Version Battle - Being In Love  

1. 1. my shout is...

• The Artistics
    • The Chi-lites
    • Three Shades Of Soul

This poll is closed to new votes

• Sign in or join to vote
  • Poll closed on 07/08/19 at 18:00

An overdue return of our version battle polls - with a suggestion from Paul Temple aka @Rictic66

All as before, listen, pick, discuss

Over to you...

The Artistics - Being In Love

The Chi-Lites - Being In Love

Three Shades Of Soul - Being In love

the more that talk about the poll, the more that see the poll, the more that see the poll the more that vote on the poll  the more that vote on the poll the more that talk about the poll....

Over to you...

Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hate to go against the Chi Lites but i'm going to plump for Three Shades of Soul. Vocally there isn't much in it as all three versions have strong leads and tasteful harmonies, but the 3 Shades take is rhythmically a little more interesting and does feature an organ, which i'm a bit of a sucker for. Yes, on that basis i'm going to go for it.

Social source share

Chi Lites, Artistics and third shades of soul. I get what you are saying  Westender but whether it's the recording or something I hear bum notes from both the guitarists on that track, In fact who the hell asked those guys in on the session, too much! and not actually in key to my ears.... Like the vocals though 

Chi - Lites ! 

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

Thanks Mike. I’m a big Chicago soul man and while I love the Artistics and am a fan of the Chilites the Three Shades of Soul tops it for me with the more upbeat xover style. I was lucky enough to meet Barbara Acklin when Ady C brought her over for a short tour with Ruby Andrews. Barbara mentioned she sang on many of the Brunswick records as back up singer including the Hi-lites then the Chi-Lites (eg I’m so Jealous).  She co wrote Being in Love and possibly was one of the Three Shades of Soul -anyone know for sure and if so who were the other two.

cheers Paul T

Social source share

11 hours ago, Mike said:

An overdue return of our version battle polls - with a suggestion from Paul Temple aka @Rictic66

Over to you...

The Artistics - Being In Love

The Chi-Lites - Being In Love

Three Shades Of Soul - Being In love

the more that talk about the poll, the more that see the poll, the more that see the poll the more that vote on the poll  the more that vote on the poll the more that talk about the poll....

Over to you...

For me,the Chi-Lites version is the definitive one.

Social source share

Never thought I'd ever say this, but the Artistics' version is the worst of the three in my opinion.  Far too syrupy with the vocals.  Prefer the Three Shades of Soul for the vocals and arrangement.  Having said that, it's not one I'd want to hear played out.

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts
21 hours ago, Mal C said:

Does anybody think both the Brunswick tracks might share the same backing?  

Very very similar. 

Chi lites for me

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!