Ivory’s on eBay - original or bootleg?

Whatever it was, it’s disappeared. I have just woken up to be told that my bid has been cancelled; when I went back onto eBay, the item is no longer available. Pity, as watching how much this one went for / trying to win it at a  low price was going to be my evening’s entertainment.

The seller looked reputable and has been selling a bulk list on here recently, so I think the record was the real deal. 

Edited by Mod Life Crisis
Misspelling
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Mod Life Crisis said:

Whatever it was, it’s disappeared. I have just woken up to be told that my bid has been cancelled; when I went back onto eBay, the item is no longer available. Pity, as watching how much this one went for / trying to win it at a  low price was going to be my evening’s entertainment.

The seller looked reputable and has been selling a bulk list on here recently, so I think the record was the real deal. 

My mate Rob favourite record. He was bidding for it too.  I will speak to him later and ask if he knows anything.  He was convinced that it was a real one.  He could tell you the different matrix numbers , where the stamps are  in the run out groove etc . 

Steve 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

11 hours ago, WoodButcher said:

Link ... ?

Apologies for the lack of link but I’m useless at this stuff. I noticed the item late in the day. Did a bit of research and found the lookalikes on Popsike. Great record and one that I’d be delighted to own. The UK seller described the record in detail giving run-out info but I could not tell if it was a genuine first issue. In fact, the sales blurb was so convincing, I thought it must be the real thing. However, it looked like the bootlegs on Popsike so I thought I better get some expert insight. As the auction was terminated prematurely, maybe someone has avoided paying a record price for an Ivory’s bootleg...I hope so!

Thanks for all the comments anyway and watch out for confusion regarding this record in future.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

The seller has given all the info on a boot so the unsuspecting will think its real only when you find out its fake you can not get a refund as he clearly gave you all the info and dont be fooled by he's a dealer thay rip you off to and know what to say and do

• Up vote 1
Social source share

6 hours ago, Moxey25 said:

The seller has given all the info on a boot so the unsuspecting will think its real only when you find out its fake you can not get a refund as he clearly gave you all the info and dont be fooled by he's a dealer thay rip you off to and know what to say and do

That was what I suspected. The description was very detailed and presented in a way to authenticate the record. The key word ‘bootleg’ was omitted. The wrong side of the record was featured in the scan for some reason. The record was put up for auction rather than a buy it now offer. Some were drawn in to bid and then disappointed. Bootlegs are a plague on the collecting scene and sellers should be very careful about how their wares are marketed unless they are prepared to lose credibility.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

The record is back on eBay, up for auction and clearly described as an unofficial carver. Good that the vendor has clarified the sales pitch so the unwary will not fall into a trap. Baffled why this item should be put up for auction as it is not a rare, original release. It is a bootleg and fit only for a low buy-it-now price tag although the purists would probably rather it was not on eBay in the first place.

Social source share

On 15/09/2019 at 20:00, Frankie Crocker said:

The record is back on eBay, up for auction and clearly described as an unofficial carver. Good that the vendor has clarified the sales pitch so the unwary will not fall into a trap. Baffled why this item should be put up for auction as it is not a rare, original release. It is a bootleg and fit only for a low buy-it-now price tag although the purists would probably rather it was not on eBay in the first place.

How could "anyone" think it was real.....

Ivorys.jpg

Knowledge.png

Social source share

12 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

How could "anyone" think it was real.....

Ivorys.jpg

Knowledge.png

Sold for £52. Rather a lot to pay for a fake record. I concede it was worthwhile auctioning the thing from the seller’s point of view. That said, I would rather not see these things cluttering up eBay. Bootlegs had currency in the 1970’s but the way forward nowadays is to arrange some sort of licensing agreement like Kent do.

Social source share

6 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Sold for £52. Rather a lot to pay for a fake record. I concede it was worthwhile auctioning the thing from the seller’s point of view. That said, I would rather not see these things cluttering up eBay. Bootlegs had currency in the 1970’s but the way forward nowadays is to arrange some sort of licensing agreement like Kent do.

Sadly this point has come up so many times and these selling sites should be ashamed of themselves for allowing these to be sold (at least it was listed/altered to show it was a copy). A threat of some sorts or legislation would stop it IMHO, but the strange world that we live in allows Companies or individuals to get away with so much in every walk of life it seems. BBC watchdog or Panorama could do a few programmes on it (I would watch with great interest)

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

12 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Sadly this point has come up so many times and these selling sites should be ashamed of themselves for allowing these to be sold (at least it was listed/altered to show it was a copy). A threat of some sorts or legislation would stop it IMHO, but the strange world that we live in allows Companies or individuals to get away with so much in every walk of life it seems. BBC watchdog or Panorama could do a few programmes on it (I would watch with great interest)

eBay does not condone acts of criminality but gets by doing next to nothing to curtail it. The corporation is really only interested in making money with the minimum of hassle.

You would think the recent prosecutions of bootleg makers/ sellers would deter anyone from getting involved in illegal activity.

Ultimately the record buying community should police itself by not buying fake rubbish. We should all speak out against the circulation of bootlegs that deceive record buyers and dancers at OVO events.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!