Frankie Crocker profile photo

Ivory’s on eBay - original or bootleg?

Look At Your Box Frankie Crocker

Posted

Auction due to close within 24 hours. Bids at £235 at present. Is this a bootleg dressed up to fool bidders or an original issue at a bargain price?

Share this source music forum post

soul source url
Posted

Link ... ?

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Whatever it was, it’s disappeared. I have just woken up to be told that my bid has been cancelled; when I went back onto eBay, the item is no longer available. Pity, as watching how much this one went for / trying to win it at a  low price was going to be my evening’s entertainment.

The seller looked reputable and has been selling a bulk list on here recently, so I think the record was the real deal. 

Edited by Mod Life Crisis
Misspelling
  • Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted
2 minutes ago, Mod Life Crisis said:

Whatever it was, it’s disappeared. I have just woken up to be told that my bid has been cancelled; when I went back onto eBay, the item is no longer available. Pity, as watching how much this one went for / trying to win it at a  low price was going to be my evening’s entertainment.

The seller looked reputable and has been selling a bulk list on here recently, so I think the record was the real deal. 

My mate Rob favourite record. He was bidding for it too.  I will speak to him later and ask if he knows anything.  He was convinced that it was a real one.  He could tell you the different matrix numbers , where the stamps are  in the run out groove etc . 

Steve 

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

It looked like a stuck on label / faded. 

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted
11 hours ago, WoodButcher said:

Link ... ?

Apologies for the lack of link but I’m useless at this stuff. I noticed the item late in the day. Did a bit of research and found the lookalikes on Popsike. Great record and one that I’d be delighted to own. The UK seller described the record in detail giving run-out info but I could not tell if it was a genuine first issue. In fact, the sales blurb was so convincing, I thought it must be the real thing. However, it looked like the bootlegs on Popsike so I thought I better get some expert insight. As the auction was terminated prematurely, maybe someone has avoided paying a record price for an Ivory’s bootleg...I hope so!

Thanks for all the comments anyway and watch out for confusion regarding this record in future.

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

The seller in question based in London currently has an Yvonne Baker ‘unofficial’ release and a Denise La Salle ‘carver’ for sale plus an assortment of other proper looking records. This should give cause for concern to bidders thinking of splashing out hundreds or thousands.

• Thanks 1

soul source url
Posted

The seller has given all the info on a boot so the unsuspecting will think its real only when you find out its fake you can not get a refund as he clearly gave you all the info and dont be fooled by he's a dealer thay rip you off to and know what to say and do

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted
6 hours ago, Moxey25 said:

The seller has given all the info on a boot so the unsuspecting will think its real only when you find out its fake you can not get a refund as he clearly gave you all the info and dont be fooled by he's a dealer thay rip you off to and know what to say and do

That was what I suspected. The description was very detailed and presented in a way to authenticate the record. The key word ‘bootleg’ was omitted. The wrong side of the record was featured in the scan for some reason. The record was put up for auction rather than a buy it now offer. Some were drawn in to bid and then disappointed. Bootlegs are a plague on the collecting scene and sellers should be very careful about how their wares are marketed unless they are prepared to lose credibility.

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

The record is back on eBay, up for auction and clearly described as an unofficial carver. Good that the vendor has clarified the sales pitch so the unwary will not fall into a trap. Baffled why this item should be put up for auction as it is not a rare, original release. It is a bootleg and fit only for a low buy-it-now price tag although the purists would probably rather it was not on eBay in the first place.

soul source url
Posted

Sold for £52.00 last night.

soul source url

Look At Your Box - Source Forum

Get into the record & soul music talk

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

Source Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.