Jump to content
  • Sign Up
Flamingemeralds profile photo

Things we never had "in"....

Freebasing Flamingemeralds

 
Posted

Maybe it was because I grew up in a rural community with no car and no local shop, but I remember NEVER having in a number of basic essentials, or simply never being able to find them. (Usually because we only had one and somebody had used said item and not put it back! You know who you are!!!) Here are some items that were frustratingly rare in our household!

A pair of scissors, sellotape, elastic bands, plain white paper for drawing, pencil sharpener, string, batteries, camera film, paper clips, sticky back plastic for backing books, Tupperware containers for domestic science, a tape measure, empty washing up bottle for water fights, envelopes and stamps for Blue Peter competitions, an umbrella, safety pins, United biscuits (we had one pack per week), by the time I got there, they'd gone. Felt tip pens that weren't dried out, a working biro, a pencil with a lead in it, plasticine that wasn't just brown, elastic, plasters, light bulbs, a bag of any sort, Germoline, paper, plastic, carrier, matches, glue of any sort.....

The scissors (we only had one pair) caused more angry outbursts than anything else! "WHO'S HAD THE SCISSORS!".   Tremble, tremble 🙄.

Did I have a deprived childhood or does anyone else's experience resonate with mine?   I think it may explain why I ALWAYS buy two packs of assorted scissors when I go to IKEA.

  • Up vote 2

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
2 hours ago, Flamingemeralds said:

Maybe it was because I grew up in a rural community with no car and no local shop, but I remember NEVER having in a number of basic essentials, or simply never being able to find them. (Usually because we only had one and somebody had used said item and not put it back! You know who you are!!!) Here are some items that were frustratingly rare in our household!

A pair of scissors, sellotape, elastic bands, plain white paper for drawing, pencil sharpener, string, batteries, camera film, paper clips, sticky back plastic for backing books, Tupperware containers for domestic science, a tape measure, empty washing up bottle for water fights, envelopes and stamps for Blue Peter competitions, an umbrella, safety pins, United biscuits (we had one pack per week), by the time I got there, they'd gone. Felt tip pens that weren't dried out, a working biro, a pencil with a lead in it, plasticine that wasn't just brown, elastic, plasters, light bulbs, a bag of any sort, Germoline, paper, plastic, carrier, matches, glue of any sort.....

The scissors (we only had one pair) caused more angry outbursts than anything else! "WHO'S HAD THE SCISSORS!".   Tremble, tremble 🙄.

Did I have a deprived childhood or does anyone else's experience resonate with mine?   I think it may explain why I ALWAYS buy two packs of assorted scissors when I go to IKEA.

You had a lovelychildhood/ upbringing by the sound of it.  Try a rough council estate in a really tough northern  working class town.  Widnes.  Where depending on the wind direction my mum would have to re-wash the washing she had put on the line to dry to get rid of the black dust. Again depending on the wind directions was the lovely aromas,  granox ( animal rendering factory  ) crisp factory ( cooking oil ) numerous chemical factories  ( sulphur,  bad eggs ) coal smoke from the chimneys.  Think I know where  I would have preferred.   

  • Up vote 2

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Having to use newspaper when there was no toilet roll left.

Getting your hair washed with Vim when there was no shampoo left.

Mixing flour and water to use as glue.

 

  • Up vote 2

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

Chlamydia, asthma, food allergies. Kids committing suicide cos they were being bullied. Never knew anyone with these problems in the 60s/70s. 

Edited by Steve Lane
  • Up vote 6

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
6 minutes ago, Steve S 60 said:

Having to use newspaper when there was no toilet roll left.

Getting your hair washed with Vim when there was no shampoo left.

Mixing flour and water to use as glue.

 

Oh yes! The newspaper thing!?! I'd forgotten about that.  I think we used some horrible dark green soap as shampoo when we ran out of Vosene. Fairy Household Soap or something. Then everyone ended up with dandruff.  

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
54 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

You had a lovelychildhood/ upbringing by the sound of it.  Try a rough council estate in a really tough northern  working class town.  Widnes.  Where depending on the wind direction my mum would have to re-wash the washing she had put on the line to dry to get rid of the black dust. Again depending on the wind directions was the lovely aromas,  granox ( animal rendering factory  ) crisp factory ( cooking oil ) numerous chemical factories  ( sulphur,  bad eggs ) coal smoke from the chimneys.  Think I know where  I would have preferred.   

The only aroma we had was when the farmers fertilized the fields. But yes, it was a brilliant environment to grow up in.  At the time, I didn't know that I appreciated it but looking back now....I remember being absolutely breathless sometimes at the blueness of the sky and the green-ness of the fields, all the wildlife and adventures we had trudging through fields with our fishing nets and wellies down to the brook.  The grass came up to our waists I do remember that. We used to help the local farmer with haymaking and spend endless days riding up and down the fields on a flatbed trailer.  Then we'd sit on his motorised trolley and go round a huge field of hen cabins throwing grain down for them. I remember nibbling on flaked maize wondering why it didn't taste like cornflakes. The farmer never actually spoke to any of us. He just grunted, nodded, pointed and made a strange whistling noise through his teeth.  He was a cross between Catweazle and Compo! 😂

  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Getting the coal of the street into the coal hole once a month.

Front door key on a string tied to letter box.

Slot black and white tv.

No telephone.

Mongrel dogs.

No central heating.

60s ? No 1975. I kid you not.

Ed

 

  • Up vote 5

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
13 minutes ago, Tomangoes said:

Getting the coal of the street into the coal hole once a month.

Front door key on a string tied to letter box.

Slot black and white tv.

No telephone.

Mongrel dogs.

No central heating.

60s ? No 1975. I kid you not.

Ed

 

Ed. I left home in 1982 , mum and dad never had central heating in the house.  my first house didn't,  still hardly ever use it now, sends me to sleep 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

We didn't have central heating either ...it was painful getting into bed, then painful getting out. Ice on the inside of the windows.  I can remember shivering regularly and the key was left under a very obvious brick round the back of the house.  We had an oil fire and a big tank round the back of the house.  Parents used to do odd things though? They never told you anything did they. I came home one day from school and there was a boat in the garden. It looked like it had just fallen from the sky.  Just hugely embarrassing arriving home to find a boat on the lawn.  No parents in sight. Just a boat with no explanation. "What's that in your garden?". "I have absolutely no idea but it looks like.....a boat?".  "Why is there a boat in your garden?".  "I don't know? Why is there a boat in the garden?". "Muuuuuuummmmm????!!!!! Why is there a boat in the garden?!".  "ASK YOUR FATHER!".  "Daaaaaaadddddd?????".  

  • Up vote 2

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
16 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

Getting the coal of the street into the coal hole once a month.

Front door key on a string tied to letter box.

Slot black and white tv.

No telephone.

Mongrel dogs.

No central heating.

60s ? No 1975. I kid you not.

Ed

 

Coal hole - or 'coil oil' as it was pronounced where I live

No central heating (as others have mentioned) so 'bath' night was a Sunday - metal bath in front of the fireplace in the front room - great; except I am the youngest of 4 children, so i was always last one in; mucky water and cold by the time i got there

Still, i wouldn't have any other way 😲   

  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Memories, where would we be without them eh ?

 

 

 

  • Up vote 2

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
22 hours ago, Flamingemeralds said:

Oh yes! The newspaper thing!?! I'd forgotten about that.  I think we used some horrible dark green soap as shampoo when we ran out of Vosene. Fairy Household Soap or something. Then everyone ended up with dandruff.  

There used to be loo paper called Izal, a shiny material which felt nothing like paper at all, i think newspapers were more bearable than that!

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
32 minutes ago, Soulatthedale said:

There used to be loo paper called Izal, a shiny material which felt nothing like paper at all, i think newspapers were more bearable than that!

 

Was like grease proof paper you use when baking.  The joys of needing to go in a public loo.

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Yeh, remember the Izal toilet paper....no carpets, just lino or oil cloth as they use to call it. Wrights coal tar soap, hot water bottle to warm your pyjamas and bed during those bitterly cold nights. Recollections of my Gran washing clothes in the kitchen sink and having to put them through the mangle, afterwards. Recollect washing my own Levi's and putting them through the wringer...forgetting to put a dry towel through afterwards to dry the rubber rollers....then getting a right bollocking from Nan cos the rubber rollers had stuck together!!! Having to put milk, the odd bit of meat (if you were lucky) and other perishables in the pantry because there was no fridge. Putting the immersion heater on prior to having a bath and then forgetting to turn it off afterwards....lo and behold, another bollocking afterwards!!! Only being allowed to use one bar on the electric fire (it had three) when using the back room when a mate came around! Having to have a few 2 bob's put to one side in preparation for if the gas or electric ran out. The subsequent arrival of the gas/electric man to empty the meters and hope you had a good rebate...so you could skim a few bob to buy a packet of 10 Embassy's or No 6's.

Those were the days....getting up in the morning for work and listening to Noel Edmonds just to hear The Milkman sketches.......

  • Up vote 5

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Watching my dad light the coal fire in the middle of winter after he got the coal from the coal place through the door in the kitchen and usually setting the newspaper alight when he tried to fan it, Spangles sweets, having to call out Redifussion nearly every week when the black and white TV went wonky, pop delivery wagons, putting cards somehow in the spokes of your bike wheel so they would make a noise, thinking you were having an exotic meal when there was Vesta curry for tea, not getting sent home from school just because there was a few feet of snow, rag and bone men, watching them build the M62 from the classroom, going to the youth club listening to brilliant records like Mel and Tim, TammI Lynn and all those fantastic Motown re-issues. Happy days, you bet!

  • Up vote 5

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

How could i of forgotten all of that....yes...my childhood/teenage years to a t!! Not being able to see the tv properly cos my Nan had the clothes maid loaded with washing drying in front of a roaring fire. Pinching my elder brothers after shaves en route to the bowling alley with my mates...Rhyl on bank holidays on my Lambretta SX150 overloaded with mirrors and chrome....yeh...happy days!!!

  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
3 hours ago, Okehsoul1952 said:

Yeh, remember the Izal toilet paper....no carpets, just lino or oil cloth as they use to call it. Wrights coal tar soap, hot water bottle to warm your pyjamas and bed during those bitterly cold nights. Recollections of my Gran washing clothes in the kitchen sink and having to put them through the mangle, afterwards. Recollect washing my own Levi's and putting them through the wringer...forgetting to put a dry towel through afterwards to dry the rubber rollers....then getting a right bollocking from Nan cos the rubber rollers had stuck together!!! Having to put milk, the odd bit of meat (if you were lucky) and other perishables in the pantry because there was no fridge. Putting the immersion heater on prior to having a bath and then forgetting to turn it off afterwards....lo and behold, another bollocking afterwards!!! Only being allowed to use one bar on the electric fire (it had three) when using the back room when a mate came around! Having to have a few 2 bob's put to one side in preparation for if the gas or electric ran out. The subsequent arrival of the gas/electric man to empty the meters and hope you had a good rebate...so you could skim a few bob to buy a packet of 10 Embassy's or No 6's.

Those were the days....getting up in the morning for work and listening to Noel Edmonds just to hear The Milkman sketches.......

I still use Wright's Coal Tar! I love the smell AND I do believe I have beside me a hot water bottle. Yes, I know it's July...I have a really, really bad back. The baddest back ever.  

  • Up vote 2

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Why did the days back then seem so good.  Was it cause our parents didn't have what we have now and they made the most of everything like a day out at the seaside walking along the front with a bag of chips and scraps ( sctatchings or bits  depending where you are from ) still don't taste like then. Or family Sunday dinners fighting over the last roast spud or me and my brother fighting over the skin off the rice pudding.. Monday night tea after school thick crusty bread and the beef dripping from dinner the day before.. 

Happy carefree days 

  • Up vote 2

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

 

Of Course we didn't have The World Wide Web back then and all the gadgets that we have to connect to it which meant we had to subscribe to receiving Paper Record Lists from sellers in the USA and UK (remember the SAE we had to send too) I remember those cold mornings when if your Soul Bowl list came early enough having to chase around looking for a Public Phone box that had not been Vandalised or used as a public toilet, was even worse for American Lists because of the time difference and having to ask if we could listen to tracks that looked interesting we didn't know other than those that were on our WANTS LIST to be played over the phone, And having to explain to the local bobby who pulled up in his panda what we were doing in a phone box at 4 in the morning.... Not  "Ho Happy Days"

 

  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

I think they seemed so good as you had no stress or worries when you were growing up such as paying bills, having all your meals made and loved and looked after like you wew the only thing in the world as far as your parents were concerned. And of course society being generally more polite and caring.

  • Up vote 4

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
1 minute ago, Soulatthedale said:

I think they seemed so good as you had no stress or worries when you were growing up such as paying bills, having all your meals made and loved and looked after like you wew the only thing in the world as far as your parents were concerned. And of course society being generally more polite and caring.

True, i knew how things changed for me when i moved into my own flat, 1970 i think (i would have been 20 then) and in those days you could  walk out of a job an straight into another one until i spent 40 working for the local borough Council until i took retirement, Yes you certainly felt a lot more safe and content in those days which sadly was not to last, you know, The world owes me a Living Mentality soon crept in. 

  • Up vote 2

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
On 21/07/2019 at 22:07, Flamingemeralds said:

We didn't have central heating either ...it was painful getting into bed, then painful getting out. Ice on the inside of the windows.  I can remember shivering regularly and the key was left under a very obvious brick round the back of the house.  We had an oil fire and a big tank round the back of the house.  Parents used to do odd things though? They never told you anything did they. I came home one day from school and there was a boat in the garden. It looked like it had just fallen from the sky.  Just hugely embarrassing arriving home to find a boat on the lawn.  No parents in sight. Just a boat with no explanation. "What's that in your garden?". "I have absolutely no idea but it looks like.....a boat?".  "Why is there a boat in your garden?".  "I don't know? Why is there a boat in the garden?". "Muuuuuuummmmm????!!!!! Why is there a boat in the garden?!".  "ASK YOUR FATHER!".  "Daaaaaaadddddd?????".  

Ha brilliant we had a fibre glass dinghy appear along with outboard motor.  Never went on the water just used to lay in it with my cat. No wonder our kids look at us strange when we walk in on a Sunday afternoon after going out on a Friday night 

  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Following on from from what soulatthedale said about his dad fanning the fire and setting the News Paper alight, Dads are very clever or so they think (bless 'em) but my Dad used to do that thing with the coal fire with the open large double news paper holding it up over the open front of the coal fire creating this whoosh of air through the Fire Grate and yes it works a treat, until you guessed it , it caught fire he panicked puling the lighted paper to him nearly setting fire to the Cat and Dog who were vying for best position on the hearth but thankfully no harm done to them, 10 minutes later neighbour across the street banging on the door, Your Bloody Chimneys on fire, thankfully he had a phone and had called the fire brigade...... 

  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
3 hours ago, Greedy Mick said:

Ha brilliant we had a fibre glass dinghy appear along with outboard motor.  Never went on the water just used to lay in it with my cat. No wonder our kids look at us strange when we walk in on a Sunday afternoon after going out on a Friday night 

Ours did at least get in the water, for two seasons, then sank without trace. My dad made a wheeled trolley and strapped the Ailsa Craig outboard to it and he'd drag it, and us, over rough, boggy, agricultural terrain for about two miles to the mooring, which was covered in reeds. It was like a scene from the African Queen. We were quite literally thrown onto the boat.  I hated it. I always thought it was going to sink and we'd all be eaten by pike.  😂 It was a joyous day indeed when he came home with a "cob on" and said "Bloody boat's gone".  It felt like a black cloud had lifted! 😂  

  • Up vote 2

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
6 hours ago, Soulatthedale said:

I think they seemed so good as you had no stress or worries when you were growing up such as paying bills, having all your meals made and loved and looked after like you wew the only thing in the world as far as your parents were concerned. And of course society being generally more polite and caring.

Just back from a camping trip, 20 of us altogether including 7 kids from 6 months to 14 years old - Great fun, but a lot of work to make it 'work'.  I was reminiscing how wonderful it was when I used to go camping as a child for two weeks every year, but now know that doing so must have been really hard for my parents what with feeding us three kids etc etc (Didn't have the money to go out for any meals at a restaurant) Especially hard for them when it rained for two weeks solid.

'Rose tinted glasses' to a certain extent maybe, but I do agree people seemed to be more content back then - Nowadays lots of young people would hate camping unless they had a signal!

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

  • Up vote 4

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

''A pair of scissors, sellotape, elastic bands, plain white paper for drawing, pencil sharpener, string, batteries, camera film, paper clips, sticky back plastic for backing books, Tupperware containers for domestic science, a tape measure, empty washing up bottle for water fights, envelopes and stamps for Blue Peter competitions, an umbrella, safety pins, United biscuits (we had one pack per week), by the time I got there, they'd gone. Felt tip pens that weren't dried out, a working biro, a pencil with a lead in it, plasticine that wasn't just brown, elastic, plasters, light bulbs, a bag of any sort, Germoline, paper, plastic, carrier, matches, glue of any sort.....''

 

Izal toilet paper.....so crisp is shattered wiping your bum.

No central heating.......my old man had it fitted after the great freeze of 1963/4 ?.

Record player n TV.....not till 1963 in our house, just in time for Ready Steady Go, used to watch Popeye at a M8's drum.

We, my parents, still had a mangle in 1955, used to reside in back garden (launderette was a French word :)), if I rem correctly it was still used occasionally in 1960's.

Remember first sliced bread, bloody awful then, bloody awful now, milk were delivered on a float pulled by a shire horse, THIS is in London,  Edgeware, Holmstall Avenue in 1955.

 

NOTE

We never had Tupperware, Tippex, Felt tip pens, Biros, Araldite, Super Glue, Double Glazing, plastic bags  etc they did not exist DOMESTICALLY in 1955 :).

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Not being hard on her at all...agree with every thing you said! It amazes me how these thick,  talentless morons make a career out of mediocrity!! The media is full of them!!

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
On 23/07/2019 at 13:36, Rick Scott said:

Following on from from what soulatthedale said about his dad fanning the fire and setting the News Paper alight, Dads are very clever or so they think (bless 'em) but my Dad used to do that thing with the coal fire with the open large double news paper holding it up over the open front of the coal fire creating this whoosh of air through the Fire Grate and yes it works a treat, until you guessed it , it caught fire he panicked puling the lighted paper to him nearly setting fire to the Cat and Dog who were vying for best position on the hearth but thankfully no harm done to them, 10 minutes later neighbour across the street banging on the door, Your Bloody Chimneys on fire, thankfully he had a phone and had called the fire brigade...... 

Indeed, and even better when the chimneys that were never swept, suddenly caught fire and the years And years of old paper sticking to its sides came loose and come back out of the fire front.

Happy days...NOT

Too tight for firefighters and wood..

Rolled up newspaper worked just as well. Until it all came crashing down.

Ed

Edited by Tomangoes
Spello

Share this source music forum post


soul source url

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!
Log into Soul Source

Get max use of the forums

Log in now!

Source Adverts



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.