Coolnotes profile photo

First Scooter purchase advice welcome

Freebasing Coolnotes

Posted

Ive promised myself for years to treat myself to a Scooter and retirement  sees the event  become reality.  Ive hired a few scooters  on Med Holidays ,.. and accompanied friends on a Run to Clacton in the 90's but never owned one .  , and about to take my CBT in  a few weeks.    My budget is probably up to £2,500 and depreciation sees me very reluctant to buy brand new . But there are limited options and I might be tempted by low finance from a dealer.    Its a back up to the family car , good weather runnaround in a rural / semi urban area and nothing more powerful than a 125cc . Question is ... 

1) Do I go with Vespa , which have great pedigree but the name adds at least £1,000 + or take a chance on alternative makes many of which appear cheaper chinnese  imports .  such as  LML,   Sym,  ?? 

2) If I go with Vespa is is worth getting a 2-4 year old more modern Model . I like the look of the Primvera .. or Sprint.. or , go for the classic PX older version. 

3) Is there any benefits in a Lambretta? 

Im also concerned about the high reports of scooter/bike/moped thefts lately ....   

Cool Notes. 

Share this source music forum post

soul source url
Posted

lambretta £2500 li125 might just get into that but needs work vespas is way to go as its a 125 Px probably

you could go new on a royal alloy gt/gp125 look like lambretta about £2500 for air cooled.

best bet is to look online and join a scooter forum

soul source url
Posted

You could go for an LML Star which was the Indian version of a PX and is cheaper. It’s near as dammit but for the badges.

You need to also think do you want automatic or traditional gear change. You can get auto LMLs but PX is manual only. Also think about if you want 2 stroke or 4 stroke, LMLs come as both but PX 2 stroke only.

If you went Lambretta as Mark says above you’d be lucky to get one in decent Nick for 2.5k and if you haven’t worked on them before a whole load of cost for labour charges, although with the electronic ignition kits around now are now more reliable.

If you don’t mind about the badges LML might be the way forward but having said that personally I’ve only ever had Vespas and Lambrettas.

Buy a decent lid it (may save your life) and wear decent gloves even in summer 👍

But most importantly no parka with a million patches 🤣

Hope you get one you like and enjoy 😉 

soul source url
Posted

Oh and might be a good idea to join a scooter club, there will be a wealth of knowledge with friendly folk who will be more than happy to help you out with basic maintenance etc.

You’d also probably have a few members who’d help you look at a few with you to make sure you don’t buy a dud👍

soul source url
Posted

Vespa px probably best option..decent quality..plenty of spares about..be lucky to get small frame/primavera I would have thought for your budget...deffo be tight with lambretta for 2500....depends if you want the look.. I hear the piaggio typhoons are decent..not sure of price or if still around ...best bet look for local scooter club...and like said before best helmet you can afford and jacket...ride safe have fun

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Twinroots think coolnotes was meaning new style primmy auto rather than traditional 👍

Actually if you are looking at Primavera you do realise they are a smaller frame coolnotes??

Gts and sprint are similar size to a PX 👍

Edited by Richard

soul source url
Posted

Cheers for these responses guys. Im really buzzing about this after so many years .  I think Im leaning towards classic retro look .. but as much modern extra's and tech n spec as I can get . Which sees me favour Automatic's over the gear change .. Im assuming the  CBT doesn't; restrict me to what scooter Im  allowed to ride. (Ive found a test which provides a scooter for the day, which is a bonus..)     Id initially  got the impression that most scooterists look down on cheaper chinese models ,at a local scooter event last weekend 80% were Vespa's or Lambretta's , but at the Blackpool weekender I was chatting to scooter steward who said scooterists are much more open minded than that  .     Im aware that the Primavera might be a smaller frame , which I think might suit me as  Im only 5.,ft 7 and visiting a couple of show rooms I was shocked at how big .. and heavy some of the Vespa's were , far bigger than the scooters Id ridden on holidays. A Vespa GTS comes in at 158 kg whilst the Primavera is about 115 kg and some of the LML models 102kg but I think they are more plastic. Is there any advantage to more or less weight /bulk ? such as safety and control . ?   Im looking at local scooter clubs , as I see it as something of a Soul badge on wheels for me. !, sadly I remember neo nazi elements on the Clacton run taking over the dance floor in the 80's and 90's . I think this stuff  has faded out now  , and I saw non of that evident at Blackpool. If I wanted to invest in customising it ... with a Soul tribute .. how much would I expect to pay ? 

soul source url
Posted (edited)

I’ll be honest I’d never touch a Chinese scooter or motorbike with a 20 foot barge poll.

Are you sure you’re looking at the right LMLs? They are Vespas made under the Indian badge.

71503113-60CB-4F5D-9E0B-2BF7E1C1E9BD.jpeg.d0a3234f4189ac901f90312d23d9e58b.jpeg

Edited by Richard
  • Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Didn't realise that they'd redone primavera...thought he meant the old small frame125..I looked a few years ago for small frames. .prices well above what I expected..been out the scooter loop for a few years although I do still have 2..you basically get what you pay for..avoid Chinese..hand gear change doesn't take much getting used too..but I suppose autos have there advantages..that being said buy what you like..custom how you like and enjoy👍🏽

• Up vote 1

soul source url

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

Source Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.