Frankie And The Classicals

Guest melandthensome

Guest melandthensome

I am looking for any info pics records etc by Frankie and the classicals..,..............anything at all and oh yeah am still after a uk copy on philips of 'what shall I do'

thank you

mel :D

Social source share

• Replies 97
  • Views 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I am looking for any info pics records etc by Frankie and the classicals..,..............anything at all and oh yeah am still after a uk copy on philips of 'what shall I do'

thank you

Hi Mel

This a a Scan from my collection, unfortunately I never managed a UK Philips copy.

It has the Spoken Intro - Not sure about the UK Philips regarding the Intro :D

What Shall I Do (Spoken) - Frankie And Classicals -

1159 refosoul Calla_C-127_B_DJ.jpg

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Guest melandthensome

ps

its a long time since I had a hold of a uk copy well in fact in the 70's when I was collecting uk 45s like a mad man and I cant remember now myself regards the intros thing regarding the philips copy either

anyone help please.

Social source share

Cheers Mate

very much appreciated

No Problem Mate, anytime.

One thing I've just thought about, On Calla it is the B Side to "I Only Have Eyes For You"

Those wonderful B Sides :D

I think that this might be the coupling on UK Philips, but again I'm not sure about the Philips.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

No Problem Mate, anytime.

One thing I've just thought about, On Calla it is the B Side to "I Only Have Eyes For You"

Those wonderful B Sides :D

I think that this might be the coupling on UK Philips, but again I'm not sure about the Philips.

On my UK Philips copy "I Only Have Eyes For You" is the A side. BF1586.

No spoken intro on the "What Shall I Do" side... just 4 beats and into the vocals!

Nice!

Sean

Social source share

There's no spoken intro on the UK copy. I think there's two different US b sides though.

Hi Pete

Thanks for That I've honestly never seen one,

this is the other Frankie And The Classicals that I have on Calla

Calla_C-0127_A_DJ.jpgCalla_C-127_BN.jpg

Once again "What Shall I Do" Is hidden on The B Side :D

Oh! Yes, and It doesn't have the Spoken Intro :D

Ain't it strange that UK Philips appears to have used the A & B Side from the 1st Calla and then used the Non Spoken Intro.

Personally, I like both Versions, but I wonder if it was Intentional

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Guest melandthensome

Cheers Shute

would have a marked label though wouldnt it unfortunatly for me all my english are and need to be with the centres and no marks on label....

be interesting to see what it goes for though.... :D

Social source share

Cheers Shute

would have a marked label though wouldnt it unfortunatly for me all my english are and need to be with the centres and no marks on label....

be interesting to see what it goes for though.... :D

Yes Thanks Shute

Shame Felt Pen can't be successfully removed, should still fetch a good price though, I would Imagine.

Social source share

Cheers fellas

heres a scan

Thanks for Posting the Scan. I wonder how many records are thought to exist :thumbsup:

I've been looking through records in second hand shops, car boots etc for 38 years

Normally would have bought a record like this blind in the early days of collecting British.

That's how I got my Kiki Dee "On A Magic Carpet Ride" on Fontana.

I just can't remember seeing one, or records like "A Touch Of Venus"

They must be Incredibly Rare.

Social source share

Guest melandthensome

No probs mate

I am now onto my 3rd collection my first one was full of rare english like nancy ames on columbia had a Soul City white demo all the known stuff on demos.My best english collection was my second but sold them due to a bird and a engagement/marriage that didnt happen and now have some nice english but wish I could 'turn back the hands of time'

Although I did cop for a King 45 of Mary Love FOR 20squid years ago and still have it.....err I am now waffling.....dont start me on english ho ho.

Joan Livsey will vouch just how boring I can get regards english 45's.....LOL

Social source share

No probs mate

I am now onto my 3rd collection my first one was full of rare english like nancy ames on columbia had a Soul City white demo all the known stuff on demos.My best english collection was my second but sold them due to a bird and a engagement/marriage that didnt happen and now have some nice english but wish I could 'turn back the hands of time'

Although I did cop for a King 45 of Mary Love FOR 20squid years ago and still have it.....err I am now waffling.....dont start me on english ho ho.

Joan Livsey will vouch just how boring I can get regards english 45's.....LOL

Hi Mel

It doesn't bore me Mate.

I think that English Collections have Major Appeal.

I'm often astounded at just what did get released over here in the UK

One recent conversation I had on another forum - "HitsvilleSoulClubOfAmerica" - was,

did "There Ain't Nothing I Wouldn't Do For You" - DEE DEE SHARP ever come out on British. :thumbsup:

Looks like you had one of the Best English Collections that I've heard of.

I got lucky with some British finds, but nothing like the ones you have described :wicked:

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

At one point I had probably one of the top 10 (non-Motown) British collections in the country and I can guarantee 100% that I would never have turned down a record because it had felt pen on the label. That to me is just madness. Sometimes these things don't surface again for years.

Social source share

At one point I had probably one of the top 10 (non-Motown) British collections in the country and I can guarantee 100% that I would never have turned down a record because it had felt pen on the label. That to me is just madness. Sometimes these things don't surface again for years.

Hi Pete

Fair point, I have quite a few with Graffiti on/Sticker Marks etc.

As time marches on, Mint Records are more and more elusive :thumbsup:

Social source share

cant remember if it was on here or ebay ages ago someone had a light blue calla copy for sale, apparently it used to belong to mak from belper, never seen another one,

ive had a short intro on calla with goodbye love on the A

a long intro on calla with i only have eyes on the A

and a short intro on calla with i only have eyes on the A

i did have all the numbers wrote down to make sure but i cant bloody find them

Social source share

cant remember if it was on here or ebay ages ago someone had a light blue calla copy for sale, apparently it used to belong to mak from belper, never seen another one,

ive had a short intro on calla with goodbye love on the A

a long intro on calla with i only have eyes on the A

and a short intro on calla with i only have eyes on the A

i did have all the numbers wrote down to make sure but i cant bloody find them

RE: "and a short intro on calla with i only have eyes on the A"

Thanks for confirming the Short Intro, I wasn't sure,

something at the back of my mind told me one existed but I wouldn't have known for certain. :thumbsup:

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

British collectors tend to buy anything they don`t have whether they like it or not. & always upgrade the ones they have, given the chance, better label, earlier issue, cleaner, demo.

& never get round to offloading rejects.

Only what I`ve observed like :thumbsup:

We should get some sort of swap shop going :wicked::sleep3:

Social source share

British collectors tend to buy anything they don`t have whether they like it or not. & always upgrade the ones they have, given the chance, better label, earlier issue, cleaner, demo.

& never get round to offloading rejects.

Only what I`ve observed like :thumbsup:

We should get some sort of swap shop going :sleep3::lol:

A Swop Shop, sounds good alongside sales & wants :wicked:

Social source share

Guest melandthensome

Thats one thing I have never done bought a record on english or on import that I have never liked.I know a lot do and man is there some shite on english but every sound I have today or ever had has been a sound I liked for me Berry Gordy said it all 'its whats in the groove that counts'

I also dont give a toss on prices if its worth a lot then so be it also I dont go by opinions IF I LIKE IT I BUY IT.......

cheerio

mel :thumbsup:

Social source share

Thats one thing I have never done bought a record on english or on import that I have never liked.I know a lot do and man is there some shite on english but every sound I have today or ever had has been a sound I liked for me Berry Gordy said it all 'its whats in the groove that counts'

I also dont give a toss on prices if its worth a lot then so be it also I dont go by opinions IF I LIKE IT I BUY IT.......

cheerio

mel :thumbsup:

i did the opposite a few years ago, trawled through every buggers list and searched for every record that was listed over £30 through search engine things on the net, got loads and loads for a few dollars from the states and europe, however a good % were not that good, a few more were available at the same price from uk dealers, and most of them are still in a cupboard in my bedroom, although some that i dismissed as crap appear on playlists e.g sir ted ford ?, brown sugar?, i suppose thats the scene were into,

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Thanks for Posting the Scan. I wonder how many records are thought to exist :thumbsup:

I've been looking through records in second hand shops, car boots etc for 38 years

Normally would have bought a record like this blind in the early days of collecting British.

That's how I got my Kiki Dee "On A Magic Carpet Ride" on Fontana.

I just can't remember seeing one, or records like "A Touch Of Venus"

They must be Incredibly Rare.

There have been several copies of "Touch Of Venus" on UK Fontana for sale on ebay, also Mary Love on King. I bought my Sandy Wynns from Steve Glover from Birmingham, who had an amazing UK collection in the '70s, including several Darrell Banks' London demos. - He's probably still got his collection. Haven't seen him in years though! I well remember paying £5 it - a great deal of money for me in those days! (C.1972), but it's still one of my favourites. Mary Love was £4 I think! :wicked:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Hi Mel

It doesn't bore me Mate.

I think that English Collections have Major Appeal.

I'm often astounded at just what did get released over here in the UK

One recent conversation I had on another forum - "HitsvilleSoulClubOfAmerica" - was,

did "There Ain't Nothing I Wouldn't Do For You" - DEE DEE SHARP ever come out on British. :thumbsup:

Looks like you had one of the Best English Collections that I've heard of.

I got lucky with some British finds, but nothing like the ones you have described :wicked:

I still have a soft spot for English labels. I think it's a nostalgia/generational thing, as owning Soul sides on original English labels was absolutely "de rigueur" in the early days of the scene. Probably the first "rare soul" side I ever bought was "Going To A Happening" by Tommy Neal on UK Vocalion. I nagged a local pub DJ to sell it to me for weeks - though it probably wasn't that rare back then (it was 1970) Think I paid him about .80p for it(?) I later had a copy on Palmer, but sold it. I still have that old UK copy though!

Social source share

There have been several copies of "Touch Of Venus" on UK Fontana for sale on ebay, also Mary Love on King. I bought my Sandy Wynns from Steve Glover from Birmingham, who had an amazing UK collection in the '70s, including several Darrell Banks' London demos. - He's probably still got his collection. Haven't seen him in years though! I well remember paying £5 it - a great deal of money for me in those days! (C.1972), but it's still one of my favourites. Mary Love was £4 I think! :thumbsup:

I got my Sandy Wynns from B' ham also via Tabs [ he's on SS ] who got it from Mitch Parkin .Think it might have come out of Reddingtons originally .Best ,Eddie

Social source share

so we still don't know who Frankie & The Classicals were?

Back around the time F & TC was a big record , I remember a U.S. double album circulating with it on : each track listed on the album was accompanied by what type of dance the particular track was -

i.e. " What Shall I Do " was credited as being a Cha - Cha .

Strange , but true ......

Can anyone else remember this album ?

Malc Burton

THE CORNER POCKET , Mexborough , South Yorkshire

Saturday , January 20th - 7th Anniversary

Special Guest DJ - Torch & blackpool Mecca Legend

COLIN CURTIS

Info : Malc Burton 07748 378275 / e-mail : burtonmalc@yahoo.co.uk

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

so we still don't know who Frankie & The Classicals were?

Hi Chalky

I wonder if these were the only three tracks recorded by them, tried twice with the two different A Sides.

Different takes with the B Side regarding the Intro.

For the same release number - C-127 / C-0127

I Only Have Eyes For You - What Shall I Do

GOOD-BYE LOVE (Hello Sadness) - What Shall I Do

It also gets a release in the UK

SEEMS A BIT STRANGE THAT WE DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THEM :shades:

Teddy Vann connection - They may be one of those groups that kept changing names,

I would have thought that we would recognise that voice though :)

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Hi Chalky

I wonder if these were the only three tracks recorded by them, tried twice with the two different A Sides.

Different takes with the B Side regarding the Intro.

For the same release number - C-127 / C-0127

I Only Have Eyes For You - What Shall I Do

GOOD-BYE LOVE (Hello Sadness) - What Shall I Do

It also gets a release in the UK

SEEMS A BIT STRANGE THAT WE DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THEM :shades:

Teddy Vann connection - They may be one of those groups that kept changing names,

I would have thought that we would recognise that voice though :)

A long shot in respect of vocals ..... There are similarities between " WSID " and the vocal style of Frankie Lymon ..... " WSID " was recorded in 1967 , the year before FL's death . Possibility ?

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

A long shot in respect of vocals ..... There are similarities between " WSID " and the vocal style of Frankie Lymon ..... " WSID " was recorded in 1967 , the year before FL's death . Possibility ?

Malc Burton

Mornin' Malc and Happy New Year!

Just a thought..........If Frankie is the Lead singer, 'She's' certainly a Lady.

No guarantee though that Frankie is the one on lead... but I think it's most likely.

Great record. Still shends shivers down my spine.... after all these years.

:)

Sean

Social source share

Malc Burton

Hi Malc

I must admit to thinking the same, regards Frankie Lymon, but listening to the Lyrics of "What Shall I do",

I then wondered if Frankie is a Female. as I think it is sung from a Female perspective.

Social source share

Just a thought..........If Frankie is the Lead singer, 'She's' certainly a Lady.

No guarantee though that Frankie is the one on lead... but I think it's most likely.

Sean

Hi My Dear Friend ..... and a happy new year to you .

Further to my earlier post , I have delved further ......

Estelle Bennett of The Ronettes was a friend of Frankie Lymon : EB was married Teddy Vann .....

Malc Burton

Social source share

Sean

Hi Sean

We're thinking along similar lines here. Frankie could have been used in the recording Studio.

The Voice does appear to be Female though :shades:

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Hi My Dear Friend ..... and a happy new year to you .

Further to my earlier post , I have delved further ......

Estelle Bennett of The Ronettes was a friend of Frankie Lymon : EB was married Teddy Vann .....

Malc Burton

Hi Malc

Thanks for the Info, I think that we may be getting close to the answer here :)

Social source share

The Voice does appear to be Female though :)

Agree Roger.

The lyrics "What Should I Do... Should I Speak to Him" would also confirm that Frankie is female.

Love the intro version.

"There he is, My old love...

He's with his new Girlfriend

Isn't She pretty?

Oh! He's looking my way

He's walking straight at me

What Should I Do?"

I also find it interesting (stops to stroke chin here) that at no point throughout the song does Frankie sing "What SHALL I do"... so perhaps the original title was "What SHOULD I Do".

Just a thought!

Sean

Social source share

Agree Roger.

The lyrics "What Should I Do... Should I Speak to Him" would also confirm that Frankie is female.

Love the intro version.

"There he is, My old love...

He's with his new Girlfriend

Isn't She pretty?

Oh! He's looking my way

He's walking straight at me

What Should I Do?"

I also find it interesting (stops to stroke chin here) that at no point throughout the song does Frankie sing "What SHALL I do"... so perhaps the original title was "What SHOULD I Do".

Just a thought!

Sean

Hi Sean

I've always loved the record, the "What Shall I Do" / "What Should I Do" is yet another mystery.

Could be the Label Printers got the title wrong :)

As we know, It has happened before.

Social source share

Hi Sean

We're thinking along similar lines here. Frankie could have been used in the recording Studio.

The Voice does appear to be Female though :)

Alright Roger ..... I give in ; I'll go with you and Sean that Frankie was female ( but on a good day and with a following wind , Frankie Lymon hit a very high falsetto ..... must have been due to the size of his jockeys ) .

Still , the connection between Estelle Bennett , Teddy Vann and Frankie Lymon is interesting ..... was

" Frankie " Estelle Bennett ?

The " Who was / is Frankie " now joins the " Who was / is Joy Lovejoy " debate .

Will we ever know on both counts ?

Malc Burton

THE CORNER POCKET , Mexbororough , South Yorkshire

Saturday January 20th - 7th Anniversary

Special guest - Torch & blackpool Mecca Legend

COLIN CURTIS

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

I still have a soft spot for English labels. I think it's a nostalgia/generational thing, as owning Soul sides on original English labels was absolutely "de rigueur" in the early days of the scene. Probably the first "rare soul" side I ever bought was "Going To A Happening" by Tommy Neal on UK Vocalion. I nagged a local pub DJ to sell it to me for weeks - though it probably wasn't that rare back then (it was 1970) Think I paid him about .80p for it(?) I later had a copy on Palmer, but sold it. I still have that old UK copy though!

Hi Mel brat

We had a thread about the English Labels last year, when I asked

" Uk Labels - Stateside For Instance, Who Chose - and which 60's Label most influential"

>>> Link <<< As always here were many interesting replies including one from Tony Rounce

who gave a fascinating insight into the people behind the scenes within the UK Labels and the Soul Releases

Unfortunately some of the posts including Tonys, were lost when the site went down, shortly after.

Although many were unsuccessful in the Charts at the time of release, they did a Brilliant Job. :)

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Guest melandthensome

Interseting theory regards Frankie Lymon

although I would need a bit more convincing......... :shades: Cant see it being him though.then again ya never know but........... :)

Social source share

Interseting theory regards Frankie Lymon

although I would need a bit more convincing......... :shades: Cant see it being him though.then again ya never know but........... :)

Hi Mel

I've just had a look on >>> Wikipedia <<< It would appear that by 1967,

Frankie Lymon's Voice wasn't up to the task anyway.

"Lymon's slowly tapering sales fell sharply after his voice changed and he lost his signature soprano voice. Adopting a falsetto, Lymon carried on. His highest charting solo hit was a cover of Thurston Harris' "Little Bitty Pretty One", which peaked at number 58 on the R&B charts in 1960."

Alright Roger ..... I give in ; I'll go with you and Sean that Frankie was female ( but on a good day and with a following wind , Frankie Lymon hit a very high falsetto ..... must have been due to the size of his jockeys ) .

Still , the connection between Estelle Bennett , Teddy Vann and Frankie Lymon is interesting ..... was

The " Who was / is Frankie " now joins the " Who was / is Joy Lovejoy " debate .

Will we ever know on both counts ?

Malc Burton

THE CORNER POCKET , Mexbororough , South Yorkshire

Saturday January 20th - 7th Anniversary

Special guest - Torch & blackpool Mecca Legend

COLIN CURTIS

Hi Malc

There's got to be something, this still intrigues me

The connection between Estelle Bennett , Teddy Vann and Frankie Lymon is interesting ..... was

I hope we do find out one day Malc, It would be good to find Frankie & Joy Lovejoy.

Kendra Spotswood / Sandi Sheldon / The Vonettes, had a Mystery Voice at one time. :lol:

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

My mate Kev Johnno was selling a pretty beat copy for a friend at the Canal tavern in Thorne and he'd found a Phillips sleeve to make it look better, said sleeve had £3 marked on it in almost invisible writing. Along comes Soul Sam and pulls the record out of kevs box and puts £3 in his hand and walks away, after a rather heated exchange the record was handed back, nice try Sam :):shades: The only other UK copy I ever saw was at Vintage record centre in north London at £80 in 83/84.

BH

Social source share

Hi Mel

I've just had a look on >>> Wikipedia <<< It would appear that by 1967,

Frankie Lymon's Voice wasn't up to the task anyway.

"Lymon's slowly tapering sales fell sharply after his voice changed and he lost his signature soprano voice. Adopting a falsetto, Lymon carried on. His highest charting solo hit was a cover of Thurston Harris' "Little Bitty Pretty One", which peaked at number 58 on the R&B charts in 1960."

Hi Malc

There's got to be something, this still intrigues me

The connection between Estelle Bennett , Teddy Vann and Frankie Lymon is interesting ..... was

I hope we do find out one day Malc, It would be good to find Frankie & Joy Lovejoy.

Kendra Spotswood / Sandi Sheldon / The Vonettes, had a Mystery Voice at one time. thumbsup.gif

Hi Roger ....

Just a footnote to our deliberations ......

Estell Bennett released a solo 45 - " In The Year 2000 " / " The Naked Boy " ( Laurie 3449 - U.S. ) , in 1969 : Though two years later than " What Shall / Should I Do " , it would be interesting to hear if there are similarities between the vocals .

The attachment below shows the Ronettes , with Estelle Bennett in the middle : was / is the face of Frankie ?

Malc Burton

post-5097-1167762172_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Hi Roger ....

Just a footnote to our deliberations ......

Estell Bennett released a solo 45 - " In The Year 2000 " / " The Naked Boy " ( Laurie 3449 - U.S. ) , in 1969 : Though two years later than " What Shall / Should I Do " , it would be interesting to hear if there are similarities between the vocals .

The attachment below shows the Ronettes , with Estelle Bennett in the middle : was / is the face of Frankie ?

Malc Burton

Hi Malc

Thanks for this Information.

When you mentioned the Teddy Vann connection yesterday I thought that this is the most promising clue that we have so far as to the Identity of Frankie.

I have had a look on this >>> Link <<< Looking for Information on the Ronettes.

The Ronettes - Veronica (Ronnie) Bennett, her sister Estelle, and their cousin Nedra,

grew up in New York City's Washington Heights/Spanish Harlem area

I would like to hear Estelle on Lead Vocals / Solo

However looking at The Ronettes & the family connection, does it also follow that

there will be Vocal similarities to Veronica (Ronnie) Bennett.

I read somewhere that Groups that have family members provide a better sounding harmony.

Something that is hard to match with groups of non family members.

On this train of thought I am trying to compare the Lead Vocals of Veronica (Ronnie) Bennett, with those of Frankies.

With a View to Estelle Bennett being Frankie. I Hope we can get a Soundfile of Estelle Bennett's Vocals,

I think that would be one of the final pieces of the puzzle in the search for Frankie.

A Quote from the above Link

"By the end of 1966 the Ronettes had disbanded. Nedra married WINS program director Scott Ross and Estelle married producer/songwriter Teddy Vann. Ronnie forced into retirement by Spector managed only to release an occasional single."

Just about perfect, 1967 beckons for Estelle to follow a different path from The Ronettes, which had just disbanded

Add to playlist

Calla_C-127_B_DJ.jpg--.--Calla_C-127_BN.jpg

Following the success of The Ronettes, I couldn't Imagine Teddy Vann

going to the studio alone and leaving a Singer with Estelles Vocal

experience in The Ronettes, at home unsure.gif

The girls were also from New York City >>> Link <<<

answers.com

Edited by mike
Social source share

Hi Malc

Thanks for this Information.

When you mentioned the Teddy Vann connection yesterday I thought that this is the most promising clue that we have so far as to the Identity of Frankie.

I have had a look on this >>> Link <<< Looking for Information on the Ronettes.

The Ronettes - Veronica (Ronnie) Bennett, her sister Estelle, and their cousin Nedra,

grew up in New York City's Washington Heights/Spanish Harlem area

I would like to hear Estelle on Lead Vocals / Solo

However looking at The Ronettes & the family connection, does it also follow that

there will be Vocal similarities to Veronica (Ronnie) Bennett.

I read somewhere that Groups that have family members provide a better sounding harmony.

Something that is hard to match with groups of non family members.

On this train of thought I am trying to compare the Lead Vocals of Veronica (Ronnie) Bennett, with those of Frankies.

With a View to Estelle Bennett being Frankie. I Hope we can get a Soundfile of Estelle Bennett's Vocals,

I think that would be one of the final pieces of the puzzle in the search for Frankie.

A Quote from the above Link

"By the end of 1966 the Ronettes had disbanded. Nedra married WINS program director Scott Ross and Estelle married producer/songwriter Teddy Vann. Ronnie forced into retirement by Spector managed only to release an occasional single."

Just about perfect, 1967 beckons for Estelle to follow a different path from The Ronettes, which had just disbanded

Add to playlist

Calla_C-127_B_DJ.jpg--.--Calla_C-127_BN.jpg

Following the success of The Ronettes, I couldn't Imagine Teddy Vann

going to the studio alone and leaving a Singer with Estelles Vocal

experience in The Ronettes, at home unsure.gif

The girls were also from New York City >>> Link <<<

answers.com

We are getting there , my friend , we are getting there .......

I will eat my grandad's flat cap if we do not .

Malc Burton

Social source share

We are getting there , my friend , we are getting there .......

I will eat my grandad's flat cap if we do not .

Malc Burton

Hi Malc

I hope we are, there are many puzzles within our music, such as Frankie and Joy Lovejoy

If somebody doesn't try to solve these puzzles, Information will be lost through time and

they will become harder, if not impossible to solve.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!