Remade classic, possibly Jackie Ross

purist

Some years back I stumbled across an alternative version of a classic soul song, done by the same artist but in a more relaxed 70's style, as opposed to the early/mid 60's original. When I thought about it yesterday I began to wonder of it was Jackie Ross 'Selfish One'?
In it's original guise It was a record that was played on the scene in the earlier days, but also one that had achieved chart success. I'm not talking about a remake done as part of Ian Levine's project, this is something that I'd guess was remade in the 70's or early 80's. I remember first seeing it on ebay maybe a dozen years back or more, by a seller in europe. For the life of me I can't remember if I bought it, and without knowing what it's called I've no way of finding it in my collection, short of going through every single record.
Any help appreciated

Social source share

• Replies 5
  • Views 794
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Thanks for trying, sadly not Ty Karim. I feel it was at least a sizeable hit the first time round, at least a radio hit. I'm guessing the artist didn't feel they'd earned enough first time, so another try with another label ( the 2nd attempt wasn't as strong as the first one)

Social source share

The word Waylo just jumped to the front of my brain, and a quick check on Discogs and there it is. It was indeed Jackie Ross and perhaps the reason it didn't show up on internet searches is because the remade version has no gap in the title, so it's called selfishone, not Selfish One.
If anybody has a copy could they please let me hear it, the official A title is I'm Gonna Make It Without You, but I want to hear the remade selfishone.
They appear easy to buy at around 10 dollars, which kinda makes me think it's worse than I remember, but 1988 productions in general weren't soul musics finest hour, even if Willie Mitchell was involved

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!