seano's profile photo

Vancouver - soul events and record shops

All About the SOUL seano

Posted

Looking forward to a trip to Canada and we'll have a couple of nights staying in Vancouver. Does anyone know if there are any soul nights, venues promoting live soul, or good shops to try and find some interesting vinyl?

Share this source music forum post

soul source url
Posted

When will you be in town?

Best record store to visit in Vancouver proper would be Neptoon Records (3561 Main St)

soul source url
Posted

Thanks for the reply and recommendation. We'll have all day Sat 31st Aug and the morning of Sunday. Arrive Friday evening. I've seen stuff about Burning Hearts Soul Club (or something like that) but it doesn't look like they have an event on that weekend, do you know of anything that might be worth a look? Or maybe if any of the Kimberlite artists might be performing? 

soul source url
Posted

There's also a reggae night called Boss Takeover, see if they will having an event while you're there.  The record stores in Vancouver are pricey and there's not too much in the way of soul, although you can always get lucky I suppose.  

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted
8 hours ago, seano said:

Thanks for the reply and recommendation. We'll have all day Sat 31st Aug and the morning of Sunday. Arrive Friday evening. I've seen stuff about Burning Hearts Soul Club (or something like that) but it doesn't look like they have an event on that weekend, do you know of anything that might be worth a look? Or maybe if any of the Kimberlite artists might be performing? 

Hey, 

You are missing BHSC 4 year anniversary party that is happening the weekend after you are there, too bad. Boss Takeover is on hiatus at the moment I believe. There is a scooter rally that weekend in Vancouver, there might be some soul related DJ events attached to that, but I have not heard any specifics. Here is the facebook event for it: https://www.facebook.com/events/375226786523669/

Kimberlite artists are from Edmonton, 12 hours away. We have been looking at getting them down to Vancouver, but that is in very preliminary stages at the moment. 

It is indeed slim pickings for soul records in Vancouver, but stuff turns up from time to time. 

soul source url
Posted
22 minutes ago, Akerlof said:

Hey, 

You are missing BHSC 4 year anniversary party that is happening the weekend after you are there, too bad. Boss Takeover is on hiatus at the moment I believe. There is a scooter rally that weekend in Vancouver, there might be some soul related DJ events attached to that, but I have not heard any specifics. Here is the facebook event for it: https://www.facebook.com/events/375226786523669/

Kimberlite artists are from Edmonton, 12 hours away. We have been looking at getting them down to Vancouver, but that is in very preliminary stages at the moment. 

It is indeed slim pickings for soul records in Vancouver, but stuff turns up from time to time. 

That's frustrating to miss the anniversary party! Are you part of the people behind it? Best of luck with getting the Kimberlite artists over, or any others of course. Thanks for the link to the scooter rally event. Happy to just mooch around a few of the areas we've looked into and enjoy the visit. My wife is a yoga teacher so she's looking forward to seeing Lululemon stores in the city......

soul source url

All About the SOUL - Source Forum

Jump into the northern soul music & beyond talk now!

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

Source Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.