Blackpoolsoul profile photo

I Get The Sweetest Feeling - different version

Posted

I was just looking at the Jackie Wilson thread

Has anyone heard the version by "The Sugar Lumps" and was it ever played out (LP only)

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

What Lp is it on? I don’t know an Lp by the Sugar Lumps?

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

do you mean The Sugar Lumps on Uptown 'Won't You Help Me'? are they on LP somewhere?

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Chalky said:

What Lp is it on? I don’t know an Lp by the Sugar Lumps?

Sorry, I should have said it's on a various artists thing a bit like the California Raisons thing

I'll get it recorded so you can listen, I really like it as a cover version

Just now, Kenb said:

do you mean The Sugar Lumps on Uptown 'Won't You Help Me'? are they on LP somewhere?

It's UK and a made up name and please be patient with me as I am trying to research it

Edited by Blackpoolsoul

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Is Sugar Lumps the group or the name of the compilation?

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

From Wikipedia 

 

A cover version was recorded by Aretha Franklin's sister Erma Franklin in 1970 as the B-side to a pair of Jackie Wilson songs (A-side: Whispers (Gettin' Louder)) and was part of a 1986 NME Northern soulcompilation cassette, Feet Start Dancing.

 

is it this one or another ?

Edited by Dylan

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
14 minutes ago, Dylan said:

From Wikipedia 

 

A cover version was recorded by Aretha Franklin's sister Erma Franklin in 1970 as the B-side to a pair of Jackie Wilson songs (A-side: Whispers (Gettin' Louder)) and was part of a 1986 NME Northern soulcompilation cassette, Feet Start Dancing.

 

is it this one or another ?

I can 100% assure you it's different version from a sort of novelty LP

There is also a very very nice version of Sweet Illusion (Junior Campbell)

22 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Is Sugar Lumps the group or the name of the compilation?

Group

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

well if its's UK...The Chants covered Sweetest Feeling. which included Eddie Amoo (Chris's brother of The Real Thing).

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
13 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

I can 100% assure you it's different version from a sort of novelty LP

There is also a very very nice version of Sweet Illusion (Junior Campbell)

Group

Sounds like the Spice Girls piss take group on comic relief in the 90s featuring French And Saunders and Kathy Burke .

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
2 minutes ago, Shinehead said:

Sounds like the Spice Girls piss take group on comic relief in the 90s featuring French And Saunders and Kathy Burke .

Ha

13 minutes ago, Kenb said:

well if its's UK...The Chants covered Sweetest Feeling. which included Eddie Amoo (Chris's brother of The Real Thing).

Great shout, but not that version

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

What is the Lp?

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

OOh not yet Chalky

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

Solid gold - Parade of pops on UK windmill?

Edited by Benji

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
Just now, Benji said:

Parade of pops on UK windmill?

Good shout but not that

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Re-mixing time in study is booked for 13th September and will have cuts of the 2 tunes ready around the 20th so will let everyone have a listen

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

There are half a dozen or so different "unknown artist" LP's from that time that contain anonymous covers of the track in question , guess it could be from any one of them , shan't list them all as they're easy enough to find on Discogs.

Would be interesting to know who some of the cover artists were though , they can't all have been unknown singers. 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, WoodButcher said:

There are half a dozen or so different "unknown artist" LP's from that time that contain anonymous covers of the track in question , guess it could be from any one of them , shan't list them all as they're easy enough to find on Discogs.

Would be interesting to know who some of the cover artists were though , they can't all have been unknown singers. 

Believe me there is no way of finding out or I would have done, they must have been called in to perform these tunes and were NEVER credited and this LP never has been on Discogs

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

Right here we go, chopped for obvious reasons

Will be interested on thoughts, as like every other record it will be marmite (I believe it is possible that other yeast extracts may be available)

The sweetest finale.mp3

Marmite.jpg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

just another cover, not enough soul for my ears, sorry

 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Never knowingly heard that version. A bit karaoke ish.

For me nobody has done a better version than JW of his own songs, but I will say his versions of others songs have not all ways been the best.

IGTSF is top drawer stuff from JW. 

Ed

 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
3 hours ago, stillsoulin said:

just another cover, not enough soul for my ears, sorry

 

I agree

Usually not a huge JW fan. But his version is a masterpiece. Erma F is close second.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

Bit sugary (no pun intended) pop, MOR.  When was it made?

Edited by Chalky

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
41 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Bit sugary (no pun intended) pop, MOR.  When was it made?

1981

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
17 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

1981

I though it was 80s or 90s

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Never heard the Chants version out and not compiled but had the wonderful 'I Don't need Your Love' on 7" demo. I adore that song.

Someone doesn't like JW. Gosh!

 

 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

 

Share this forum post


soul source url

Look At Your Box - Source Forum

Get into the record & soul music talk

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!
Log into Soul Source

Get max use of the forums

Log in now!

  1. Santiago Feeling Good bam buu original 1st pressing
    Record Sales by Mark68 on Wed 12 Feb 2020
    • 1 / 217
    • Mark68 on 12 Feb 2020
  2. Barbara Lynn-Mellow Feeling
    Record Wants by Darren Sykes on Thu 19 Dec 2019
    • 2 / 206
    • Darren Sykes on 21 Dec 2019
  3. Same tune different day
    All About the SOUL by Reissue55 on Sat 07 Dec 2019
    • 3 / 352
    • Shufflin on 07 Dec 2019
  4. The Metros ‎– Sweetest One LP
    Record Sales by Donkit on Mon 19 Aug 2019
    • 3 / 285
    • Donkit on 23 Sep 2019
  5. DEE IRWIN - I ONLY GET THIS FEELING - IMPERIAL
    Record Wants by Redstripe on Fri 20 Sep 2019
    • 5 / 278
    • Topo1964 on 22 Sep 2019

Source Adverts



×
×
  • Create New...

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.