Northern Soul Story LPs on Soul Supply

Hi all,

I'm emailing about the Northern Soul Story compilation albums put out by Soul Supply at the end of the Eighties.

Would anyone know if they were mastered from the original tapes or did they compile them from vinyl copies?

I'm wondering as I picked up the first three albums in decent condition but the overall play-back quality is a little mixed. I know the original production values will have a lot to do with this but if anyone can shed any light on this, I'd be grateful.

Cheers,

Pat

Social source share

Apologies, I'm fully aware that this is not the WANTS section but if anyone has a copy of the Goldmine Double CD "Soulful Kind of Seventies"  to sell at a  cheap ( by any standards )  price ,   please PM me . Cheers 

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

Honestly I never thought 

22 hours ago, PatMellow said:

Hi all,

Would anyone know if they were mastered from the original tapes or did they compile them from vinyl copies?

I'm wondering as I picked up the first three albums in decent condition but the overall play-back quality is a little mixed. I know the original production values will have a lot to do with this but if anyone can shed any light on this, I'd be grateful.

Cheers,

Pat

...at all if ever

To say the least and just as they look; Lo-Fi I have always find

rumors back then was that they where "made" to fund the actual purchased records featured on them...

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 16/07/2019 at 23:16, Mal C said:

Mostly taken from disc I believe, they are contentious in certain ways, but they were all essential buys, all of them,  and the two Soul Supply sevens that came out along side the Lp’s....:-) 

mal 

I got all the LPs but what were the 2 sevens Mal?

BTW look at the price of this one... https://www.discogs.com/Various-The-Northern-Soul-Story-16/release/4009622

Edited by Soul-Slider
Social source share

On 17/07/2019 at 10:09, Tlscapital said:

Honestly I never thought 

...at all if ever

To say the least and just as they look; Lo-Fi I have always find

rumors back then was that they where "made" to fund the actual purchased records featured on them...

That pretty much reinforces my suspicions! There's some great tracks on all of the first three but the same can't be said for some of the production (or should I say reproduction?)

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

I bought Volume 1 of the Northern Soul Story many years ago, but don't even remember playing it.

However I am currently converting my vinyl to digital format and was simply horrified at how bad the quality is on most of the tracks on the LPs when I came to play the album!

I thought my new stylus was at fault first, but a quick check with other LPs soon proved that was not the case.

I've given up on this album sadly, will have to track down the tracks elsewhere , or at least some of them ;-)

Social source share

10 hours ago, publisher220 said:

I bought Volume 1 of the Northern Soul Story many years ago, but don't even remember playing it.

However I am currently converting my vinyl to digital format and was simply horrified at how bad the quality is on most of the tracks on the LPs when I came to play the album!

I thought my new stylus was at fault first, but a quick check with other LPs soon proved that was not the case.

I've given up on this album sadly, will have to track down the tracks elsewhere , or at least some of them 😉

I've been doing exactly the same thing, converting my vinyl to digital format (CDs), WAV files, and the programme I use does actually up the volume automatically on the lo-fi tracks from those LPs.

I've only been recording the tracks that never came out anywhere else in the UK.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Soul-Slider said:

I've been doing exactly the same thing, converting my vinyl to digital format (CDs), WAV files, and the programme I use does actually up the volume automatically on the lo-fi tracks from those LPs.

I'm using a mixture of Mixcraft (to record the vinyl), Wave Corrector (to take the worst of the pops and crackles out) and then Audio Cleaning Lab to split the LPs into individual tracks and export as WAV files. ACL will even out the volume quite well with just one click, so final digital sound is very similar to the precious vinyl!  😀

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 24/07/2019 at 23:16, Soul-Slider said:

I got all the LPs but what were the 2 sevens Mal?

BTW look at the price of this one... https://www.discogs.com/Various-The-Northern-Soul-Story-16/release/4009622

Two 7s as far as I know under the ‘Soul Supply’ logo, first was an EP with 4 tracks taken from ‘that Beatin rhythm’ LP, (black label red writing) which has superlatives, Eddie foster et al on...

then a 45 using the same label design as the early lp’s (beige label) with The Majestics - I love her so much it hurts’  on  one side and the only reissue I think of the Sequins - Try my love  / the Detroit sound.

do treasure these45s even though they are not original that’s all I had to listen to back then, I could have never afforded the original copies...

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

22 hours ago, Mal C said:

Two 7s as far as I know under the ‘Soul Supply’ logo, first was an EP with 4 tracks taken from ‘that Beatin rhythm’ LP, (black label red writing) which has superlatives, Eddie foster et al on...

then a 45 using the same label design as the early lp’s (beige label) with The Majestics - I love her so much it hurts’  on  one side and the only reissue I think of the Sequins - Try my love  / the Detroit sound.

do treasure these45s even though they are not original that’s all I had to listen to back then, I could have never afforded the original copies...

I’ve got the EP too. It has The Younghearts, The Appreciations, The Flirtations and Eddie Foster are on it.

Edited by daved
Social source share

i first heard many tunes off the soul supply lp's and then went on to try and get the originals,but there were dissapointments, for example,i used to  love the tune 'soul inc-what goes up must come down' on emblem,i eventually got the 45 just to be dissapointed,because there are 2 45 variations,the yellow copy is a live version and much slower,to which back in the late 80's just wouldnt have done me at all! the version on the lp is upbeat and a studio version, and as it turns out, extremely rare and hard to find.

both youtube variations here.

https://youtu.be/EYcBZrMJHMc

https://youtu.be/EszoG4EuAK8

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, dobber said:

i first heard many tunes off the soul supply lp's and then went on to try and get the originals,but there were dissapointments, for example,i used to  love the tune 'soul inc-what goes up must come down' on emblem,i eventually got the 45 just to be dissapointed,because there are 2 45 variations,the yellow copy is a live version and much slower,to which back in the late 80's just wouldnt have done me at all! the version on the lp is upbeat and a studio version, and as it turns out, extremely rare and hard to find.

both youtube variations here.

https://youtu.be/EYcBZrMJHMc

https://youtu.be/EszoG4EuAK8

Ha ha, we all got caught out on that one, took me years to find the studio one, couple dealers in Japan have copies btw, and they are not expensive 🙂 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!