Rufus Lumley Question..

Ficklefingers

Rufus Lumley 'Stronger Than Me'..

Obviously, this was an LP only track - other than a monarch test pressing Mr Manship posted on You Tube in 2012

Now then.. does anyone have any info concerning a potential UK release around 1976/77 !?!

On information gleened thus far it points to at least a two-sided uk music publishers acetatate being produced, possibly something to do with Magnet Records? but doesn't look it got past the acetate stage..

Anyone ???? 'Cos I'm really intrigued as to the why's and wherefore's, and to whether the acetate is actually real (the labels and smell certainly are)..

Fingers

Social source share

Thanks for your post @Davlee

That is very interesting 'cos both sides of the acetate I mention are RCA recordings - the fip to 'Stronger Than Me' actually seeing a 7" release in both Italy and Germany in the mid 70's - but it is a different artist altogether

There's a story here somewhere.. just got to first get all the pieces of the puzzle, then try to put them together and hopefully see a definitive answer

Edited by Ficklefingers
added text
Social source share

3 hours ago, Davlee said:

I recall seeing a 7" RCA studio labelled acetate that Jonathon Woodliffe had in 1977/78 , not 100% sure it was genuine. it looked the real deal but It was along time ago. Wonder where that ended up..?? Anyone.?

I believe it was a slightly different version as well ... certainly sounded different at the Palais

Can somebody ask him ?

Andy

Social source share

On 10/09/2019 at 13:14, Ficklefingers said:

Rufus Lumley 'Stronger Than Me'..

Obviously, this was an LP only track - other than a monarch test pressing Mr Manship posted on You Tube in 2012

Now then.. does anyone have any info concerning a potential UK release around 1976/77 !?!

On information gleened thus far it points to at least a two-sided uk music publishers acetatate being produced, possibly something to do with Magnet Records? but doesn't look it got past the acetate stage..

Anyone ???? 'Cos I'm really intrigued as to the why's and wherefore's, and to whether the acetate is actually real (the labels and smell certainly are)..

Fingers

Hope I understand you right, you've got a UK music publishers acetate from the mid/late 70s. One side is Rufus Lumley stronger than me, flipside is a different artist. Any chance the acetate had blank flip originally and someone used it to cut Stronger than me on it?

Social source share

On 10/09/2019 at 21:00, Chalky said:

Would RCA use Monarch?  After all they were one of the biggest mastering and manufacturing companies around.

From what I remember RCA acetates all had RCA Reference Recording label on them, i.e. cut in-house and not at the pressing plant.

Or is the one pictured in the Manship vid a test press and not an acetate?

Edited by Benji
Social source share

14 hours ago, Benji said:

From what I remember RCA acetates all had RCA Reference Recording label on them, i.e. cut in-house and not at the pressing plant.

Or is the one pictured in the Manship vid a test press and not an acetate?

If it was a test press that would indicate a monarch west coast press which is a puzzle when RCA had a massive plant in Hollywood.  As you also suggest the lack of any RCA details on the label is also unusual. 

Social source share

On 10/09/2019 at 16:15, Davlee said:

I recall seeing a 7" RCA studio labelled acetate that Jonathon Woodliffe had in 1977/78 , not 100% sure it was genuine. it looked the real deal but It was along time ago. Wonder where that ended up..?? Anyone.?

Could this be it? 

Rufus.jpg

Social source share

20 hours ago, Benji said:

Hope I understand you right, you've got a UK music publishers acetate from the mid/late 70s. One side is Rufus Lumley stronger than me, flipside is a different artist. Any chance the acetate had blank flip originally and someone used it to cut Stronger than me on it?

You do understand Benji.. but it's POTENTIALLY a music publishers acetate. The labels are certainly real, as is that 'smell' you notice with 'aged' acetates..

But there are a few questions that need to be uncovered before determining it to be the 'real deal' - e.g. the flip to Stronger Than Me is not only a completely different artist (although the track title is typed on the label there are no artist identifiers), its a mid 70's recording, which did see release in both Germany & Italy and features a flip by the same artist.. Hope all that makes sense

I'm currently awaiting feedback from a couple of people that (hopefully) can throw a bit more light on things, or information that would at least negate some of the possible scenareos surrounding this particular acetate - which initself would help in determining the facts behind it

Social source share

• 1 year later...
14 minutes ago, Soul-slider said:

Just want to add, there is a 45 of this by the writer of it, Paul Anka on RCA Victor. Only trouble is it's sung in Italian!

Yes, I think most of us knew that already. But why play the 45 from YouTube when you can have Paul Anka singing it himself on Italian TV? :thumbup: 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

18 minutes ago, Soul-slider said:

Just added both acetates on 45cat, someone on there may hopefully come up with the answers.

laughing here

you just posted this along with the image right?

johnnyhotspur ●
17 minutes ago
 Only played off the LP for years.
This has turned up, a genuine acetate, possibly?

no mention of soul source or the member who posted it

expect members to give credits on here when posting stuff from elsewhere, should work the other way as well imo

maybe it's time you and others stopped lifting stuff off here and posting it on other sites as if it's your own research

whatcha reckon Johnny?

Social source share

3 hours ago, Mike said:

laughing here

you just posted this along with the image right?

no mention of soul source or the member who posted it

expect members to give credits on here when posting stuff from elsewhere, should work the other way as well imo

maybe it's time you and others stopped lifting stuff off here and posting it on other sites as if it's your own research

whatcha reckon Johnny?

Yeah OK, fair play. I'll edit my posts on there. Apologies Mike.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!