The New Designers "We Won't Know Unless We Try" on Dynamo

Hello sourcey people..... got an acetate of this from part of a haul off of Pat Brady c 1991 at £15 each which contained a number of good acetates. It is indeed Tom Moulton at the controls. I used to play it at Soul Essence in the 90s. It's a good record but never really garnered that much interest. Yes JM did auction one for c £400 a few years ago, I was curious as to how much it would fetch on OV.  I always got the feeling this was an old group with a new name.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

The copy in the image above was from the beginning of 2017 on eBay. Later that year Graig Moerer had a copy for $1500 on his site and a BIN on eBay, but it sold straight away. I think it was sold through his site, as the eBay link changed to "item no longer available".

Here's the image of the flip, still in archives of Recordbymail

2147036018_NewDesignersCM.thumb.jpg.f452fb36b97f11d69d3a5ca4af5d6964.jpg

Edited by Mick Holdsworth
Social source share

Not sure what Steve g's take on it is but when I first bought the record I found it rather catchy. however the more I played it the more I lost interest, lyricly I found it repedative and musically just to twee and par for the course for the area it was from, thats why I let it go. IMO a good comparison being a poor mans Essex 1v  ' My heart just cant take it' on Windmill. For sure it's a really rare record, but then there are thousands that are average ,yet seem to fetch over a $1000. Just an opinion, but given the intrigue shown I felt my thoughts may prevent an unwanted search.

Edited by Still Diggin
Social source share

3 hours ago, Still Diggin said:

Not sure what Steve g's take on it is but when I first bought the record I found it rather catchy. however the more I played it the more I lost interest, lyricly I found it repedative and musically just to twee and par for the course from the area it was from, thats why I let it go. IMO a good comparison being a poor mans Essex 1v  ' My heart just cant take it' on Windmill. For sure it's a really rare record, but then there are thousands that are average ,yet seem to fetch over a $1000. Just an opinion, but given the intrigue shown I felt my thoughts may prevent an unwanted search.

I still like it, but I haven't played it for over 10 years now and it is gathering dust on my acetates shelf (a lot of records like that 😁). It's repetitiveness is part of its charm I think - reminds me a bit of a Patrick Adams Myopic Music production. That's my take anyway.  👍

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I'm pretty certain I first heard this played by Steve G at Soul Essence and possibly Plinston many years ago and had we had a little chat about it after I spun it in a collectors set at SE about 3 years ago. It's defo a rare record and never seems to turn up and I've never found out who the group are either, but someone must know a bit more about it.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Reforee said:

I'm pretty certain I first heard this played by Steve G at Soul Essence and possibly Plinston many years ago and had we had a little chat about it after I spun it in a collectors set at SE about 3 years ago. It's defo a rare record and never seems to turn up and I've never found out who the group are either, but someone must know a bit more about it.

Yes an old "Essence" spin of mine in the mid 90s, it never really took off. ATB Dave. Steve

Social source share

On 11/08/2019 at 08:54, Reforee said:

Even Tom Moulton doesn't know anything about it and he mixed it!

Does anyone have audio of it? I'm really curious to hear it!

Social source share

50 minutes ago, bagasulph said:

Even Tom Moulton doesn't know anything about it and he mixed it!

Does anyone have audio of it? I'm really curious to hear it!

This one is going to be difficult

Studio was run by Art Talmadge in New York

There was an Interview with Trade Martin here but I am not a facebook member

https://www.facebook.com/pg/tradetalksradio/posts/

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

19 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

This one is going to be difficult

Studio was run by Art Talmadge in New York

There was an Interview with Trade Martin here but I am not a facebook member

https://www.facebook.com/pg/tradetalksradio/posts/

That just appears to be his "shock jock" shows, all his pro Trump stuff. 

I spoke to Tom quite extensively when I did my book, he was working every day in that glorious period, a bit like Bacharach was in the mid - late 60s, and so like any day job, you just can't remember it all.

Social source share

• 2 years later...

Same backing, different singer. This was recorded from a stitched-together instrumental taken from the middle section on the extended B side, with Trade Martin singing over it. There's also some extra insrumentation from about 2:00 onwards.

I don't know why he degraded the sound quality to this ridiculous degree though. It makes no sense, unless this was the only recording he had.

He did a similar re-edit of "Nothing Can Compare To You" with extra backing singers, and a looped intro stitched on half way though. The recording quality of that is okay, so why "We Won't Know" is so bad is quite strange.

It's almost as if he recorded it with perfect quality, and then detroyed the final mix with masses of echo, giving the impression it was recorded in a dancehall with a cassette recorder somewhere in the room (much like people did, and still do, at venues over here).

I haven't checked recently, but he had this and others from his "Norhern Soul Series" were for sale on Amazon. and it was the same inferior recording.

Shame really, cause this would put any listener right off.

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!