Valuation please

Patto

HI Guys

I Have here what i believe to be the first issue UK original Demo of Donnie Elbert  Along came Pride.See pic

Cant seem to find any price info for the first issue Demo. Someone told me it got an auction slot on Manship a few years back but i cant find it.

Any ideas on price please would be welcome.

855701534_DonnieElbertU.KOriginaldemo.thumb.JPG.7d50d1c24bd4b4cc6816ddc8cc4b3124.JPG

Edited by Patto
Social source share

Hi

I don't think it was re issued on cbs was it ? It was available for a couple of years due to its popular other side at the time. 

I imagine it had a few pressing runs. 

CBS first presses have the thick lettering and later runs have the smaller type face. 

That's how I always understood this 45

All originals just early and later pressing runs.

I am kind of confused as to why there is a uk epic release , when and why.

It was recorded  in the uk when Donnie Elbert lived here I believe. That would explain no usa release.

Kieth Mansfield arranged the Detours pieces of you around the same time on cbs which is another track I like a lot.

its a great soulful atmospheric dancer imo 

keep hold of it and enjoy it ! 

Gaz

Edited by Gaz T
Social source share

6 hours ago, Gaz T said:

Hi

I don't think it was re issued on cbs was it ? It was available for a couple of years due to its popular other side at the time. 

I imagine it had a few pressing runs. 

CBS first presses have the thick lettering and later runs have the smaller type face. 

That's how I always understood this 45

All originals just early and later pressing runs.

I am kind of confused as to why there is a uk epic release , when and why.

It was recorded  in the uk when Donnie Elbert lived here I believe. That would explain no usa release.

Kieth Mansfield arranged the Detours pieces of you around the same time on cbs which is another track I like a lot.

its a great soulful atmospheric dancer imo 

keep hold of it and enjoy it ! 

Gaz

I don't think you should be confused, as the early 1970's saw the infection of the Northern Soul scene and lots of records were issued again to make sales and of course that was when the "Bootleg" scene took hold. 

You are spot on about it being recorded in London as Mervyn Conn was based in Soho, London and Produced many records including Chapter Five, Gene Latter, Kenny Bernard Etc.

Donnie A.jpg

Doniie B.jpg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

I forgot it was on 

8 minutes ago, Richard said:

Strictly it’s not a UK only tune, also came out on the flip of Time Hangs On My Mind here on RCA but also on Pink Elephant in Holland 

It is a 100% London recorded (Donnie married and moved to the UK in 1966), I forgot though it was on that flip.....thanks, even cheaper to get then :)

RCA.jpg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Patto said:

IT appears that Manship has a UK demo like mine for 75 quid

John of course has to pay tax so you need to take that into account

The standard rate of VAT in the UK is currently 20% and this is the rate charged on most purchases. 

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

28 minutes ago, Patto said:

You know what i think im gonna keep this gem and start playing it again in my sets.Its a great record and i still think the first issue demo is quite rare.The Manship price to me seams ok

I don't blame you and thanks for this thread and making me learn more knowledge ......again :)

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 20/07/2019 at 05:01, Blackpoolsoul said:

I don't think you should be confused, as the early 1970's saw the infection of the Northern Soul scene and lots of records were issued again to make sales and of course that was when the "Bootleg" scene took hold. 

You are spot on about it being recorded in London as Mervyn Conn was based in Soho, London and Produced many records including Chapter Five, Gene Latter, Kenny Bernard Etc.

Donnie A.jpg

Doniie B.jpg

I wondered why cbs decided to use the epic imprint  rather than continuing with the cbs imprint for the last and seemingly early 70,s press, considering it had already had at least 2 pressing runs in 1967 on cbs.

That was what was what was confusing me, it must have been in demand again to get the 3rd yellow press by cbs on the epic label, Was it the twisted wheel that created the demand? 

It is really is such a great 60s Soul record, everyone should have one !

Edited by Gaz T
Social source share

On 20/07/2019 at 08:47, Patto said:

You know what i think im gonna keep this gem and start playing it again in my sets.Its a great record and i still think the first issue demo is quite rare.The Manship price to me seams ok

Its a forgotten masterpiece that just needs plays

Its bloody brilliant

Edited by Gaz T
Social source share

2 hours ago, Gaz T said:

Its a forgotten masterpiece that just needs plays

Its bloody brilliant

Nice one mate yeah im gonna give it a spin out at this saturdays Gas Club at Davys Sheffield.Its a keeper for sure.

Social source share

Think maybe the Epic release was to cash in on Donnie Elberts popularity around this time,   all his 45s seemed to have different labels , Jay Boy , London , Avco , Mojo etc , i know  his Jay Boy 45 was from 66 , maybe if he was living over here and doing shows , this built up the interest/enthusiasm .    Am i the only one on here that is not altogether happy/ comfortable  with his  name ? cant understand why really ,  am fine with Donnie  Hathaway .

Edited by Carty
Grammar.
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!