Blackpoolsoul's profile photo

Brexit and Vinyl ..... what happens next ?

Freebasing Blackpoolsoul

Posted (edited)

I hope this is the correct thread for this topic, I do apologise if it should be somewhere else

As a potential "no-deal Brexit looms" I wondered about the cost of "new" vinyl and potential sales problems for second hand records being sold in the near future, tariffs being the issue for dealers and individuals and customs issues

This article from the beginning of the year is informative, but as I am no expert, so I thought I would ask the forum for advice on how things may be affected

https://www.dw.com/en/in-a-spin-brexit-spells-trouble-for-uk-vinyl-industry/a-47501616

Edited by Blackpoolsoul

Share this source music forum post

soul source url
Posted

Being as a buy my records from UK dealers these days ( the odd time that I buy now ) it won't affect me in the slightest  just as long as we respect the the vote and actually leave.  Can't see it having a effect on record prices either way, the majority are  stupid regardless of where they come from. 

Steve 

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

As the article states a lot of these pressing plants are in mainland European countries.  It will be the same as any other company in the UK that imports goods or raw materials from Europe.  If import duties are imposed, that cost will be passed through to the buyer, so the sale price of these records will go up.

soul source url
Posted

Just in the same way as Ebay purchases of used records from the USA can attract 'import duty' (if the seller won't be reasonable and show a minimum value on the customs label), so the same might happen with UK/EU purchases depending on what type of Brexit there is!

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Project  fear , welcome to soul source.

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted

I buy lots of new soul vinyl, but it's 50:50 US and EU (Colemine, Timmion etc) -  BUT the records I buy most are still 60's and 70's soul, from US & UK dealers

I'm not worried about this particular scare story

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

WTO rules should come into play with a ‘We’re Not Dealing With You Out Of Spite’ exit. So it will be business as usual. The US-China trade war will be something Boris will try to avoid replicating but you can never tell with him. I think it’s safe to assume the record business will be conducted in the same old way with some improvements once the exchange rates go back to normal.

soul source url
Posted
3 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

WTO rules should come into play with a ‘We’re Not Dealing With You Out Of Spite’ exit. So it will be business as usual.

No, it won’t be business as usual. If there’s a no-deal Brexit then imports and exports - records included - will be subject to tariffs, which is the whole point of the news story.

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

No, it won’t be business as usual. If there’s a no-deal Brexit then imports and exports - records included - will be subject to tariffs, which is the whole point of the news story.

Why would a no deal brexit make records more expensive to import from the usa. Any no deal trade agreement with the usa would surely help when importing records. 

soul source url
Posted
16 minutes ago, Leicester Boy said:

Why would a no deal brexit make records more expensive to import from the usa. Any no deal trade agreement with the usa would surely help when importing records. 

Who mentioned the USA? I didn't.

soul source url
Posted

2 offtopic posts dropped

the topics about the effects of brexit on vinyl purchases

As a potential "no-deal Brexit looms" I wondered about the cost of "new" vinyl and potential sales problems for second hand records being sold in the near future, tariffs being the issue for dealers and individuals and customs issues

lets keep it narrowed to that  please....

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Basically I'd expect US import & customs charges to stay the same, the real difference will be we'll be paying customs charges from the european mainland.

Of course, if the pound continues to slide against the dollar and euro the real difference will be that anything other than £ transactions will be more expensive in any case.

I've stopped buying from the US unless I can get a  good chunk of stuff due to high postage in any case.

Edited by timbo58
  • Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted

The biggest proportion of import charges in the 20% VAT added to any item above about £12 purchased from anywhere outside the EU. If we leave the EU without a trade deal, then VAT will also be charged on items from there, plus, possibly, import duty. That, of course, won't just apply to records.

• Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted

I read the latest financial and economic news most weeks and the majority view is that the world economy is slowing dramatically so it may be that buying records might not be a priority. I note that Trump having taken credit for the good growth in the USA economy (it was underway before he was elected), is now throwing barbs at the Head of The Federal Reserve as their economy is slowing quite dramatically. The central banks will probably need to cut interest rates but there isn't much slack particularly in Europe. There is an anomaly in Europe and particularly in the UK. Manufacturing declined 3% last year but spending on goods in the UK rose. At some point soon you would expect this to balance out which usually means an economic hit.

The German economy is stagnating so unless the Germany Govt decides to borrow more (Inflation concerns suggest otherwise) European growth is likely to be poor for the foreseeable future. The other major economy China is showing low growth and trade wars don't help. The Chinese Govt are also taking more control over the economy. Their authoritarian approach may well spell disaster for that bastion of capitalism Hong Kong. More economic uncertainty.

Brexit and its effects are, of course uncertain and open to conjecture. A no deal Brexit is likely to see the pound decline against other currencies. It's down 20% since the referendum against  some currencies. I believe sterling was previously too high but clearly if it drops further it will make buying records more expensive and a lot else besides. A No Deal Brexit is a dangerous game .It's also a bit of a con as this is merely a withdrawal procedure. The British will have to reach a trade deal with the EU . It'll happen quite quickly if /when the anticipated downturn happens.

Sorry if I was a bit long winded but the question raised deserved a thoughtful reply if I was to contribute.

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted
22 minutes ago, Firecrest said:

I read the latest financial and economic news most weeks and the majority view is that the world economy is slowing dramatically so it may be that buying records might not be a priority.

😨

soul source url
Posted

There is talk of not only extra duty being involved but also customs checking delays.

I wonder how many djs will play a pressing or mp3 of a track, with a note next to the decks of ' original stuck in customs'.

OVO rules suspended until further notice......

Increases in door prices to cover extra costs of bringing vinyl over the border... 

A change is gonna come....as Sam used to sing.

Ed

soul source url
Posted
2 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

There is talk of not only extra duty being involved but also customs checking delays.

I wonder how many djs will play a pressing or mp3 of a track, with a note next to the decks of ' original stuck in customs'.

OVO rules suspended until further notice......

Increases in door prices to cover extra costs of bringing vinyl over the border... 

A change is gonna come....as Sam used to sing.

Ed

Project fear reaches northern soul, haha you couldn't make it up. Well you could and people are.

soul source url
Posted

Let's start a petition to big Boris..... If he does not sort something out...We could end up listening to carvers of Devils Drive!

Simply unmanageable:) 

Ed

soul source url
Posted

when posting abroad you will have to fill in a customs form like you do for non EU countries now

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted
14 hours ago, mark b said:

when posting abroad you will have to fill in a customs form like you do for non EU countries now

Why didn't the politicians tell us all this before the referendum! It might have been a different outcome

soul source url

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

Source Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.