Ljblanken's profile photo

Help with finding a football match to see in the UK!

Freebasing Ljblanken

Posted

All, 

My wife and I will be in the UK in late August for vacation and I would love to see a football match. Last year folks on SS helped us find a Charlton Athletic game that was super fun! We are totally happy seeing a "non-premier" game (as I prefer the older, more traditional grounds to the new monster English Premier stadiums anyway - Charlton's grounds were really classic).

We will be in Edinburgh (17-19 AUG), (near) Inverness (19-22 AUG), Glasgow (22-23 AUG), and then London [staying in Soho] (28-30 AUG).

From 23-28 AUG we will be in Bordeaux, France (in case anyone knows anything about French soccer!).

Any suggestions would be awesome. Thanks!

Leo

Share this source music forum post

soul source url
Posted

Best to go on the English  Football league website for none PL fixtures

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted
17 hours ago, Ljblanken said:

We will be in Edinburgh (17-19 AUG), (near) Inverness (19-22 AUG), Glasgow (22-23 AUG)

On 17th August, Edinburgh City FC take on Stirling Albion at Ainslie Park Stadium in the north of Edinburgh. Both teams are in Scottish League two, which is more like the Scottish 4th division as there are three other leagues above this one. This'll be grass roots football and then some!

Edinburgh City FC website here: https://www.edinburghcityfc.com

Glasgow offers a goodly number of football clubs, so you should be able to find something. Outside of Celtic and Rangers, the other main teams are Partick Thistle and Queens Park. However, neither seems to have home games when you're in the vicinity. There is a list of Glasgow teams on Wikipedia, which might help you find something that coincides with your visit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Football_clubs_in_Glasgow

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Thanks you guys!

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Championship football can be a decent atmosphere and decent standard but there are no matches at all in your time here.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/championship/scores-fixtures/2019-08

You could select prem and league one on the filters in the link above.

league one is small crowds and not always a great atmosphere so might not be the best way to take in a football match if you don’t go very often.

edit just checked prem no matches at all on those dates you are in London.

Edited by Dylan
  • Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted
On 20/07/2019 at 18:22, Ljblanken said:

All, 

My wife and I will be in the UK in late August for vacation and I would love to see a football match. Last year folks on SS helped us find a Charlton Athletic game that was super fun! We are totally happy seeing a "non-premier" game (as I prefer the older, more traditional grounds to the new monster English Premier stadiums anyway - Charlton's grounds were really classic).

We will be in Edinburgh (17-19 AUG), (near) Inverness (19-22 AUG), Glasgow (22-23 AUG), and then London [staying in Soho] (28-30 AUG).

From 23-28 AUG we will be in Bordeaux, France (in case anyone knows anything about French soccer!).

Any suggestions would be awesome. Thanks!

Leo

How about the other national game?  Surrey are playing Essex at the Oval on the 29th August.  It's T20 Blast so three hours of fast bowling, run making cricket, a far cry from the traditional game.

soul source url
Posted
2 hours ago, Steve S 60 said:

How about the other national game?  Surrey are playing Essex at the Oval on the 29th August.  It's T20 Blast so three hours of fast bowling, run making cricket, a far cry from the traditional game.

Oh goodness. I literally have never even seen cricket (except in like movies or whatever). The rules seem crazy!

soul source url
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Ljblanken said:

Oh goodness. I literally have never even seen cricket (except in like movies or whatever). The rules seem crazy!

The T20 format makes the game much more exciting and more accessible.  Each team bats for twenty overs (six balls per over) and tries to make as many runs as possible without losing all their wickets.

Edited by Steve S 60
  • Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted
7 hours ago, Ljblanken said:

T20 is in the evening it’s a nice place to chill out and have a few beers even if you aren’t into cricket.  

normal test matches can be played over 5 days so completely different tactics.  A much slower game compared to T20 where they try and smash the ball as much as possible.

• Up vote 1

soul source url

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

Source Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.