Jump to content
  • Sign Up
Johndelve profile photo

Most valuable soul CDs

All About the SOUL Johndelve

 
Posted

The cost / value of a record is never of any particular importance to me but it has just struck me that I have absolutely no idea what - if any - CDs are "in demand" and /or expensive....do such things exist?

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Withdrawn over a licensing issue after a couple of weeks 

458C5CA2-5549-42E7-B577-B4D9FFFD33E4.jpeg

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

There's some Japanese import only modern stuff that's worth hundreds of pounds I believe.  

Steve 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, The Tempest said:

Withdrawn over a licensing issue after a couple of weeks 

458C5CA2-5549-42E7-B577-B4D9FFFD33E4.jpeg

You sure?  It's on discogs at just over 20 quid.

If its valuable one on my shelf 😉 

Edited by Chalky

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

Was told a Larry Levine Paradise Garage double Cd , is worth some money...  although I can see some cheap ones on discogs..,

I was lucky the agency I worked at the time was speaking to the label to do a license deal for images and our rep gave me a ton of product from them for free... :/) good cd as well...

B119776B-2944-4CBB-9F17-1E3576D65EE1.jpeg

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

 

A guy by the name of Morgan Howell aka Soulpersona has done some really sort after limited edition CD’s from £20 to £100 

3A13EC94-6B04-4BFF-BA0C-603FFBB62C84.jpeg

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Does Ledisi "Feeling Orange But Sometimes Blue" Jazz Singer go for much these days ?

Cheers Paul

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Ivan Matias ‎– Sweetest Hangover, £100 plus (I guess 'cos of having Somebody Knows How You Feel on it)

(the Expansion LP the track later appeared on goes for similar money)

Soulutions - Destiny (Japanese import) cd costs about £50 in mint condition, left mine sealed

will have to take a look at my cd collection as never thought about this really, like others I've got free cd's from soul events and promo soul cd's 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

I don't know if it's all that valuable, but quite rare are things like Lashaun Hooks "Go Girl ... " with "Do You Want My Love" on it from about 2000.

Also the Touché - What Color Is Love CD. Again quite rare, but no idea if valuable.

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Delouie - King Before His time was a promo only and should be worth a few quid.

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
42 minutes ago, daved said:

Delouie - King Before His time was a promo only and should be worth a few quid.

Think ive got that CD in one of the boxes wasn't 'Deborah's Song' the good track. 

Just played it via YouTube still sounds good. 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, daved said:

Delouie - King Before His time was a promo only and should be worth a few quid.

£135 apparently

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

I’ve got a Japanese Helen Smith CD which cost £60 if that counts

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Didn't one of the early Gold mine  norhern soul cd have an extra track on it that shouldn't have been there.

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

I think that's the Goldmine CD 'this is Northern Soul' (GSCD 14)  where track 2 is The Imaginations-Strange Neighbourhood instead of the listed track 2, Connie Clark -My Sugar Baby,which then follows on track 3,putting the whole track listing out of joint(apart from track 1)which is quite annoying,as you have to remember that if you want to listen to, say,Frank Dell (track 18) you have to actually skip to track 19 and so on

Edited by Michael V
Typographical error

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Michael V said:

I think that's the Goldmine CD 'this is Northern Soul' (GSCD 14)  where track 2 is The Imaginations-Strange Neighbourhood instead of the listed track 2, Connie Clark -My Sugar Baby,which then follows on track 3,putting the whole track listing out of joint(apart from track 1)which is quite annoying,as you have to remember that if you want to listen to, say,Frank Dell (track 18) you have to actually skip to track 19 and so on

Yeah there is that one and one of the Hot Wax ones as an extra track on, not sure which one without checking. 

It's maybe 20 plus years since l played it, but l think it's Hot Wax three.  

Edited by davetay

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

image.png.cbf30a24de8c119785afef7887ab68a6.png

The Sam Dees "Secret Admirer" album from 1989 goes for stupid money on cd. On Discogs right now there's a used copy G/G for $288.

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
On 08/09/2019 at 11:20, The Tempest said:

Withdrawn over a licensing issue after a couple of weeks 

458C5CA2-5549-42E7-B577-B4D9FFFD33E4.jpeg

I could've sworn I had that, but there's so many similar covers and titles.  Was it CD or LP?

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Sure there was a David Ruffin cd a few years back, maybe Japanese , of unreleased tracks, remember it going for silly money, can’t think of the title though 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

This might be what you're thinking of:

image.png.7be7bb09083e057bd320faff2995849e.png

It was released in 2004 on US Hip-O label, sold out quickly and went for stupid money. It was re-released in 2012 and fetches more reasonable sums.

The 2 earlier Hip-O compilations of Motown solo LPs with b sides and unreleased tracks are now in 3 figures, with volume 1 harder to find:

image.png.4f1499ece4b1c287fc0802ba947f558b.pngimage.png.c876512ed564ec826b8de0147c4d8a5b.png

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
5 hours ago, Mickey Finn said:

This might be what you're thinking of:

image.png.7be7bb09083e057bd320faff2995849e.png

It was released in 2004 on US Hip-O label, sold out quickly and went for stupid money. It was re-released in 2012 and fetches more reasonable sums.

The 2 earlier Hip-O compilations of Motown solo LPs with b sides and unreleased tracks are now in 3 figures, with volume 1 harder to find:

image.png.4f1499ece4b1c287fc0802ba947f558b.pngimage.png.c876512ed564ec826b8de0147c4d8a5b.png

That’s the one, thanks for the info 👍

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
On 08/09/2019 at 21:18, Michael V said:

I think that's the Goldmine CD 'this is Northern Soul' (GSCD 14)  where track 2 is The Imaginations-Strange Neighbourhood instead of the listed track 2, Connie Clark -My Sugar Baby,which then follows on track 3,putting the whole track listing out of joint(apart from track 1)which is quite annoying,as you have to remember that if you want to listen to, say,Frank Dell (track 18) you have to actually skip to track 19 and so on

Erk!  I've only ever listened to that in the car, and I've never noticed.

I feel such a fool.

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

The Japanese version of Aura's self-titled CD with the bonus track is often offered for stupid money, but I don't think it actually sells.  I paid about £25 for it from someone who actually wanted to sell it.

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
On 09/09/2019 at 11:51, Mickey Finn said:

image.png.cbf30a24de8c119785afef7887ab68a6.png

The Sam Dees "Secret Admirer" album from 1989 goes for stupid money on cd. On Discogs right now there's a used copy G/G for $288.

 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

i have this cd on penpad  with bonus tracks .sure it isn't  japanese with picture cover.just dug it out its a canadian import must be quite rare i remember going to voices and Rod dear love said there isn't many about on cd because the emphasis was vinyl , might sell this seeing i have lp as well?

Edited by fuzzj

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
18 hours ago, fuzzj said:

i have this cd on penpad  with bonus tracks .sure it isn't  japanese with picture cover.just dug it out its a canadian import must be quite rare i remember going to voices and Rod dear love said there isn't many about on cd because the emphasis was vinyl , might sell this seeing i have lp as well?

My mate has the Canadian issue which he got from Sam himself when he was interviewed on the Ray Rose show on Marcher. Apparently Sam's wife had brought several copies over in her handbag. 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

Demo Cd single of Summer by Masters of Funk goes for a few quid, Japanese only release and quite hard to come by 

Edited by Richard

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

wow great trivia

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

It's interesting to see how the ultra-affordable Backbeats titles that came out on cd about 10 years ago have fared. A few of those titles covering the rare soul end of things have become very hard to find or much less affordable. For instance this is nowhere on Discogs but there's a copy for 50 quid at Northern Soul Direct:

image.png.dba06be2fe6b42a47f2e506058582a59.png

Some of the French bootleg cds from 10-15 years ago ("Magnetik Soul") are also going for silly prices - this one for over 40 quid on Discogs and a good bit more on Amazon:

image.png.c76154a4a5264e129e0f1e98667e010a.png

Share this source music forum post


soul source url

All About the SOUL - Source Forum

Jump into the northern soul music & beyond talk now!

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!
Log into Soul Source

Get max use of the forums

Log in now!

Source Adverts



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.