News: Film - Hitsville The Making Of Motown

1 hour ago, monny1916 said:

Never heard a more stupid reply I worked away for quite a lot of years but never missed coronation st and that was on a Monday 7:30 then bed 

Take it that was re my reply?  I work away in a wagon, I can't get to a cinema on a Monday.  Not sure what Coronation Street has to do with going to the pictures but I can get that in the wagon off I put a TV in but I have better things to do than watch brainless shite like that.  

Edited by Chalky
Social source share

21 hours ago, Chalky said:

Take it that was re my reply?  I work away in a wagon, I can't get to a cinema on a Monday.  Not sure what Coronation Street has to do with going to the pictures but I can get that in the wagon off I put a TV in but I have better things to do than watch brainless shite like that.  

Never heard a more stupid reply I worked away for quite a lot of years but never missed coronation st and that was on a Monday 7:30 then bed 

Social source share

Is that a wagon that is surrounded by indians with bows and arrows and no antenna and only fails on a Monday sorry only having the craic the reference to Coro st was when i got home on Sunday evening after a massive train journey back from Wigan then work on Monday as an apprentice carpenter 8:00 was cut off point sorry again if I affended 

Social source share

4 hours ago, monny1916 said:

Is that a wagon that is surrounded by indians with bows and arrows and no antenna and only fails on a Monday sorry only having the craic the reference to Coro st was when i got home on Sunday evening after a massive train journey back from Wigan then work on Monday as an apprentice carpenter 8:00 was cut off point sorry again if I affended 

No offence taken but like I said I can’t get to the cinema in the week, I guess many more can’t, those with kids etc. I never know where I am going to end up at the end of each day. 

Given the short cinema release it is either up for streaming or dvd. Also if you want awards you have to have the film shown in a cinema. 

Social source share

Did I read that Coronation St is considered "brainless shite" !

Let me tell that yahoo with a yorkie that Kyran Bowes who plays Jack Webster is considered the finest thespian of his generation. Who else would have his leg amputated in pursuit of his art.

He is soon to appear in the remake of "Mutiny on the Bounty" where he will play third plank from the right on the poop deck.

Mike will let anyone on here nowadays.

Edited by Modernsoulsucks
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Any idea how accurate this latest documentary is. I visited the Motown museum a couple of times and there was several people from back in the day including some of the Andantes and a producer, I forget who's name, but when I asked why there was not a single picture nor mention of Raynoma Singleton they all clammed up and looked at me like I had two heads. The Gerald Posner Motown book endorsed by Gordy was pretty much the same. It's like she has been written out of Motown history all together, however the Berry Me And Motown book by Raynoma tells a totally different story..It will be interesting to see which version we get.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

7 hours ago, Modernsoulsucks said:

Did I read that Coronation St is considered "brainless shite" !

Let me tell that yahoo with a yorkie that Kyran Bowes who plays Jack Webster is considered the finest thespian of his generation. Who else would have his leg amputated in pursuit of his art.

He is soon to appear in the remake of "Mutiny on the Bounty" where he will play third plank from the right on the poop deck.

Mike will let anyone on here nowadays.

😂😂

Social source share

On 11/08/2019 at 22:11, Rick Smith said:

Any idea how accurate this latest documentary is. I visited the Motown museum a couple of times and there was several people from back in the day including some of the Andantes and a producer, I forget who's name, but when I asked why there was not a single picture nor mention of Raynoma Singleton they all clammed up and looked at me like I had two heads. The Gerald Posner Motown book endorsed by Gordy was pretty much the same. It's like she has been written out of Motown history all together, however the Berry Me And Motown book by Raynoma tells a totally different story..It will be interesting to see which version we get.

Berry Gordy had some real issues with Raynoma and Eddie,I've heard that he was behind the lack of sales of the shrine releases.Andy Rix would be the person who would know all this. Chris. 

Social source share

1 hour ago, Wheelsville1 said:

Berry Gordy had some real issues with Raynoma and Eddie,I've heard that he was behind the lack of sales of the shrine releases.Andy Rix would be the person who would know all this. Chris. 

She booted one of the Motown hits, spent a night in the nick I think. Shrine’s stock was lost when the warehouse storing them burnt down in the riots. 

Social source share

On 11/08/2019 at 22:11, Rick Smith said:

I would imagine it is accurate but heavily sanitised with all the nasty stuff removed about how they ripped off artists just like the majors, it will no doubt pai t Berry and Motown as the good guys.   Will be interesting like you say to see the end result.  Doubt we will ever get the full story because of lawyers and the threat of a law suit. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

13 minutes ago, Chalky said:

She booted one of the Motown hits, spent a night in the nick I think. Shrine’s stock was lost when the warehouse storing them burnt down in the riots. 

She booted Mary Wells My Guy whilst running the New York offices,due to lack of funding from motown.Yes the stock of shrine were destroyed at Maxi Waxes,however I'm sure I read that Berry Gordy was behind the demise of sales of the shrine released. Chris. 

Social source share

2 hours ago, Wheelsville1 said:

Rixy boy did an interview with Eddie Single(tary) and it was transcribed (to what extent I don't know) in Shade of Soul issue 17.

Edited by Simon T
Social source share

Cheers for the heads up on this., it was featured on last nights One Show , with Mary Wilson on the couch. They couldn't shut her up ,Id swear she was on Speed. She went to some lengths to  present peace n harmony between her and Ms Ross , and made some crass comment comparing a rare Supremes dress to a grandchild . Still Im a sucker for this sort of film bio and  hope the likes of Edwin Starr , Junior Walker , get a look in . 

Cool Notes 

Social source share

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Great film.

We often take motown for granted.  We often only talk about the bad things the label did, ripped its artists off, the treatment of its stars etc. We often ignore the fact that it took black music to the masses.  

So it was refreshing to sit down and watch Hitsviille: The Making Of Motown for about two hours and celebrate the label.  Berry Gordy and Smokey took us through the life of the label, you could see the love and friendship they both had for each other as they told us how it happened right from the beginning. 

It was great to see many of those behind the scenes give us their take and get the credit they deserve.  The live footage on stage and in the studio fabulous to see.

Of course many didn’t get a mention but you can only do so much and talk about so much in two hours.  

it won’t please everyone that some didn’t get a mention or the way some artists were treated wasn’t mentioned but I guess celebrating 60 years and the hiys they made isn’t the right time. 

I would love to see a warts an all series covering everything but somehow I doubt that will happen now, especially with Berry now retired. 

Karl. I was unfortunately on holiday when it was shown . I've heard that it was brilliant.  Definitely going to get myself a copy of the DVD.  Trust you are well and safe mate.  See you at grumpy soul. 

Steve 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Just now, Winsford Soul said:

Karl. I was unfortunately on holiday when it was shown . I've heard that it was brilliant.  Definitely going to get myself a copy of the DVD.  Trust you are well and safe mate.  See you at grumpy soul. 

Steve 

Hi mate

I enjoyed it pal, excellent couple of hours.

all good here likewise I trust.  Not sure about Grumpy, weekend to work. Lancaster  couple o weeks later though. 

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Hi mate

I enjoyed it pal, excellent couple of hours.

all good here likewise I trust.  Not sure about Grumpy, weekend to work. Lancaster  couple o weeks later though. 

All good mate thank you very much.  Yeah definitely playing out at Lancaster. Sounds like I missed a good film.  

• Up vote 2
Social source share

A few cinemas are repeating it, well two in Birmingham are next week. So check your local independent cinemas there may still be an opportunity to see it on the big screen.

Well worth watching, it was obviously an authorised film so was never going to show anyone in a bad light but on the other hand an unauthorised one is never going to get such close access to people like Berry Gordy and Smokey Robinson. Personally I would have liked to have seen more of the performances especially the Miracles and Stevie Wonder ones which are either not on Youtube or are in terribly quality. Maybe they'll be on the DVD?

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Totally agree with the Tims synopsis, but still enjoyed the film, nonetheless, watched it in Cheltenham on Monday evening and went home happy irrespective that the Motown story was I suppose " a brief overview, rather than a deserved Epic so to speak"

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Saw the film on Sunday at the Curzon, Bloomsbury - apparently the only theatre  screening documentaries only, and a string of other music movies on the way. It was really well put together featuring Berry Gordy himself, so the story was totally authentic in contrast to some of the stuff in the books. In essence, it was a Gordy bio-pic with best mate, Smokey adding to the reminiscences. Most of the early artists got a mention but there were glaring omissions. The soundtrack was excellent but somewhat narrow given the scope and length of the film. Had the film been only about the Detroit years, a Part 2 covering the Los Angeles era could have been an opportunity for a follow-up; I would have liked more of the Detroit story. All in all, a really good movie for soul music fans and definitely one not to be missed.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to get the DVD from AmazonPrime for £10.99.  Watched it on Saturday night. Gotta say it was nicely filmed, stylish graphics. I found it really annoying to continually hear that phaser effect on the music sections throughout the film. The producers also chose to dub some of the original live vocals on a number of the film clips with the studio recording, depriving viewers the opportunity to see & hear our idols performing at the peak of their powers. I could do without the appearances by "current" artists & 5 minute wonders like Sam Smith- totally unnecessary, adds nothing to the film and will quickly date the documentary! At the end of the 2hrs I came away feeling disappointed. I expected a lot more from 120 minutes. The "wonderful friendship" between Gordy & Smokey was sold within the first 10 minutes, it didn't need to be reinforced for the remainder of the film. The "never before seen" footage was all too brief and there just wasn't enough of it to satisfy. Some glaring omissions- Barrett Strong's "Money" being just one. Diana Ross, Motown's biggest star- nothing of her solo super stardom. The documentary was good. Did I learn anything new? Maybe a couple of things but no ground breaking revelations.

It felt more like the opening episode, a preview for an indepth multi part TV documentary series similar to those amazing Ken Burns classics. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!