Records that were easy to find a cheap post 2000

Dylan

As a follow on to buying good cheap records I was thinking about things I saw regularly and cheap post 2000 that are now dried up and commanding higher prices.

3 from me all bought for 10 dollars or less that I used to see quite often.  So not things that were dear that I picked up cheap at the time.

roy Roberts “you move me”

webs “hard to break a habit”

symphonic four in Zudan 

Edited by Dylan
Social source share

33 minutes ago, Tomangoes said:

It's a long list, and getting longer.

Not sure when it will level out or even reverse.

Ed

I thought it would have started to reverse by now.

i’m astonished It’s gone as far as it has and shows no sign of reversing.

Social source share

Guest Shufflin
5 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

Not sure when it will level out or even reverse.

it won't, it has global interest not just UK and people of all ages are into collecting soul music, one top seller said most of his sales now go to far east and US

I bought a Lorraine Rudolph for a fiver from a Manchester shop in 2000, £150+ record now

got Dee Edwards Why Can't..for a tenner, not anymore

as Richard says the list just goes on

look at "Jeanette", now a £1,000 record, I passed one up in early 2000's when it was offered for £50....

Edited by Shufflin
Social source share

I don't know where this rates as regards a jump in price I read the Wants thread on here last week not something I normally do and saw someone was looking for Eula Cooper Try, I thought I'm sure I've got that somewhere, got it in a soul pack back in the day, can't remember ever playing it past the initial don't like that but it's been there gathering dust for years. I was intrigued so looked it up on Discogs and Popsike ,fluctuated over the years from around £80 to the last one sold last Feb for upwards of £400 with an average of around £230. Still no wiser as to the reason for the price, is it a minor rarity or is it being played out, any of you more knowledgeable guys know. Haven't decided what to do with it as I don't like the record but a couple of hundred quid could seriously diminish my wants list.  

Social source share

Anyone remember GEMM the forerunner of discogs?

Got so much great stuff from there.

One in particular had from there was a mint Tony Middleton Spanish Maiden Storm single sided demo that was up for $10, when I bought it the seller contacted me saying he made a mistake and he was having a half price sale so refunded me $5 😮

Early days of eBay as well there was mad bargains to be had.

Edited by Richard
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

9 hours ago, Richard said:

Anyone remember GEMM the forerunner of discogs?

Got so much great stuff from there.

One in particular had from there was a mint Tony Middleton Spanish Maiden Storm single sided demo that was up for $10, when I bought it the seller contacted me saying he made a mistake and he was having a half price sale so refunded me $5 😮

Early days of eBay as well there was mad bargains to be had.

2 memorble records from gemm for me were the rayons and tony ashley on decca i was actually trying to remember the name of this site only the other day.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

9 hours ago, Richard said:

Actually that’s another thing really affecting prices is the exchange rate, back then it was about $1.75 and now it’s about $1.20 odd 

Best is can remember was 2 dollars to the pound and also 4 dollars airmail to get a record from us to uk meant buying cheap records one at a time was possible.

then the increase in value of records after these times as er changed.

Edited by Dylan
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

10 hours ago, Twoshoes said:

I don't know where this rates as regards a jump in price I read the Wants thread on here last week not something I normally do and saw someone was looking for Eula Cooper Try, I thought I'm sure I've got that somewhere, got it in a soul pack back in the day, can't remember ever playing it past the initial don't like that but it's been there gathering dust for years. I was intrigued so looked it up on Discogs and Popsike ,fluctuated over the years from around £80 to the last one sold last Feb for upwards of £400 with an average of around £230. Still no wiser as to the reason for the price, is it a minor rarity or is it being played out, any of you more knowledgeable guys know. Haven't decided what to do with it as I don't like the record but a couple of hundred quid could seriously diminish my wants list.  

I think thats a really good record tragar was a record label i would always check out if i found one.  

i'm not suprised by that price.

Edited by Dylan
Social source share

27 minutes ago, Dylan said:

2 memorble records from gemm for me were the rayons and tony ashley on decca i was actually trying to remember the name of this site only the other day.

Yes, real shame it went bust. Was heartbroken when it disappeared into cyberspace 😟

Also this was before the US sellers started getting copies of the price guides, that was a game changer as well

Edited by Richard
Social source share

16 minutes ago, Richard said:

Funny as well, was just thinking about getting up at 2am/3am to fire up the dialup on the pc to bid on stuff on eBay before the snipe programs were about.

My Mrs thought I was nuts 🤣

Yes I did all those crazy things.  Phone calls to America in the middle of the night as well.

loosing internet connection with 20 seconds left on auction and nearly throwing computer out the window as you saw a great record sell for a fraction you were prepared to bid.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Remember all the shit talk about "internet diggers" during those times and now here we are waxing poetic about the days of dial up modems and GEMM....the good ol' days! 😉

The growth of the sweet soul scene worldwide has added demand to many tunes that were on every other sales list back then....Fabulous Performers and Bobbi Rowe are two perfect examples. Hardly see for sale nowadays.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, Soulskate said:

Remember all the shit talk about "internet diggers" during those times and now here we are waxing poetic about the days of dial up modems and GEMM....the good ol' days! 😉

The growth of the sweet soul scene worldwide has added demand to many tunes that were on every other sales list back then....Fabulous Performers and Bobbi Rowe are two perfect examples. Hardly see for sale nowadays.

Yes it was another part of the evolution of the scene.

Now it’s just taken for granted but before the interweb only very few got to go record shopping in the States etc. and is a big reason why prices have climbed 😉

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Fast reliable internet and demand in sweet soul sides have both played a big part for me.

you can be in instant communication with Japan, America and Europe at the same time.

i used to enjoy looking through the record boxes on a night out but the internet saw a decline in traffic in record bars IMO.

there was still some trade but it slowed it down its so much easier to do it from home.

Social source share

2 hours ago, Soulskate said:

Meeting collectors face to face in other countries having spoken online was a good thing.  Putting a face to a name and sharing some good times.

Social source share

47 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Meeting collectors face to face in other countries having spoken online was a good thing.  Putting a face to a name and sharing some good times.

Agree...has been a great tool for new friendships and information. Good friends & records should be pursued in any conceivable way.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!