Soul Majestics Al-Tog & Chicago Music Bag

I lived in Chicago part of the year back then.  I seem to remember seeing the Chicago Music Bag record out a year or two before the Al-Tog.  Al-Tog was a bigger concern, with better distribution.  It seems to me there were a LOT more Al-Tog pressings around for a longer period, too.  There were also a lot more different artists' releases out on Al-Tog Records, which even distributed a couple other labels.  Al-Tog also had a production group and an office.  I think Chicago Music Bag was just operated out of the owner/producer's home at the time.  He already used the Al-Tog production team name, but, I think he had not yet rented office space.  I used to know who "Al" was, - but have forgotten that.  Can someone here clue us in on who Jackson, Williams, McFarland, and Smokey Hampton were?  We all know who Johnny Cameron was.  Interesting that they published the song through The Scott Brothers' music publishing firm.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

8 hours ago, Tlscapital said:

Hi would anyone know which one actually came out first ? Often it is quoted the Music Chicago Bag to be first but I see no evidence to that. Anyone would know better ? With a story about it maybe...

1914140528_Capturedcran2018-07-0213_09_38.png.6ae992dd9dcf07f29a6185913ad48513.png10879627_Capturedcran2018-07-0213_09_00.png.08ef164ba2ffd961957750dccf6896f5.png

Just to reiterate what Robb said, the Sweet Soul collectors go after the flip, the awesome "I Done Told You So" and they all say that the Chicago Music Bag is the original

Regards

Kev

• Up vote 1
Social source share

5 hours ago, Robbk said:

I lived in Chicago part of the year back then.  I seem to remember seeing the Chicago Music Bag record out a year or two before the Al-Tog.  Al-Tog was a bigger concern, with better distribution.  It seems to me there were a LOT more Al-Tog pressings around for a longer period, too.  There were also a lot more different artists' releases out on Al-Tog Records, which even distributed a couple other labels.  Al-Tog also had a production group and an office.  I think Chicago Music Bag was just operated out of the owner/producer's home at the time.  He already used the Al-Tog production team name, but, I think he had not yet rented office space.  I used to know who "Al" was, - but have forgotten that.  Can someone here clue us in on who Jackson, Williams, McFarland, and Smokey Hampton were?  We all know who Johnny Cameron was.  Interesting that they published the song through The Scott Brothers' music publishing firm.

Robb, AL was Al Altog who wrote for Judson Moore and The Scott Brothers, so that lends a clue.

Smokey Hampton is Vandy Hampton who (If memory serves me right was in The Soul Majestics and I think The Impressions and The Chi-Lites on Inphasion Records, at one time).

John Jackson, Bill McFarland and Clarence Williams were also involved with Alvin Cash and The Scott Brothers Orchestra (Toddlin' Town) if it is indeed that trio

Scott.jpg

Jusdon.jpg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

6 hours ago, Kev Cane said:

Just to reiterate what Robb said, the Sweet Soul collectors go after the flip, the awesome "I Done Told You So" and they all say that the Chicago Music Bag is the original

Regards

Kev

My "soft spot" has also always been for the 'I hove done told you baby' side. Those screen captures are just for references. :hatsoff2:

Edited by Tlscapital
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

• 6 months later...
On 07/08/2019 at 08:39, Robbk said:

Just found out that the Williams is in fact Dean Williams who in 1977 joined Heaven & Earth (replacing Michael Brown as lead)

He was recently performing as Herdine

https://www.jango.com/music/HERDINE

Another part of the puzzle done

soul Dean Williams

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/08/2019 at 08:39, Robbk said:

Just found this note on you tube video made by his wife Marie Johnson 6 years ago referring to The Soul Majestics (maybe this was after they recorded though)

"TC. Stanley Anderson who sang with the group in 1972. He went to The Chi-Lites for a short while. He died in Perivale Middlesex, England, because he couldn't receive a heart transplant."

Social source share

On 07/08/2019 at 02:09, Tlscapital said:

Hi would anyone know which one actually came out first ? Often it is quoted the Music Chicago Bag to be first but I see no evidence to that. Anyone would know better ? With a story about it maybe...

There's a comment on SoulHawk's  (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5m0gXGl5hU) posting of 'I Done Told You' from Kandice Jackson stating 'There are three of us left, from the group. Kandy, Johnny, and Ronnie.'  Perhaps she can confirm if you reply to her? I've got their other Al-Tog outing which is nothing like the two on this 45 ... a bit messy sounds a bit to me like Mad Dog & The Pups - Why Did You leave Me Girl . .. but has a strange charm

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!