Darlene love

Jazz

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

It was never out near the time of its recording.  But, it was pressed up on a look-alike/facsimile Philles label, (one of a series of many unreleased and LP cuts released as two vocal-sided Philles 45s (classic yellow 1963-65 label), during the late 1970s (or early 1980s?), along with many Crystals, Ronettes, other Darlene Love, and others.

Social source share

'A Long Way to Be Happy' was unreleased until 1976 when it appeared on the UK-only  Phil Spector International label LP  'Rare Masters Vol  2 ' and,as my friend RobbK says,was issued later on 45' in the US. A great track(Darlene in fine form) that I've long admired-and felt long overdue for  plays on the scene;I've never heard it played out. 'Here I Sit' by  the Ronettes is another gem on that LP that could find favour on the dance floor.

Social source share

It also came out (only a few years back I think) on a white label double sider with Len Barry 'I'm in love' which I got on discogs for £25, but now showing as blocked from sale as a boot. Worth finding though, excellent sound quality both sides 

https://www.discogs.com/Darlene-Love-Len-Barry-Long-Way-To-Be-Happy-Im-In-Love/release/9330712

Edited by Chris Turnbull
Link added
Social source share

On 01/09/2019 at 12:13, Robbk said:

But, it was pressed up on a look-alike/facsimile Philles label, (one of a series of many unreleased and LP cuts released as two vocal-sided Philles 45s (classic yellow 1963-65 label), during the late 1970s (or early 1980s?)

Never seen one of these - can you post a label scan? Ta!

Social source share

8 hours ago, cover-up said:

Sorry, I live in 5 different countries on 2 different continents.  I am in Germany now.  I'm not in the country where I store my Soul 45s.  I'm sure someone else on this forum can post a scan of it.  Otherwise, I'll post it when I return to Holland, in a few weeks.

Social source share

14 hours ago, cover-up said:

I think someone may have gotten "A Long Way To Be Happy" confused  with a couple of unreleased songs that were part of the Collectables/ Philles 

reissue series. As far as I know there were 2 Darlene Love 45's released -

1) Collectables/ Philles #3210- "Today I Met The Boy I'm Gonna Marry"/ "Strange Kind Of Love"

2) Collectables/ Philles #3211- "Wait Til My Bobby Gets Home"/ "Stumble And Fall" 

DL  1.jpg

DL 2.jpg

Social source share

1 hour ago, The Yank said:

I think someone may have gotten "A Long Way To Be Happy" confused  with a couple of unreleased songs that were part of the Collectables/ Philles reissue series. As far as I know there were 2 Darlene Love 45's released -

1) Collectables/ Philles #3210- "Today I Met The Boy I'm Gonna Marry"/ "Strange Kind Of Love"

2) Collectables/ Philles #3211- "Wait Til My Bobby Gets Home"/ "Stumble And Fall" 

DL  1.jpg

DL 2.jpg

I thought "A Long Way To Be Happy" was one of the B Side cuts in that very series.  BUT, IF it wasn't, then I saw that song on a facsimile- lookalike Philles label, which, then, is most likely to be a bootleg.  I'm certain that I saw that song on a Philles yellow and red pressing. 

Social source share

6 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

I would be shocked if it hasn't been booted as it is a "prime" record to be booted (not that I would approve of course)

As mentioned higher up it has been - I've got it on a very good quality white label boot with Len Barry 'I'm in love' on the flip. No mention of either track on the labels so always a lottery as to which side you play 😀

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!