dolly & The Fashions were a trio from LA-two sisters Dorothea & Loretha Moody and their cousin Shirley Allen. Their debut 45 was as The Queen Tones backing Zeke Strong in 62'  .The Dolly & The Fashions 45 on Ivanhoe  was their last, the excellent,soulful 'Just Another Fool '(A- side of the above) in 1965  which was a local LA hit; sadly,without major label distribution it did'nt manage to break out. (info from Steve Propes & Galen Garts' 'LA R&B Vocal Groups 1945-65')

Edited by Michael V
Typographical error
  • Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Someone told me that the D and Fs were the same members as the Tears ("Good Luck my Love").... is that crazy? I can kinda hear some similarity in the vocals... but that's just a rumor I heard....

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Thanks guys.

Didnt know the Tears track, very nice 👍

soul source url
Posted

• Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted
11 hours ago, ljblanken said:

Someone told me that the D and Fs were the same members as the Tears ("Good Luck my Love").... is that crazy? I can kinda hear some similarity in the vocals... but that's just a rumor I heard....

The singers voices are from another tone and timber to my ears. Only the "Jive" almost talking way of singing of the lead singer is reminiscent there. Both Dolly & the Fashions 45's are LA . One is a James Carmichael and the other is a Smith, Relf and Nelson projects.

While the Tears is a Chicago/Detroit product with Burgess Gardener and Andre Williams stamps all over it. But this can't be proof of anything at the same time. Still in the meantime, until we either have proof or amendments, I'll remain on the skeptical sides of the story. 

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted (edited)

I'm skeptical, too.  I think The Tears are a Chicago group.  Burgess Gardner and Wade Flemons, and VJ's Conrad Music all say it's a Chicago production.  You hear about one person moving across USA and working in a new place, and you hear about whole groups moving to New York or L.A. to get into the recording industry's hubs.  But, a whole group moving from big city L.A. to Chicago, and cutting just one record with Andre Williams and nothing else there, doesn't seem likely.  Also, I hear a different tone from the two groups' lead singers.  Every person has a unique tone, even identical twins.

Edited by Robbk

soul source url
Posted
9 minutes ago, Robbk said:

I'm skeptical, too.  I think The Tears are a Chicago group.  You hear about one person moving across USA and working in a new place, and you hear about whole groups moving to New York or L.A. to get into the recording industry's hubs.  But, a whole group moving from big city L.A. to Chicago, and cutting just one record with Andre Williams and nothing else there, doesn't seem likely.  Also, I hear a different tone from the two groups' lead singers.  Every person has a unique tone, even identical twins.

There were a few groups called The Tears, did this group only have the one release ?

Tears.jpg

soul source url
Posted
7 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

There were a few groups called The Tears, did this group only have the one release ?

Tears.jpg

Take it the writer is Wade Flemons?

soul source url
Posted
21 minutes ago, Richard said:

Indeed he was

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted
4 hours ago, Richard said:

Yes, and VJ's Conrad music proves that.  Definitely a Chicago production.  I don't remember a Chicago girls group called The Tears appearing locally in 1965-67.  So, maybe this was their only release, at least under that name.  But their lead, and the group, as a whole, don't sound, to me, like Dolly and The Fashions.

• Up vote 2

soul source url

Look At Your Box - Source Forum

Get into the record & soul music talk

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

Source Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.