Jump to content
  • Sign Up
Mike profile photo

dms - a current look at dr martens

Freebasing Mike

 
Posted


political upheaval credited for Dr Martens sales boost
Shoemaker enjoys revival as old classic wins fans among rebellious younger generation

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/aug/17/oh-so-pretty-political-upheaval-credited-for-dr-martens-sales-boost

memories of a 3 mile train trip round about 74 to buy a pair, the top tip was to go wearing old throw a away shoes so can wear them straight away 

 

 

  • Up vote 2

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

I collect vintage Docs. Pre 2003 ones which were made in England. They ceased production in England then, and sold the company to Asia. 

Pre 2003 Docs are far better made than any since, they recently started making  limited numbers in the UK again, but they just aren't the same as the old ones, the shape is different .

Docs  from Asia which everyone wears now have transparent soles from the underneath, the shape isnt quite the same and worst of all, the leather splits across the toe crease in less than a year, !  had a pair, they were rubbish .

I'd recommend that anyone wanting some Docs should find some new old stock pre 2003 made in England ones , theres always some on Ebay as there's a lot of collectors out there.

Heres a few pics of some of my best ones. the black size ten boots are early 80s, near mint and the quality is outstanding. 

The brown shoes are called Lowbacks, mid 80s, worn by Smiths fans at the time, very heavy and last forever.

The small boots are my wifes,  again amazing quality, the toe shape is slightly squared dating them at late 70s.

 

IMG_2552.thumb.JPG.959a9f2bb8abd784155be267c4dec8f5.JPG

IMG_2553.JPG

IMG_2554.JPG

IMG_2555.JPG

IMG_2557.JPG

  • Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
3 hours ago, Veedub said:

I collect vintage Docs. Pre 2003 ones which were made in England. They ceased production in England then, and sold the company to Asia. 

Pre 2003 Docs are far better made than any since, they recently started making  limited numbers in the UK again, but they just aren't the same as the old ones, the shape is different .

Docs  from Asia which everyone wears now have transparent soles from the underneath, the shape isnt quite the same and worst of all, the leather splits across the toe crease in less than a year, !  had a pair, they were rubbish .

I'd recommend that anyone wanting some Docs should find some new old stock pre 2003 made in England ones , theres always some on Ebay as there's a lot of collectors out there.

Heres a few pics of some of my best ones. the black size ten boots are early 80s, near mint and the quality is outstanding. 

The brown shoes are called Lowbacks, mid 80s, worn by Smiths fans at the time, very heavy and last forever.

The small boots are my wifes,  again amazing quality, the toe shape is slightly squared dating them at late 70s.

 

IMG_2552.thumb.JPG.959a9f2bb8abd784155be267c4dec8f5.JPG

IMG_2553.JPG

IMG_2554.JPG

IMG_2555.JPG

IMG_2557.JPG

That explains a lot. I used to buy DMs for work from the early 1980s. I'd get them from workwear/ outdoor type shops for around £30. Even wearing them five or six days a week walking on concrete floors all day they'd last ages. Then around 12 or 15 years ago I noticed they didn't last as long, the soles were thin and the leather stiff and cracking, also the cost shot up. I stopped buying them but other shoes were just as bad but at least they didn't cost over £90. Probably the accountants took over and cut the quality just to save a few pounds. Now they are aimed at the fashion buyer quality doesn't seem to count as much.

Rick

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

From the ad above, now this is what I call a pair of docs:

Ed

 

Screenshot_20190818-080759.png

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
16 hours ago, Dylan said:

Not sure if DM UK are made by these people but if not this could be a shoe worth trying for people who like this style

 

https://www.nps-solovair.com/pages/solovair

 

more info

 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.northamptonshoes.com/news-and-shoes/2016/1/9/nps-shoes-100-made-in-england-and-just-like-dr-martens%3fformat=amp

I have two pairs of Solovair and they are great just like Dr Martens of old soft leather and the soles are comfortable, they are not cheap though mine were around £160 a pair but you get what you get pay for.

I gave up on Dr Martens years ago made abroad and nothing quality like the original British made ones of yesteryear.

  • Up vote 3

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Wasn't there a copy called airwair out in the 70s?

Like an armystores special?

I had some bovver boots about 75. They were brown docs, but I went over and over in liquid black shiny shoe polish until jet black.

Yellow Fred Perry,  petrol blue oxford bags, and black docs....

Ard as nails....you want some, I'll give you some.

Then I discovered the friendly ways of Northern Soul, and discovered it's nice to be nice:)

Ed

  • Up vote 3

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Used to be a shop at the old rushden and diamonds football club that had a great selection.  I think the club was owned by the owner of dr martens.

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
44 minutes ago, Shinehead said:

I have two pairs of Solovair and they are great just like Dr Martens of old soft leather and the soles are comfortable, they are not cheap though mine were around £160 a pair but you get what you get pay for.

I gave up on Dr Martens years ago made abroad and nothing quality like the original British made ones of yesteryear.

A well made pair of shoes are a good investment.

 

i have Northampton made Goodyear welted brogues and the materials and construction justify the price.

 

i used to be a fairly regular visitor to the cheaney factory shop but not been for quite a long time.

  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

IMG_20190818_100358512.thumb.jpg.76c7291946134e93f04d853a3256d49d.jpg Solovair Burgundy Rub Off.

 

Edited by Shinehead
  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

I still have these back from the high school days but I never wear them now,

I also have a black pair somewhere

DSC00165.JPG

  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
28 minutes ago, Scootboy said:

I still have these back from the high school days but I never wear them now,

I also have a black pair somewhere

DSC00165.JPG

Start wearing them ! they look really cool .

  • Thanks 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Here's another pair I have. 1990's 3 hole, size 10s, Made In England shoes.. New old stock , never worn... I think I'll start wearing these this winter. 

IMG_2573.JPG

IMG_2572.JPG

IMG_2570.JPG

  • Up vote 2

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
4 hours ago, Shinehead said:

IMG_20190818_100358512.thumb.jpg.76c7291946134e93f04d853a3256d49d.jpg Solovair Burgundy Rub Off.

 

Now that's what you call a pair of boots.😎

  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
Just now, Tomangoes said:

Wasn't there a copy called airwair out in the 70s?

Like an armystores special?

Ed

When Doc Martens first really took off in Northamptonshire, coinciding with the original Skinhead era of the late 60's, ALL DM's were known locally as 'Airwair'. It was just what we Northampton boys called them. The factory was in Rushden I think and the only outlet that I knew of was their tiny shop in Bridge St, Northampton. That and an occasional 'boot mountain' on Northampton market - a five foot pile of 'seconds' (or maybe pre-worn...my memory fails me) which you could sort through until you matched a decent pair. There was a time when they were the only footwear I owned. Happy days!

- Kev.

  • Up vote 3

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
15 minutes ago, KevinKent said:

When Doc Martens first really took off in Northamptonshire, coinciding with the original Skinhead era of the late 60's, ALL DM's were known locally as 'Airwair'. It was just what we Northampton boys called them. The factory was in Rushden I think and the only outlet that I knew of was their tiny shop in Bridge St, Northampton. That and an occasional 'boot mountain' on Northampton market - a five foot pile of 'seconds' (or maybe pre-worn...my memory fails me) which you could sort through until you matched a decent pair. There was a time when they were the only footwear I owned. Happy days!

- Kev.

The name Airwair was/is on the back tag of the Dr Martens along with the slogan With Bouncing Soles.

Bought my first pair in 1971 with one of my first wages, from Mortimers on The Wicker in Sheffield, shame they are not of that standard now.

  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
8 minutes ago, Shinehead said:

The name Airwair was/is on the back tag of the Dr Martens along with the slogan With Bouncing Soles.

Bought my first pair in 1971 with one of my first wages, from Mortimers on The Wicker in Sheffield, shame they are not of that standard now.

Agreed, however, still lots of originals around to buy at a price ! . And well worth it...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Dr-Martens-1460-black-leather-boots-UK-11-EU-46-Made-in-England/273967296257?hash=item3fc9b92f01:g:FCgAAOSwhY9cE4cB

  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Veedub said:

They look great , however I could never wear footwear  worn by someone else so they are out for me lol.

I see that Dr Martens still make boots in England  but I have never bought a pair so the juries out on those for me , I will stick with my Solovair for now.

 

Edited by Shinehead
  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

I'm pretty sure there was a doc Mart lookalike/fake in the 70s.

OR they were docs without branding / tags ?

Ed

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
4 minutes ago, Tomangoes said:

I'm pretty sure there was a doc Mart lookalike/fake in the 70s.

OR they were docs without branding / tags ?

Ed

Sargent Peppers ? I think you are on about I had a pair for work they were not too bad if I remember rightly.

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
15 minutes ago, Shinehead said:

They look great , however I could never wear footwear  worn by someone else so they are out for me lol.

I see that Dr Martens still make boots in England  but I have never bought a pair so the juries out on those for me , I will stick with my Solovair for now.

 

I’m skeptical that this new dr martins made in England line will not be to the same quality as the originals and just an attempt to cash in in their heritage.

 

 

  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

Now this was a Dr Martens treasure trove, Blackmans in Brick Lane. Think my first pair were about £6 lol

Must have been about 13 😬

0D8A1BA1-00C4-42E8-8892-F6335CC46A17.jpeg.31b0f33bb84b70c8eee524cc367f8476.jpeg

Edited by Richard
  • Up vote 2

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
13 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

I'm pretty sure there was a doc Mart lookalike/fake in the 70s.

OR they were docs without branding / tags ?

Ed

I remember Major Domos , they were a cheaper copy of Dr martens, sold in Army stores in the 70s. They did kids sizes too so were popular. Think the ribs on the soles were thicker, and no stitches round the sole . Another one was Hawkins Astronauts, used the Dr Marten sole I think .

  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Remember my first pair..about 79/80... Black ...first thing was to get some polish  ...having an ex serviceman as a dad was great for learning how to get them looking proper shiny..then get that toe crease in..could never stand a pair that hadn't been polished(unless work boots)..local punks round here generally wore them scruffy...then was the choice of lace colour...happy days and great footwear

  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

Can remember piles of abandoned DMs outside football grounds in the early 70s on match days 🤣

Edited by Richard

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

2B55DCCE-DDAB-4FD5-B31C-ACD7CBE45A41.jpeg.2d8f1f78d009c63b426ac4a36a696232.jpeg

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

My son in law's family owned a 200 year + business, Oxley Threads in Guidebridge near Ashton u Lyne.

His family still own the factory building but the business was sold to a German company around 10 years ago.

He told me a while ago that they were the main suppliers of the yellow thread (known as lasting thread)that stitched Dr Martens around the sole and on the top part of the boot known as the uppers. Modern Docs don't have stitching around the sole now do they?

Regards.

Drew.

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
50 minutes ago, Drew3 said:

My son in law's family owned a 200 year + business, Oxley Threads in Guidebridge near Ashton u Lyne.

His family still own the factory building but the business was sold to a German company around 10 years ago.

He told me a while ago that they were the main suppliers of the yellow thread (known as lasting thread)that stitched Dr Martens around the sole and on the top part of the boot known as the uppers. Modern Docs don't have stitching around the sole now do they?

Regards.

Drew.

My guess would be the stitching is for a welted sole that could be replaced.  Like a Goodyear welt.

 

modern cheaper made shoes will be glued together so not stitched.

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Back in the 70ts never had my DMs taken off me, but the old bill would stand on the toe to see if they were steel cap - if they were they would take ur shoe laces out - some of the older lads were clever enough to have a spare set with them 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

I think there's  a factory shop in wollaston

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
On 18/08/2019 at 17:32, Dylan said:

I’m skeptical that this new dr martins made in England line will not be to the same quality as the originals and just an attempt to cash in in their heritage.

 

 

I don’t think the quality was that gr8 , seem to remember the sides of the soles splitting & carrying out repairs with A hot knife was A regular chore ,  

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Purchased from Afflecks Palace around 1989,a beautiful tortoise shell pair with a slightly more tapered toe. I found out years later that they were sample pairs that never went into production, still wear them, although not too often for obvious reasons. White spirit on the stitching every now and then keeps them looking good. Been asked about them several times when I've had them on. 

IMG_20190425_145245.jpg

  • Up vote 2

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
11 hours ago, chas said:

Purchased from Afflecks Palace around 1989,a beautiful tortoise shell pair with a slightly more tapered toe. I found out years later that they were sample pairs that never went into production, still wear them, although not too often for obvious reasons. White spirit on the stitching every now and then keeps them looking good. Been asked about them several times when I've had them on. 

IMG_20190425_145245.jpg

Used to enjoy a trip to Manchester end of 80s and early 90s to visit the record shops and afflecks palace.  Good times.

 

went back many years later but the magic had gone.

  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
On 17/08/2019 at 19:24, Rick Cooper said:

That explains a lot. I used to buy DMs for work from the early 1980s. I'd get them from workwear/ outdoor type shops for around £30. Even wearing them five or six days a week walking on concrete floors all day they'd last ages. Then around 12 or 15 years ago I noticed they didn't last as long, the soles were thin and the leather stiff and cracking, also the cost shot up. I stopped buying them but other shoes were just as bad but at least they didn't cost over £90. Probably the accountants took over and cut the quality just to save a few pounds. Now they are aimed at the fashion buyer quality doesn't seem to count as much.

Rick

I brought a pair from the factory dissapointed in how quick the foot bed  wore ....

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
On 25/08/2019 at 17:33, Monny1916 said:

I think there's  a factory shop in wollaston

Yes there is but its pot luck what's in stock.

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

What about these bad boys.

 

20190909_170223.jpg

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
On 25/08/2019 at 17:33, Monny1916 said:

I think there's  a factory shop in wollaston

Yes there is.  I used to live there (In Wollaston not the factory shop) Same road though - High Street.

I used to wear 14 hole Steel Toe Caps to Wollaston School! (Unless on one of many suspensions) :D

Len :thumbsup:

Share this source music forum post


soul source url

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!
Log into Soul Source

Get max use of the forums

Log in now!

Source Adverts



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.