Good Records to buy on a budget.

JC1994

Hi all! 

I'm new to soul source but not extremely new to the scene itself. I did use to collect records around 4 years ago but took a break from the scene when I started university (I'm 24) and didn't have time to buy records and shop around.

However I've now gotten the bug back once again and would like to start collecting. Nothing majorly expensive for now. I was wondering if anyone can help advise me on fabulous records that are cheap and would be a welcome edition to anyone's box. Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks Joe. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I just bought this from Dee off here for 15 quid cause I love it

If it was 300 and rare  i would still be happy, what a tune

loads of  quality 45s like this out there 

bring back Guy Hennegan to the world

Edited by Gaz T
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Another hit from Chicago you can get for pennies, but a lovely tune to own and listen to

Another side to collecting.  

Some of the 60s local hits have the sound but sold too many copys over there to be played over here

collect it all

Edited by Gaz T
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

A Record i never tire of hearing and have done since my teens is this one, if rare im sure would be massive..brilliant peice of soul music..to me its got it all... gotta be the best tenner ever spent. Quality dosent always cost a fortune.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Would be useful to know the sorts of things you're into.

Top of the list for me would be The Showstoppers Ain't Nothing But A Houseparty/What Can A Man Do - dead cheap, historically important and there ain't many better Northern tracks than WCAMD to my mind.

Dx

PS I'd go for Please Stay Close to Me every time rather than Playgirls Love from the Five Stairsteps.

Edited by DaveNPete
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

It really depends if you want buy only original copies of if you are happy with bootlegs and reissues?

In my opinion bootlegs are the scourge of our scene and anyone selling them should be strung up, but that's my opinion, lots of others think differently and are happy to buy them.  Reissue are fine if they are official release by record companies or independent labels that are paying the royalties and of course there are loads of CD's and LP's available that will give you access to loads of really very rare recordings for next to nothing. The choice if yours.

Paul

• Up vote 2
Social source share

9 hours ago, Paul Capon said:

The Dells - Closer / give your baby a standing ovation CADET

M- £4

I have a M- copy for sale  - one of the best £4 records you’ll ever buy!

https://youtu.be/z-gAf1G9QS

https://youtu.be/gbcyHA9DSWU

Paul Capon suggested this, which is spot on. Take a look at most of the Dells stuff and you will find some real gems for peanuts, just because they were pressed in the tens of thousands and for some reason nobody wants them.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Soul Hippy
17 hours ago, JC1994 said:

Hi all! 

I'm new to soul source but not extremely new to the scene itself. I did use to collect records around 4 years ago but took a break from the scene when I started university (I'm 24) and didn't have time to buy records and shop around.

However I've now gotten the bug back once again and would like to start collecting. Nothing majorly expensive for now. I was wondering if anyone can help advise me on fabulous records that are cheap and would be a welcome edition to anyone's box. Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks Joe. 

Good for you Joe,

Keep your eye and ear on the current faves thread there are quite a few enthusiasts on there who put some great stuff on there and its ongoing, good cheaper stuff is normally highlighted as such. Its a great sharing forum and you can learn so much from the other lads too. Everyone is encouraging and complimentary to each other, also current Motown faves is a great educator, same spirit applies and all enthusiastic. Some bargains to be had on motown. Whatever floats your boat mate. Have fun. 

Social source share

13 hours ago, Gaz T said:

Another hit from Chicago you can get for pennies, but a lovely tune to own and listen to

Another side to collecting.  

Some of the 60s local hits have the sound but sold too many copys over there to be played over here

collect it all

Seen this on e bay over the weekend for under a fiver , lovely record .

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Guest Shufflin

collect the new release soul music, some great sounds and cheap (until they sell out)

listen to the top shows on Mixcloud, the last show by Dean Anderson should be of interest as it played quite a few cheap but good records

Social source share

I was thinking of putting a list up as a discussion, there are literally millions of course, but here is a good list of tracks that have all been the sales boxes for ever, and haven’t as yet been picked off and risen in price, such as Robert Thomas et al... all musically as good, if not better than the now so called silly money stuff... well nearly, but all still really cheap and essential ! 

Utimations - Would I do it over / Marvlus 

Magestic - send my baby back to me / Equador 

TSU Toronados - only inside / Ovide

Steve Mancha - I don’t want to lose you / Groovesville 

The Rivingtons - Your Gonna Pay / Quan

The Companions - Be yourself / GA

lee Harvey - Only true love / Kris

the Sensations - I wont be hurt / Way Out

Five Stairsteps - I ain’t gonna rest / Windy City

Jimmy Delphs - Almost / Karen 

The Prophets - My kind of girl / Stephanyne 

the Vanguards - thought of losing you / Lamp 

Winfield Parker - I love you just the  same / Ru Jac (slow version/ yellow label)  so much better than the fast version!! 

Revlons - What a love this is / Toy, still cheap, lets face it less common than Robert Thomas day but as good, get this for 30/40 quid if you look ...

Chuck  Bernard - She’s already married / Satelite ( two versions of this song on the label, dirt cheap 45s)

monroe Taylor - proud guy / Chesapeake / 

Contenders - You gotta do what you gotta do / Edge

Think of more later, but if your just starting to collect, and digging deeper, go for the artists and labels, Gene Chandler, Walter Jackson, Bobby Bland, Impressions, Brunswick catalogue, etc etc, still loads of 45s that change hands for under 30 quid, to be honest  you can ignore all the big money stuff and still live a very soulful life:-)

mal 

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Cliff Wagner - exception to the rule!   My golly what a 45, both sides and still in 2019 not fetching silly money...  

Ronnie Savoy _ loving you / Wingate  brilliant Detroit as good as loads on other Detroit labels ! 

Joe king - speak on up / Prix  still cheap and brill ‘ 

lucky laws - who is she / One Dearful   Will be one that will triple in price i reckon  

mighty marvelows / talkin about my baby / ABC   20/30 pound track but universally accepted to be TOP draw as some dealers say 

The kittens - How long can this go on / Chess pay twenty quid for this one still! 

The Four Sonics - where are you / triple B,  you can get for well under half of Johnny Dixon on Boss... same record to these ears 

joe L - I’m not gonna worry / Cissac  

The Ballads - I wish I knew / Venture probably the best 20 quid you will ever spend on a 45!!  Nobody will or can argue with that ! Lol 

And all that without straying into crossover , 7ts or modern !  Ain’t bad—- 🙂 

malcolm

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

Guest Shufflin
16 hours ago, Mal C said:

The Companions - Be yourself / GA

a current fav record of mine, definitely recommend that among lots of the others

Social source share

Guest Soul Hippy

A few recent purchases in the budget range all mint and all brilliant imho

Tyrone Davis Turn Back the Hands of time - Dakar £5

Fantastic Four As Long as I live - Ric Tic £2.50

Jerry Butler Only the strong survive - Mercury  £5

Barbara Mercer Hey  - Golden World £10 

Holidays - I'll love you forever/Makin up time £12

Orginals Don't stop now - Tamla Motown   £12

Marvin Gaye My Love for You - Tamla Motown  £12

£58.50👍👍👍👍

Social source share

Guest Shufflin

only 3 copies of this available in M- condition, price will only increase - it's been played out in a DJ set of otherwise very rare records

Doris Duke ‎– The Feeling Is Right

under £25 (for now)

Edited by Shufflin
typos
Social source share

2 hours ago, Paul Capon said:

I have this for a tenner - superb 2-stepper 

L.v johnson is a fantastic singer.

also worth checking out "its not my time"

this is another great deep soul ballad on the ica label that is very cheap.

Edited by Dylan
  • Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Freddie Cole - I had it made / Tru Glo Town. For a monstrously brilliant beat ballad nobody really seems to talk about much... unless you got one of course 🤟 always thought Freddie Cole, Nat king Cole... take a listen you decide 

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

On 23/07/2019 at 19:54, Shufflin said:

only 3 copies of this available in M- condition, price will only increase - it's been played out in a DJ set of otherwise very rare records

Doris Duke ‎– The Feeling Is Right

under £25 (for now)

Now only VG condition copies left on discogs all others have been snapped up  👍

Social source share

On 22/07/2019 at 12:43, Shufflin said:

collect the new release soul music, some great sounds and cheap (until they sell out)

listen to the top shows on Mixcloud, the last show by Dean Anderson should be of interest as it played quite a few cheap but good records

This is very good advice. I feel like the quality of new records coming out now is quite a bit higher than 15 years ago. Sites like Bandcamp can be good to plow through until you find a handful of trustworthy labels that suit your ear. From another perspective, some of these will be good investment pieces for the future. 

Social source share

My best advice is to do what I did when I started collecting around 5 years ago -find the record dealers who post soundclips with their records and listen to all the ones that are within your budget then buy the records you really love, there are tens of thousands to choose from.  Happy hunting!

Social source share

I'd agree with what other folk have said in terms of hoovering up as much as you possibly can by listening to a broad range before parting with your hard earned. That done, I'd be disciplined and only buy what I absolutely loved, however anyone described it (oldies, crossover etc etc etc). Your taste and collection will evolve over time anyhow so balls to the pigeon holes ... 

Here's an armful I'd still buy if I was starting again on a tight budget. It's a real mixed bag but all are plenty good enough IMHO

Dells - make sure (Cadet)

Spyder Turner - you're good enough for me (MGM)

Spyder Turner - can't make it anymore (MGM)

Darrell Banks - open the door / our love is in the pocket (Revilot)

Vontastics - lady love (Moonshot)

Impressions - you've been cheatin' (ABC)

Impressions - you ought to be be in heaven (ABC)

Mary Wells - can't you see you're losing me (Atco)

Major Lance - since I lost my baby's love (Volt)

Bobby Bland - getting used to the blues (Duke)

Betty Lavette - stand up like a man (Calla)

Betty Lavette - feel good all over (Calla)

Bud Harper - let me love you / Mr Soul  (Peacock) 

Marvin Smith - have more time (Brunswick)

Artistics - the chase is on (Brunswick)

ZZ Hill - baby I'm sorry (Kent)

Esquires - how could it be (Bunky)

Precisions - if this is love (Drew)

Precisions - instant heartbreak (Drew)

Imperial Wonders - trying to get to you (Black Prince)

Creations - I've got to find her (Globe)

Creations - Oh baby (Globe)

Louis Curry - I'll try again tomorrow (MS)

Sharpees - tired of being lonely (One-Derful)

JJ Barnes - chains of love (Groovesville)

Al Kent - the way you've been acting lately (Ric Tic)

JJ Barnes - please let me in (Ric Tic)

JJ Barnes - I ain't gonna do it (Ric Tic)

Happy hunting!

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Your tastes will change and evolve the more you listen.

most of the must have records from your first spell of buying will be making way for the next lot and that cycle keeps repeating until you get a collection you are  happy with.

constantly buying and selling is the best way to build a collection IMO.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!