The Four Pro's.....Line Up ?

I apologise if this has been covered before and please direct me to a thread if it has.

Back in the past before the internet, I seem to recall someone telling me that the "Just Another Girl" the group were The Soul Twins (Hal and Harold Degraffenreid) "Quick Change Artist" who added 2 more to become The Four Pro's.

That may be wrong of course and they could be linked to The Professionals "That's Why I Love You" (Regge Green, Fred (Fast Freddie) Anderson, Steve Calloway & Nance (Swiggle) Connor).

Perhaps someone knows which info (if any) is correct and clarify

Soul Twins.jpg

Professionals.jpg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

On 25/08/2019 at 19:24, Chalky said:

Soul Harmony Singles has Derrick down as the lead as well, nothing else.

I have done some digging and found this which is interesting but nothing concrete

https://soulfuldetroit.com/archives/2198/1398.html?1039573444

This site seems to contradict the Four Bars assumption anyway

https://www.uncamarvy.com/4Bars/4bars.html

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

5 hours ago, Gilly said:

Not a dead end at all, try this Lawrence (Larry) Thomas, Derek (Draw) Ali, Samuel Harris and Lloyd Harris. 

It's in your book mate isn't it 🎩, I sort of expected you to know....thanks. None of this guys are names I know, are you able to Kindly expand on the details please

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

2 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

It's in your book mate isn't it 🎩, I sort of expected you to know....thanks. None of this guys are names I know, are you able to Kindly expand on the details please

No its not in my book mate, I guess it could be

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

So do you know more about these guys ?

I know a little more but sometimes you have to be careful, there is always someone ready to pounce on the information and use it to their gain, next you know facts get written as if they are the bringer of the news

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Just now, Gilly said:

I know a little more but sometimes you have to be careful, there is always someone ready to pounce on the information and use it to their gain, next you know facts get written as if they are the bringer of the news

Get it in your book mate, they need recognition before history is lost

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Frank Garcia gave the info on Facebook..courtesy of Kev’s Detroit Soul

The Four Pros were my cousins by marriage: Derek (Draw) Ali, Samuel Harris and Lloyd Harris along with Larry Thomas.All attended MacKenzie High School with my wife Claudette. This also includes the original members of the vocal groups: The Fabulous Apollo's & Erik & The Vikings. Lioyd and Sam passed away several years ago, Derek is still around as far as I know, a student and professor in the Muslim community, and Larry moved to Las Vegas many years ago. I have no recent contact with Larry or Derek. That's the voice of Larry Thomas singing the lead to "Just Another Girl" in his best Otis Redding performance

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I hope Kevin doesn’t mind, more info from Laurence

To Hitsville Dave...Yes, Johnnie Griffin introduced us to Ollie. If you look at the Four Pros picture you will see that management was G&G Productions. That was for Richard Green and Johnnie Griffin, the Pros. signed with them for management after we took 2nd place in the 1964 WCHB Talent Contest.The contest was won by The Jones Sisters. We did not have to audition for Motown because   we were all over the place with them. We did a lot of background singing sessions for Marv Johnson, Tammie Terrell and others. We could have signed but were advised not to because Berry Gordy was signing a lot of groups and just putting them on the shelf. I see you have Eric & The Vikings, they fell for that. They were our rivals in our neighborhood and were known as The Sonics. We use to battle all the time (They would lose...ask Clifford L Moore) LOL But, we had a lot of studio time with Motown and when we recorded for Ollie we did our own stuff. Ollie never got involved with our management. Our personal managers were Carnell Draw and Sonny Broadnax. They took us to Johnnie and Sonny took us to the 4 Tops. Sonny did a lot of song writing for them, Stevie Wonder & others. We were known as the Little Four Tops because of our tight harmony and because Johnnie was a Funk Brother we got called for a lot of sessions at the last minute because we could learn fast. When you hear Marv Johnson "I MISS YOU BABY" That's the Pros.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

this topic has been closed by the topic starter

while members can close topics that they have started, we  do suggest/request that when closing they also post up the reason why 

that will then help avoids misunderstandings etc etc

Edited by Mike
tidy
Social source share

Sorry Mike.....Gilly and Chalky did an amazing job on informing me and others about the group and I felt that no more info was necessary as the question has been answered

9 hours ago, Mike said:

this topic has been closed by the topic starter

while members can close topics that they have started, we  do suggest/request that when closing they also post up the reason why 

that will then help avoids misunderstandings etc etc

Social source share

From Laurence...

it's the Four Pros. sing background on I Miss You. Here's some inside information. We sang a harmonic progression in the bridge that was a building of our voices that was magnificent. When we heard the final version our harmonies were gone. We asked Johnnie Griffin what happened to it and he said: "We had to take it out because no body would be able to sing it live but you guys." I would guess it's still on the master track.

Three acetates listed on DFTMC...

Oct-65 [acetate]; 45 (M): CBMN 2993-NH1 [alternate mix]
12-Nov-65 [acetate]; 45 (M): CBMN 3228-NH1 [alternate mix]
Nov-65 [acetate]; 45 (M): CBMN 3230-NH1 [alternate mix]

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Laurence about Ollie McLaughlin...

(The dogs What? LOL) OK Kev....about Ollie. The last recording session that I remember with Ollie was on a song called "Hunch'in & Crunch'in". It was at his recording studio on Livernois and Fenkell in Detroitl. That song is on my Four Pros. CD ask David if he has it and if not I do. Anyway, I remember the Funk Brothers played the track and they were recording it while we were learning the song. We had never heard it before. Our Co-Manager Johnnie Griffin (Keyboard player for The Funk Brother) was taking us through the song. Ollie was really excited because the Capitals had just gone Gold with "Cool Jerk" and Ollie was running between us and the studio talking about how this record is going to be just as big a Cool Jerk. Once the rhythm section got finished Ollie came into the room and said "We are going to record the horns and then we'll be ready for the Pros."  While we were rehearsing Sam (lead singer for the Capitals) came in. He had on a full length white Mink coat and a $900.00 Diamond ring he showed us. Sam said he had just got off a plane from California and was just stopping by to say hi, before he went home. When the horns finished The Pros. went in to lay the vocals. Derrick Draw sang the lead and we did the background. We did the background in one take and Derrick did the lead in two takes. The session was over for us and we had been there about six hours. Ollie was a lively guy with a lot of energy and enthusiasm.

Just Another Girl was recorded at United Sound Studio. Ollie did not run the mixing board at any session that we did with him, as I remember.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

7 hours ago, Gilly said:

Ollie had an office within the United Sound building, Cool Jerk was one of the last things cut at Golden World

Ollie is now in the Michigan Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame..... story here, including some other artists we know

https://www.michiganrockandrolllegends.com/mrrl-hall-of-fame/298-ollie-mclaughlin

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!