Source profile photo

News: BBC Everybody in the Place: an Incomplete History of Britain 1984-1992

Posted
News/Article/Feature Highlight:

Everybody in the Place: an Incomplete History of Britain 1984-1992 Tonight (Friday) 23:35 BBC FOUR
iPlayer link to follow

View full article

A Soul Source account used  for posting content such as news etc in various features
eg

Soul Source Magazine feature

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Pretty cool, especially with Techno trance as the track on the trailer... :-)

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Very good shout - and a great programme before this one on the history of Ibiza , “The Silent Movie “ 

Ibiza: The Silent Movie: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000777b via @bbciplayer

Spent two summers at Ku in the early 80s .. heady days .

1AC9A261-8987-4163-B8D1-8273AEE50592.jpeg

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Surprised people on this forum enjoy this type of music, quite a broad church here taste wise. The ladies in the headscarves didn't seem to impressed with the whole affair by the looks on their faces though 😃

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Always better , I find , to keep your ears and mind open to a variety of genres ... even in your 60’s you can still cut some mean shapes on the dance floor at Fabric on Drum & Bass nights . 

Get some odd looks sometimes though , but who cares , only my kids . 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Stevegods said:

Very good shout - and a great programme before this one on the history of Ibiza , “The Silent Movie “ 

Ibiza: The Silent Movie: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000777b via @bbciplayer

Spent two summers at Ku in the early 80s .. heady days .

1AC9A261-8987-4163-B8D1-8273AEE50592.jpeg

Steve

early 80s must have been before it was a go to destination for house music.  What type of music and crowd was it ?

there are some great videos on YouTube from around 88 but i’m Assuming you went much earlier ?

Edited by Dylan
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Not seen that Dylan , but will deffo check it out .

I was there for the summer of 82 and 83 and went back in 86 and sad to say it was a bit early for the likes of Frankie Knuckles  and good House music , as he came along in the late 80’s.

The music style wasn’t that great to be honest. More like Studio 54 - hi energy / disco music but it was the sheer size and presence of the place. Like nothing I’d even been to before or since. Great place to people watch . 

Saw Kid Creole and the Coconuts there perform their Tropical Gangsters album there ... what a night / morning - great live performance . 

Es Paradís was the club for the foam party  but again not great music. 

There was better music at the smaller clubs and bars in San An . 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

The beats in early house music were pretty heavy, the repeating voice samples like "Jack, Jack, Jack" really didn't do it any favours though and have dated it terribly.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Some have, but there are loads of tracks that sound as greasy today as they did back then... if you want a Heavy beats / bass line you might try Meat best manifesto - Babylon.... 🙂 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
19 hours ago, Geogger said:

Surprised people on this forum enjoy this type of music, quite a broad church here taste wise. The ladies in the headscarves didn't seem to impressed with the whole affair by the looks on their faces though 😃

I did house and techno then got into northern.  So opposite way round to some.

i agree with your comment about some of the early Chicago tracks not ageing as well as some of the later house tracks.  But I guess in context they are important for the progression and to be there at the start of the scene would have been amazing.

i also think the same about soul music the early 60s stuff is a bit bland and much prefer the late 60s and 70s where the sound has developed and evolved.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I thought it was an excellent programme,an interesting insight to a scene and music which passed me by for various reasons .Mirrored the Northern scene in some ways ,I can see why some people from the Rare Soul Scene found attraction in it .

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Hacienda was good ,very good in 88 and 89 but it came second to Morcambe  pier and wigan for the atmosphere and tunes loads of stuff played in 88 ,89 now gets played out around the country in my experience 

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Eddie Hubbard said:

I thought it was an excellent programme,an interesting insight to a scene and music which passed me by for various reasons .Mirrored the Northern scene in some ways ,I can see why some people from the Rare Soul Scene found attraction in it .

Mental music,  birds,  drugs, moody places where you were frightened to go to the loos, and basically running about playing silly buggars all night Eddie, sound familiar? 

Im like Dylan, my heart has been with soul music since first year comprehensive, 1981, but all the real fun was had on the house or rave scene,  I've never felt I've fitted into the 'soul' scene all the years I went, but myself and all 'our lot' from Birmingham travelled all over the uk for 4/5 very happy years, we had a ball and went for the crack...  We knew everybody, all the regulars, loads of big groups like ours from different cities all over the Uk, the promotors, the dj's, But I never felt that freedom at a northern soul gig, not in the same way... 

So yes it was very much the same attitude, but 'raving' was a Broard church, and it was always more inclusive... You just turned up and did your stuff and nobody gave a f&£&£k 

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)
On 05/08/2019 at 21:56, Mal C said:

Mental music,  birds,  drugs, moody places where you were frightened to go to the loos, and basically running about playing silly buggars all night Eddie, sound familiar? 

Im like Dylan, my heart has been with soul music since first year comprehensive, 1981, but all the real fun was had on the house or rave scene,  I've never felt I've fitted into the 'soul' scene all the years I went, but myself and all 'our lot' from Birmingham travelled all over the uk for 4/5 very happy years, we had a ball and went for the crack...  We knew everybody, all the regulars, loads of big groups like ours from different cities all over the Uk, the promotors, the dj's, But I never felt that freedom at a northern soul gig, not in the same way... 

So yes it was very much the same attitude, but 'raving' was a Broard church, and it was always more inclusive... You just turned up and did your stuff and nobody gave a f&£&£k 

Yes our club scene was great and chaotic.  This was where I grew up.

But musically now I tend to be firmly listening to soul from all eras I very rarely listen to house and techno from my time and never take the time to find new examples.

from the documentary

the guy Paul staines who did PR for large raves and now runs a political blog and backed boris FFS and his old boss who paid miners to go to work with the sole intention of causing unrest in communities.  Pure scum.

i was only very young at this time but these last 3 years are probably the time i’ve Thought more about politics than any other time in my life.

crazy times and looking like things are about to get a whole lot worse.

Edited by Dylan

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I quite enjoyed it. I don't think I would've told the story in the same way. It is incredible how it became so massive so quickly and still continues today.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
30 minutes ago, daved said:

I quite enjoyed it. I don't think I would've told the story in the same way. It is incredible how it became so massive so quickly and still continues today.

The programme seemed to wrap up quickly and I feel there was more he wanted to say.

i think what goes on today is a million miles from the times shown in his footage.

Share this forum post

soul source url

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

1. Nick Waterhouse - Some Place/that Place
    Record Sales by northernmod on Sat 19 Nov 2011
    • 1 / 538
    • northernmod on 19 Nov 2011
  2. News News News - Then Use The Submit News Feature Please
    All About the SOUL by Mike on Thu 19 Jun 2014
    • 4 / 610
    • mike on 26 Jun 2014
  3. News: Elbowed Out - Everybody Get Up
    All About the SOUL by Chalky on Fri 04 Dec 2015
    • 7 / 740
    • polyvelts on 06 Dec 2015
  4. News: Magazine - A Place To...
    All About the SOUL by Mike on Fri 02 Sep 2011
    • 5 / 760
    • Rob Wigley on 04 Sep 2011
  5. News: Luton - This Saturday - Place to be or what?
    All About the SOUL by Mike on Thu 21 Feb 2002
    • 1 / 226
    • mike on 21 Feb 2002
  6. News: South West - Soul all over the place
    All About the SOUL by Mike on Tue 26 Mar 2002
    • 1 / 295
    • mike on 26 Mar 2002

Source Adverts

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.