André Brasseur - Holiday/ The Kid

Lenny

Not a big fan.  A bit of a trudge in the sludge.  All 60’s sitcom background naivety and not much testosterone.  It’s a nice copy.  Lovely sound with standard low-level crackles.  Any fans?  Any idea of value?

IMG_1837.JPG

IMG_1840.JPG

Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

46 minutes ago, Lenny said:

Not a big fan.  A bit of a trudge in the sludge.  All 60’s sitcom background naivety and not much testosterone.  It’s a nice copy.  Lovely sound with standard low-level crackles.  Any fans?  Any idea of value?

IMG_1837.JPG

IMG_1840.JPG

Something way back in the deepest and darkest recesses of my mind tells me that this was mislabelled, in much the same way as Gerry and Paul's Catwalk? i.e., The Kid is actually Holiday, and vice versa. Or am I just being an aged addle brained twonk again?

Value? Not a sodding scooby, but there are plenty on here who'll know. Or, you can go off Discogs value, which is pennies, even if genuine. Lots of boots around back in the day, which is why most of us back then preferred a CBS British copy. I also think there used to be a thread about this on the site so you could try trawling them.

Fans? There will still be lots. Especially those who were around back in the 70-72 era. The Kid was played at the Wheel and pretty much all other soul clubs of the time. It was also one of those 'Niter sounds, along with the likes of Scratchy, Breakout, Tell Her, Nobody but me, and a veritable host of others which crossed over not just to most youth clubs in the greater Manchester area, but also to the regular mainstream ballroom discos of the time, run by the likes of Mecca et al. In fact, I can recall The Kid being played extensively at the Cats Whiskers in Oldham, right up to 74-75. So, basically, you just had to be there. If you weren't you weren't, but if you were, The Kid will probably have some pretty wonderful memories for you.

Social source share

7 minutes ago, Joey said:

Something way back in the deepest and darkest recesses of my mind tells me that this was mislabelled, in much the same way as Gerry and Paul's Catwalk? i.e., The Kid is actually Holiday, and vice versa. Or am I just being an aged addle brained twonk again?

I think you're correct and as a result there are now a number of misleading versions of The Kid-that-is-actually-Holiday on Youtube.  

Social source share

2 hours ago, Lenny said:

IMG_1837.JPG

IMG_1840.JPG

I am secret (not now) fan of Andre (the Belgian) (value of this is between £25 and £30ish)

Just picked up his amazing LP with FUNKY on it which I (JE) adore

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

12 minutes ago, Lenny said:

I think you're correct and as a result there are now a number of misleading versions of The Kid-that-is-actually-Holiday on Youtube.  

Yeah, lots on YouTube. I think the only way most people knew about the mislabelling was as a result of the '66 LP, which included both tracks. Very confusing for a young kid back then!

As an aside, and connecting to an old thread re rhythmic hand clapping to tracks, most said this began in or around 72. Not so. I can distinctly remember rhythmic hand claps to The Kid/Holiday at youth clubs etc. which was a year or two earlier.

Social source share

8 minutes ago, Joey said:

Yeah, lots on YouTube. I think the only way most people knew about the mislabelling was as a result of the '66 LP, which included both tracks. Very confusing for a young kid back then!

I had to source a "live" version to work out which was what.  

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!