Jimi Hendrix in Nashville - US News feature

Mike

To complement the above, and for a bit of a northern spin on the topic, I covered a bit of the early days of the Hendrix interaction with Nashville R&B scene in the King Kasuals / Jimmy Church bio here in House of Broken Hearts:

https://a-nickel-and-a-nail.myshopify.com/blogs/news/king-kasuals-johnny-jones-and-jimmy-church-excerpt-from-house-of-broken-hearts-e-mark-windle

Edited by Windlesoul
Social source share

More from HOBH: “In July or August 1965, Billy Cox presented two of his own compositions, “I’m So Glad” and “I’m Sorry For You” to Frank Howard. Bill Allen was producing that session at Starday King studios on Dickerson Road. Jimi Hendrix was in the studio; Billy Cox previously commented that after Jimi Hendrix had left Little Richard’s band, he moved constantly backwards and forwards to Nashville, picking up odd jobs, before departing to join the Isley Brothers in New York. Other musicians on the session included Cox on bass, drummer Freeman Brown and a horn section led by Harrison Callaway. Allen just wanted Jimi to play a basic rhythm. Hendrix had a compulsion to express himself musically even at this stage, and demonstrated this in the session. Hoss didn’t think this was appropriate so turned his mic down on the session and “cut him in and out”. The record was ultimately released in 1966 on Barry, an Old Town subsidiary label (Barry 1008)”

Social source share

I haven’t had time to read the article yet and this may be in the article, Mark’ s book, or elsewhere so if this is mentioned before then sorry)- Jimi played with Joey Dee and The Starlighters for 7 months ( after he played behind the Isley Bros)

Edited by Kenb
Spelling
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Kenb said:

I haven’t had time to read the article yet and this may be in the article, Mark’ s book, or elsewhere so if this is mentioned before then sorry)- Jimi played with Joey Dee and The Starlighters for 7 months ( after he played behind the Isley Bros)

https://www.earlyhendrix.com/artists-confirmed-menu/27-artists/joey-dee-and-the-starliters/77-joey-dee-and-the-starliters

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!