Tony Clarke-The entertainer

Just been watching You tube clip of Tony Clarke singing the entertainer with the cod,s doing the background singing for the hundredth time. What a class act he was,its so sad the way he died,very similar to Darrell Banks.I never realised until recently that he used the money from the success he had with the entertainer,to buy the Brute label off Labaron Taylor. Chris. 

Social source share

Always one of my all favourite records from when, as a little lad, I first realised that there was a whole load of music that Radio One ignored. Not sure where or when first heard it but still never tire of hearing it again. Tony Clarke never made a bad record so what else he could have done we'll never know. 

Rick

Social source share

16 hours ago, JoeSoap said:

Great, great record and likewise for me, always sounds so fresh .

I can't be the only person though, that has noticed the melodic hook was borrowed by another great record?

Does sound similar to Jan Jones but probably a coincidence. Tony Clarke lifted the opening and organ instrumental break  straight from Gershwin's I Got Plenty of Nothing , I assumed this was something to do with being an entertainer and a sort of reference back to old songs. No songwriter credit to Gershwin though, which was a bit naughty.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Listen to Soft Cell's 'Say Hello, Wave Goodbye' and you'll see Dave ball has lifted the guitar break from The Entertainer note for note and used it as a figure that goes through the song. Listening for those little steals is fascinating...

Edited by Soulstu
Social source share

21 hours ago, millarman said:

Is it plagarising or sampling?

Millarman

Plagiarizing or sampling? now  there's one for the lawyers.

Using a couple of bars from I Got Plenty of Nothing as the intro I always liked as it sets the scene for the song. So sample, tribute or variation on a theme possibly,  but still a great record. 

p.s. I see this is your first post, so first of many hopefully.

Rick

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!