Anglo American records - WTF!!

Hello all, how on earth do you place a bid with Anglo American Records??? 

Website links not working on sign in/reset password or create account. 

I tried phoning them too but no answer! 

What's the fucking point of having an auction if there is no way of bidding?? 

Am I missing something here? 

Social source share

19 minutes ago, soulboy69 said:

Oh, ok. Think it was just after 5 so that would explain that one. 

Has anyone ever used the site successfully?

Used to get some great bargains off the e-mailed list.

with tim’s knowledge I sometimes wonder if he slipped a few bargains there on purpose ?

Edited by Dylan
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Hi,

Yes I have - won a Tina Roberts last year - you have to register and have a password as per most other dealer auction sites.

Not like ebay - whatever you bid will automatically be the new high bid / not outbid the previous high bid by the usual increments - so if its £310 current high bid and you think it's worth £500 and bid accordingly then it immediately goes to £500 and you become the high bidder.

Both sides of the coin here - you immediately know if you're the high bidder but unlikely to get a bargain as your valuation becomes the new high bid and others know what they have to outbid. You can of course bid again 

Once registered you can bid at any time

Edited by Vadnochka
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

5 minutes ago, Vadnochka said:

Hi,

Yes I have - won a Tina Roberts last year - you have to register and have a password as per most other dealer auction sites.

Not like ebay - whatever you bid will automatically be the new high bid / not outbid the previous high bid by the usual increments - so if its £310 current high bid and you think it's worth £500 and bid accordingly then it immediately goes to £500 and you become the high bidder.

Both sides of the coin here - you immediately know if you're the high bidder but unlikely to get a bargain as your valuation becomes the new high bid and others know what they have to outbid. You can of course bid again 

I’ve never seen that type of auction before.  Going one bid increment above previous highest bidder seems much fairer to me.

is the current highest bid there for you to see when you decide how much you want to bid ?

Social source share

6 minutes ago, Vadnochka said:

Hi,

Hi, yes I know about the registration etc. but the function is not actually working on their site, hence my frustration. 

Thanks for response though and for bidding information.

Social source share

32 minutes ago, soulboy69 said:

Hello all, how on earth do you place a bid with Anglo American Records??? 

Website links not working on sign in/reset password or create account. 

I tried phoning them too but no answer! 

What's the fucking point of having an auction if there is no way of bidding?? 

Am I missing something here? 

I can understand your frustration. just do me a favour and watch your language,  (unless it's in your own front room :)....... please)

Use the on Line contact form and Tim or one of his elves will get back to you

https://www.raresoulvinyl.co.uk/contact/

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

58 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

There are people who take offence (not me) and you should read the rules

yep we do have an no offensive language policy

offensive language can cause us ( the site) problems with search engines , workplace filters etc etc

so do ask all to avoid 👍

• Up vote 1
Social source share

12 minutes ago, Okehsoul1952 said:

I've just logged on to Tim's auction and it's allowing me to put a bid on! 

Me too, the box to enter your bid is on the right and the button to submit your bid is to the right of the text box.  He is obviously missing something 😜

Edited by Chalky
Social source share

7 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Me too, the box to enter your bid is on the right and the button to submit your bid is to the right of the text box.  He is obviously missing something 😜

Not missing something, I basically can’t log in or create account, the site keeps showing an error page when I try to do so. 

Social source share

4 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Trying clearing cache/cookies etc.  Seems to be working fine for others

Will try different computer/browser etc. in work tomorrow. If that fails I’ll try old fashioned phone call. 

Thanks to all for input 

Social source share

Can someone explain why a number of sellers (and buyers) choose to use private auctions? I know ebay isn't perfect, but it is relatively transparent. I'm not suggesting any funny business is occurring, but if it was, it would be rather easier to do that in a private auction, wouldn't it?

• Up vote 2
Social source share

3 hours ago, geogger said:

Can someone explain why a number of sellers (and buyers) choose to use private auctions? I know ebay isn't perfect, but it is relatively transparent. I'm not suggesting any funny business is occurring, but if it was, it would be rather easier to do that in a private auction, wouldn't it?

Theses guys were selling records well before online sales and they offer a special service to "normally" collectors who have dealt with them and will continue to do so (based in reputation, not necessarily "pricing") for years and it's like those folks who will stick to their car dealer/ insurance/ mechanic etc. as they are happy with the product and service provided

Social source share

3 hours ago, Okehsoul1952 said:

I'm sure Tim, John and Pat will love reading your comments!!

I'm sure they would. 

If I was running a website and someone couldn't log in or register to bid on an auction because of a fault with the site, I'd like to know too!

Social source share

Top outfit. Loadsa great records. Rick who mans the phones is really helpful so give him a call.

I think the opening comment could be applied to so many computer situations where the software is nigh on impossible to navigate. I’ve reached the point where I’d rather avoid learning a new log-in scenario than apply fora credit card, get on a plane, look at my pay slip online (the latest tomfoolery) etc

I suspect Tim is letting go of his in-demand sounds and treasured obscurities as the market conditions are peaking for both sellers and buyers.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Shufflin
1 hour ago, soulboy69 said:

If I was running a website and someone couldn't log in or register to bid on an auction because of a fault with the site, I'd like to know too!

spot on

Social source share

2 hours ago, soulboy69 said:

I'm sure they would. 

Have you phoned them cause only you it would seem that has a problem?

Social source share

6 hours ago, geogger said:

What’s transparent about ebay, more dodgy listings and shill bidding going off?

its the sellers prerogative is it not how they sell their property?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Yes, ebay has shill bidders, but you can notice patterns for that kind of thing in the bidding history. With a private auction, where the seller is running the backend (the software), my question would be how do you know if anything odd is going on in the background.

Auction houses are a 3rd party, ebay is a 3rd party, but when a seller is running their own auctions....Like I said, not saying anyone running these auctions does this kind of thing, but the system itself seems a bit flawed, don't you think?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I logged in and I was going to bid on Earl White Jnr  but somebody put in £102,000 which then becomes the top offer and I wasn't going to bid over that LOL!

It just ruined the auction end and Tim will lose out because  he will never know what it would have finished up at and i ain't got a chance to buy it.

709134767_ScreenShot2019-07-25at18_01_29.thumb.png.33f5c24b8fe6c1fb5aad73e63d43f9fe.png

Social source share

32 minutes ago, Spook said:

I logged in and I was going to bid on Earl White Jnr  but somebody put in £102,000 which then becomes the top offer and I wasn't going to bid over that LOL!

It just ruined the auction end and Tim will lose out because  he will never know what it would have finished up at and i ain't got a chance to buy it.

Don't be daft , he'll just list it again in the next auction ... :rolleyes:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Top outfit. Loadsa great records. Rick who mans the phones is really helpful so give him a call.

I think the opening comment could be applied to so many computer situations where the software is nigh on impossible to navigate. I’ve reached the point where I’d rather avoid learning a new log-in scenario than apply fora credit card, get on a plane, look at my pay slip online (the latest tomfoolery) etc

I suspect Tim is letting go of his in-demand sounds and treasured obscurities as the market conditions are peaking for both sellers and buyers.

Didn't Rick die about 5 years ago? Or am I thinking of someone else ☹️

Social source share

I’ve always had top quality service and bought some great 45s from Anglo American. I bid (unsuccessfully) last night with no issues.

As the top bid takes a while to update particularly at the close of the auction don’t take the current high bid as the one to beat. It may well have gone higher so give it your best shot.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Spook said:

Hi Chris,

I last saw the volumes at £1950 ( in the last minute) but Ted M pm'd me said it went for £2k

Jeeeze. I sold mine for £1,200.00 not long back, and this was after the buyer suggested "between £1,200.00 and £1,500.00" - I didn't have the heart to take the latter!

I'll stick to welding to make my money :wink:

Len :thumbsup:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Hope you got through SoulBoy69? 

Tim and his team are all top guys, I’m sure there is plenty time to get your bids in...  !  great list this time out with The star pick surely being Tommy Ridgley... 

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

27 minutes ago, Mal C said:

Tim and his team are all top guys, I’m sure there is plenty time to get your bids in...  !  great list this time out with The star pick surely being Tommy Ridgley... 

I’d say poets gives it a strong run for its money I love some of Tommy ridgleys records but have never fully clicked with this side.

the Matt brown is also great both sides the B side a great alternative to the pep brown version.

Social source share

On 25/07/2019 at 16:17, Frankie Crocker said:

Rick passed away a few years ago now it’s Tom Dacey that answers now 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 26/07/2019 at 15:38, Dylan said:

I’d say poets gives it a strong run for its money I love some of Tommy ridgleys records but have never fully clicked with this side.

the Matt brown is also great both sides the B side a great alternative to the pep brown version.

Sure I’ve seen that copy of the Poets before,  looks just like the copy Pete Smith sold few years back....

Social source share

32 minutes ago, Mal C said:

Sure I’ve seen that copy of the Poets before,  looks just like the copy Pete Smith sold few years back....

It could be.  Shame about the crackle on the intro. 

But i’ve got a few that sound worse to be honest.

Edited by Dylan
Social source share

On 26/07/2019 at 15:07, Mal C said:

Got through in the end via pm on Facebook (still couldn't use the site for some reason no matter what browser or computer I used). 

Not a happy ending though, I got outbid in the end, oh well...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!