Frankie And The Classicals

Guest melandthensome

Listening to Estelle Bennett and the Ronettes and then Frankie (& The Classicals) they sound nothing like each other IMHO :wicked: thats if you are intimating that they are one and the same :shades: I can see why you think this with the TV connection though.

Frankie and the Classicals could just be someone moonlighting and probably why there is only the one disc :thumbup:

Social source share

• Replies 97
  • Views 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Listening to Estelle Bennett and the Ronettes and then Frankie (& The Classicals) they sound nothing like each other IMHO :shades: thats if you are intimating that they are one and the same :thumbup: I can see why you think this with the TV connection though.

Frankie and the Classicals could just be someone moonlighting and probably why there is only the one disc unsure.gif

Hi Chalky

That is definitely one of the many possibilities,

at the moment we are trying to follow the Teddy Vann married to Estelle Bennett Connection.

It would still help to hear an Estelle Bennett Solo/Lead rather than Veronica Bennetts shades.gif

but at the moment we just don't have one unsure.gif

Regarding the TV Clip which had Veronica Bennett on Lead.

I was just trying to listen for possible similarities to her sisters voice,

Compared to Frankie, spoken Intro included.

It was also a follow up to the Photograph which featured Estelle. :wicked:

Nobody is ruling anything out, Just exploring all avenues in the search for Frankie.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Hi Malc

I hope we are, there are many puzzles within our music, such as Frankie and Joy Lovejoy

If somebody doesn't try to solve these puzzles, Information will be lost through time and

they will become harder, if not impossible to solve.

Hi Roger .....

I have been delving further between posts , and have come up with several possible links that may or may not further our search ; given time , I am sure that I will turn up something from these .

Malc Burton

Social source share

Hi Roger .....

I have been delving further between posts , and have come up with several possible links that may or may not further our search ; given time , I am sure that I will turn up something from these .

Malc Burton

Hi Malc

Thanks, I have also been searching.

Between us we might just get that little bit closer.

If Chalky is right and they were just a group that were moonlighting

then we may never find anything, but nothing ventured and all that. :wicked:

Social source share

Listening to Estelle Bennett and the Ronettes and then Frankie (& The Classicals) they sound nothing like each other IMHO :wicked: thats if you are intimating that they are one and the same :shades: I can see why you think this with the TV connection though.

Frankie and the Classicals could just be someone moonlighting and probably why there is only the one disc :thumbup:

We cannot judge on Estelle Bennett's vocal contribution to the Ronettes' from the TV clip , or from her work with the same - Veronica's / Ronnie's vocals on all The Ronettes work was always far stronger than the other two - in order to assertain whether or not she was " Frankie " . As I said earlier , in order to determine anything , it would be interesting - and we need to hear - the Laurie 45 she did ( " In the year 2000 " / " The Naked Boy " ) , before any comparison , and therefore , assumption , can be made .

As I have stated , we will get there .....

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Back around the time F & TC was a big record , I remember a U.S. double album circulating with it on : each track listed on the album was accompanied by what type of dance the particular track was -

i.e. " What Shall I Do " was credited as being a Cha - Cha .

Strange , but true ......

Can anyone else remember this album ?

Malc Burton

THE CORNER POCKET , Mexborough , South Yorkshire

Saturday , January 20th - 7th Anniversary

Special Guest DJ - Torch & blackpool Mecca Legend

COLIN CURTIS

Info : Malc Burton 07748 378275 / e-mail : burtonmalc@yahoo.co.uk

Mate of mine had the LP with the track on, it had a gatefold inlay with the dance steps on, so you knew what to do. :wicked::shades:
Social source share

Who says "Frankie" is female? on "Goodbye love" (the A side!) the lead sounds like a "Smokey" type falsetto male vocal with the WSID vocalist doing backgrounds.

There is a good chance like on loads of other "group" records from prolific New York producers that they were all just session singers.

Ian

Social source share

Mate of mine had the LP with the track on, it had a gatefold inlay with the dance steps on, so you knew what to do. :lol::)

That's the one : can your mate remember the title of the album ?

I seem to think there was a couple more ' northern ' tracks on the double album , but I could be wrong - it is 34 years since I last saw one .

Malc Burton

Saturday January 20th - 7th Anniversary

Special Guest DJ - Toch and Blackpool Mecca Legend

COLIN CURTIS

info : Malc Burton 07748 378275 / e-mail : burtonmalc@yahoo.co.uk

Social source share

Who says "Frankie" is female? on "Goodbye love" (the A side!) the lead sounds like a "Smokey" type falsetto male vocal with the WSID vocalist doing backgrounds.

There is a good chance like on loads of other "group" records from prolific New York producers that they were all just session singers.

Ian

can someone post sound files of both flips?

Social source share

Guest melandthensome

I have just been on line to a personal friend of mine from the states who is a musician

and asked him if he had heard of Frankie and the classicals....now hes not certain but he said that the name rings a bell and that he may have a 45 by them but the group are a Doo-Wop group........

I am hoping to hear from him again........

He is friends with the likes of Little Anthony and others and was a drummer in the early 60's so maybe there may be more to this thread........

mel

Social source share

I have just been on line to a personal friend of mine from the states who is a musician

and asked him if he had heard of Frankie and the classicals....now hes not certain but he said that the name rings a bell and that he may have a 45 by them but the group are a Doo-Wop group........

He is friends with the likes of Little Anthony and others and was a drummer in the early 60's so maybe there may be more to this thread........

mel

In respect of 45s , Are we talking " WSID " or does your friend have another 45 that we do not know of by F & TC ? What confirmation does he have that they are a doo-wop group ? this is puzzling , as we have virtually determined that Frankie was female , and as far as I am aware , doo-wop groups were usually male , and their heyday was several years earlier than the release of " WSID " .....

I , like others , await your findings ......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Ian

can someone post sound files of both flips?

mel

In respect of 45s , Are we talking " WSID " or does your friend have another 45 that we do not know of by F & TC ? What confirmation does he have that they are a doo-wop group ? this is puzzling , as we have virtually determined that Frankie was female , and as far as I am aware , doo-wop groups were usually male , and their heyday was several years earlier than the release of " WSID " .....

I , like others , await your findings ......

Malc Burton

Hi All

Meanwhile, We still need some sound files.

Frankie and the Classicals

I ONLY HAVE EYE`S FOR YOU

GOOD BYE LOVE (Hello Sadness)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Estelle Bennett

- The Laurie 45 she did ( " In the year 2000 " / " The Naked Boy " )

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unless someone beats me to it, I will try to provide the two Frankie & The Classicals.

It's just that my deck Isn't connected to the computer at the moment. :thumbsup:

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Guest melandthensome

Malc

Like I said the guy wasnt certain

but if he gets back to me then I will for sure post what he says

cheers

mel

Social source share

Will you lot stop it...I'm supposed to be working but getting engrossed in this thread :rolleyes:

Let's throw a (related) one in...how's about a once-and-for-all definitive list of all the releases and variations using the same backing track as "What shall I do"? I'll start...

Laura Greene "Moonlight music and you" (RCA)

Laura Greene "Moonlight music IN you" (demos only?) (RCA)

The Essex "Moonlight music and you" (Bang)

Honey Townsend "The world again" (Mala)

Mark Johnson "The beautiful place" (Diamond)

Social source share

Will you lot stop it...I'm supposed to be working but getting engrossed in this thread :rolleyes:

Let's throw a (related) one in...how's about a once-and-for-all definitive list of all the releases and variations using the same backing track as "What shall I do"? I'll start...

New World, The Burning Emotions, Bang

Paul

Edited by PaulR
Social source share

That's the one : can your mate remember the title of the album ?

I seem to think there was a couple more ' northern ' tracks on the double album , but I could be wrong - it is 34 years since I last saw one .

Malc Burton

Saturday January 20th - 7th Anniversary

Special Guest DJ - Toch and Blackpool Mecca Legend

COLIN CURTIS

info : Malc Burton 07748 378275 / e-mail : burtonmalc@yahoo.co.uk

The LP in question was the Jerry Blavat Story Book. It is a single album in a double album cover, complete with pics, dances and stories. But, there is no pic of Frankie and the Classicals!. I bought it new and owned until '95. It featured Spinnin Top - Orlons, More More of Your Love - Bob Brady, What Shall I Do plus others. I only sold cos of being skintf rom divorce (a common story in these threads!). I showed my album to Richard Sealring once and he too was disappointed there was no pic of Frankie (and at he time '77) he had never seen one.

You can out more here: https://www.geocities.com/geatorella/geatorCDs.html

Edited by jim g
Social source share

Subway Riders "After the session" - Moon Shot - first issue as I understand the second issue is a different tune

Social source share

The LP in question was the Jerry Blavat Story Book. It is a single album in a double album cover, complete with pics, dances and stories. But, there is no pic of Frankie and the Classicals!. I bought it new and owned until '95. It featured Spinnin Top - Orlons, More More of Your Love - Bob Brady, What Shall I Do plus others. I only sold cos of being skintf rom divorce (a common story in these threads!). I showed my album to Richard Sealring once and he too was disappointed there was no pic of Frankie (and at he time '77) he had never seen one.

You can out more here: https://www.geocities.com/geatorella/geatorCDs.html

A big thankyou to You , Jim ...... :thumbsup:

Ever since I recalled , and asked about this album , the title of it evaded me ..... and not being able to recall it , it has bugged me .... thanks for putting me out of my misery .

As I said , I remember " WSID " being listed as being a ' CHA CHA ' : but I cannot remember what Bob Brady and The Orlons being listed as ..... definately not a slow foxtrot or a waltz !

Malc Burton

Social source share

Goodbye love, hello sadness - frankie and the classicals - calla

13069 refosoul

I would say Frankie is a man. This is one of the A sides to WSID and it doesn't sound female to me. Sounds like a bloke doing a Smokey Robinson impersonation. The female voice of WSID is only in the background here and therefore secondary, so not likely to be the one called "Frankie"

Ian

Edited by Ringleader
Social source share

13069 refosoul

I would say Frankie is a man. This is one of the A sides to WSID and it doesn't sound female to me. Sounds like a bloke doing a Smokey Robinson impersonation. The female voice of WSID is only in the background here and therefore secondary, so not likely to be the one called "Frankie"

Ian

I would stake tonights tea on that vocalist being Bobby Callendar, a brilliant Smokey Robinson soundalike. It's definitely a man, you're right Ringleader.

Social source share

Back around the time F & TC was a big record , I remember a U.S. double album circulating with it on : each track listed on the album was accompanied by what type of dance the particular track was -

Jerry Blavat think it was called For Dancers Only, All tracks had spoken intros by Jerry telling you when

they played it on TV & what dance to do. LP came with a large booklet with the dance steps.

Cheers Ian

Saturday , January 20th - 7th Anniversary

Special Guest DJ - Torch & blackpool Mecca Legend

COLIN CURTIS

Info : Malc Burton 07748 378275 / e-mail : burtonmalc@yahoo.co.uk

Social source share

13069 refosoul

Ian

I would stake tonights tea on that vocalist being Bobby Callendar, a brilliant Smokey Robinson soundalike. It's definitely a man, you're right Ringleader.

Thanks Ian & Pete

Bobby Callendar on "Goodbye Love (Hello Sadness)"

THE VOCALIST ON THIS TRACK CERTAINLY DOES SOUND LIKE A MAN.

Could he have done the Vocals on "What Shall I Do"

OR are we still looking for another singer, (female)

Does anyone know the period of time between these being Issued.

Could they have changed the Lead singer but kept the name.

Calla C-127 A / C-127-B

A Side: "I Only Have Eyes For You"

B Side: "What Shall I Do"

Calla C-0127 A / C-127 BN

A Side: "Goodbye Love (Hello Sadness)" -------- Bobby Callendar

To date we have only three tracks by Frankie and the Classicals.

The name suggests Frankie is only one person, which is why we refer to him/her as Frankie.

Is it conceivable that there are two different group members, taking the Lead on different tracks.

Possibly due to the time difference between C-127 & C-0127.

If Pete is right, and I'm sure he will be, could Bobby Callendar have done the Vocals on "What Shall I Do"

As already stated, there is a female Voice on "Goodbye Love (Hello Sadness)" but in the background.

Is this the mystery singer on "What Shall I Do"

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Thanks Ian & Pete

Bobby Callendar on "Goodbye Love (Hello Sadness)"

THE VOCALIST ON THIS TRACK CERTAINLY DOES SOUND LIKE A MAN.

Could he have done the Vocals on "What Shall I Do"

OR are we still looking for another singer, (female)

Does anyone know the period of time between these being Issued.

Could they have changed the Lead singer but kept the name.

Calla C-127 A / C-127-B

A Side: "I Only Have Eyes For You"

Calla C-0127 A / C-127 BN

A Side: "Goodbye Love (Hello Sadness)" -------- Bobby Callendar

To date we have only three tracks by Frankie and the Classicals.

The name suggests Frankie is only one person, which is why we refer to him/her as Frankie.

Is it conceivable that there are two different group members, taking the Lead on different tracks.

Possibly due to the time difference between C-127 & C-0127.

If Pete is right, and I'm sure he will be, could Bobby Callendar have done the Vocals on "What Shall I Do"

As already stated, there is a female Voice on "Goodbye Love (Hello Sadness)" but in the background.

Is this the mystery singer on "What Shall I Do"

Definitely a female on What Shall I Do!

Social source share

Pete, I checked out an mp3 of Bobby Callender on "prog archives" and I have to say I agree with you.......also to confuse things further could he also be Bob Brady?

Social source share

Very good point...he really did sound like Smokey. You could well be right.

Pete, just listened to "MBCLTW" but I think he sounds even more like him on the track on "prog archives" "MBCLTW" sounds a bit speeded up but either way I think you are right.

It seems likely FATC were just session singers who ultimately were looking for a break

Edited by Ringleader
Social source share

Guest melandthensome

Can anyone please put a soundfile on of the bobby Callender as I cant get it on my pc with soulclub.org or if possible please pm me with one

many thanks

mel

Social source share

Guest melandthensome

Malc and all

sorry but the guy I know was getting mixed up regards the doo-wop group

and I am awaiting a reply from The Ronettes to see if they can shed any light on wether there was any involvement regards this single.

Sorry to lead you a bit astray but I am digging hard here to try and find out who 'frankie etc' are.....

cheers

mel

Social source share

Malc and all

sorry but the guy I know was getting mixed up regards the doo-wop group

and I am awaiting a reply from The Ronettes to see if they can shed any light on wether there was any involvement regards this single.

Sorry to lead you a bit astray but I am digging hard here to try and find out who 'frankie etc' are.....

cheers

mel

Hi Mel

No problem mate, thanks for helping, hope something is uncovered regarding The Ronettes. :thumbsup:

Social source share

• 1 month later...

A big thankyou to You , Jim ...... :thumbsup:

Ever since I recalled , and asked about this album , the title of it evaded me ..... and not being able to recall it , it has bugged me .... thanks for putting me out of my misery .

As I said , I remember " WSID " being listed as being a ' CHA CHA ' : but I cannot remember what Bob Brady and The Orlons being listed as ..... definately not a slow foxtrot or a waltz !

Malc Burton

Found a pic of the album for you. I just bought this one on Ebay for $15, is it a bargain?! Always wanted it back anyway.

post-2354-1171206765_thumb.jpg

post-2354-1171206777_thumb.jpg

post-2354-1171206791_thumb.jpg

post-2354-1171206888_thumb.jpg

Edited by jim g
Social source share

• 3 years later...

Malc Burton

TANGO Malc :thumbsup: definitely a Tango, Debbie will verify that... i'm dragged mercilessley on the dancefloor everytime its played. she thinks im Anton whatshisface on Strictly :yes:

Social source share

On 31/12/2006 at 20:13, codfromderby said:

cant remember if it was on here or ebay ages ago someone had a light blue calla copy for sale, apparently it used to belong to mak from belper, never seen another one,

ive had a short intro on calla with goodbye love on the A

a long intro on calla with i only have eyes on the A

and a short intro on calla with i only have eyes on the A

i did have all the numbers wrote down to make sure but i cant bloody find them

I know this was a long time back, but I don't think the blue Calla copy has been featured yet, this is the short intro with "Good-bye love" on the A side.

It would appear that the spoken intro copies are numbered 'C127B' whereas the short intro copies are 'C127BN'

Plus also the slight difference in the timing for the short intro being 2 mins while the spoken intro is longer at 2:28

Here's a scan of the spoken intro DJ copy for comparison.

I know it doesn't help much as to who Frankie is / was though - I've never know that myself, nor been quite sure of the 'he or she' aspect of it either :thumbsup:

Frankie & Classicals no intro blue DJ.jpg

Frankie & Classicals blue A side DJ.jpg

Frankie & Classicals spoken intro dj.jpg

Social source share

I know it doesn't help much as to who Frankie is / was though - I've never know that myself, nor been quite sure of the 'he or she' aspect of it either :yes:

SHE is a SHE John.

"What Should I Do... Should I Speak To Him?" is the lyric.

You've only got to listen to the lyrics and the vocals to know its a female mate.

Had she not got a blokes name, the question would never have arisen.

SHE is a Woman.

A Bird.

A Babe.

A Dame.

A Bint.

A Gertrude.

SHE is a SHE John.

:(

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

• 9 years later...

Would some kind person list all variations of What shall I do/ Subway Riders song/instr.

These are the ones I remember, any more?

Mark Johnson Beautiful Place + instr

Laura Greene Moonlight Music and you x2 one with spoken intro?

Fankie and the  Classicals 

Honey Townsend World Again

Subway Riders After the Session.

many thanks.

Yule.

Edited by ulyssees
Social source share

Interesting old thread..

Just listened to both sides of the Estelle Bennett record referred to (both now on YouTube all these years later). Interestingly, both are spoken word over music (suggesting she wan't much of a singer) and her voice is nothing like the one on the spoken intro on Frankie & the Classicals...

Social source share

11 hours ago, ulyssees said:

Would some kind person list all variations of What shall I do/ Subway Riders song/instr.

These are the ones I remember, any more?

Mark Johnson Beautiful Place + instr

Laura Greene Moonlight Music and you x2 one with spoken intro?

Fankie and the  Classicals 

Honey Townsend World Again

Subway Riders After the Session.

many thanks.

Yule.

Just add the Essex as The Yank mentioned above, and that's the full list.

The Vocals ...

1 - Frankie & Classicals "What Shall I Do" (With Cold Start) - Calla
2 - Frankie & Classicals "What Shall I Do" (With Talk-in Intro)- Calla
3 - Laura Greene "Moonlight Music In You" - RCA
4 - The Essex "Moonlight Music And You" - Bang

The Instrumentals ...

5 - Subway Riders "After The Session" - Moonshot  - Pprobably not the correct title, as this tune only appears on some copies, most have an unrelated audio of session musicians talking after a recording, which is probably the intended B side, as it also makes sense of the title.
6 - Honey Townsend  "The World Again" - Mala.
7 - Burning Emotions "The New World" - Bang (not to be confused with the ABC release, which is a different song altogether).
8 - Mark Johnson "The Beautiful Place" - Diamond (Identical to Burning Emotions but this has the slow intro cut out).

Cheers
Mick

Social source share

A few observations …

Estelle Bennett was married to Joe Dong .. the Ronettes road manager

She was the sister-in-law of Teddy Vann’s wife Wanling

I spoke to Teddy a few times in the late 90s and specifically asked him about the identity of Frankie & The Classicals .. he remembered her, and them, but couldn’t recall her full name .. he said they were just a local group that he knew

The only other female vocalist I can think of with a similar vocal style is Linda Tate .. I’m not saying it’s her but there are some connections

Eddie Singleton & Teddy Vann were friends in New York … Linda was one of Eddie’s artists recording as Linda & The Pretenders on Assault .. and Linda & The Vistas on Shrine

My Bell Sound acetate of ‘Believe Me’ has ‘Teddy Vann Prod’ annotated on the label although it is pencilled over … it is therefore highly likely that they knew each other

They could have just been a studio band Teddy put together for the recording but comments on YouTube would suggest otherwise .. given they performed live

Unfortunately, Estelle, Eddie, Linda & Teddy are no longer with us so we cannot find out anything else from them

Andy

john nicastro 3 years ago

Love this song! I saw them sing it in person at the local dance! But never knew most of the words she's singing!

genuineuni 5 years ago

Feel Calla Records didn't have the money for decent distribution. Certainly, the song was admirable and a Philly regional hit.

Bill Nissley 9 years ago

@rooie16 Thanks Rooie, was a very local hit here in the Philly area, always thought it had a very mesmerizing sound, loved the vocals. Kind of song that grabs one on first hearing. Though it is not for everyone.

IMG_1767.JPG.301dc4709a2999edf082bfe5d05d790c.JPGIMG_1768.JPG.7cdd6d5391da831c19b640c792378306.JPG

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!