Mike profile photo

Britain a nation of litter louts?

Freebasing Mike

Posted

Mike. You can only blame the parents of today's snowflake generation for not teaching there little shits respect for the countryside and there environment regarding litter,  throwing McDonald's detritus etc from the cars, dropping it on the floor etc.  Council busybodies fining old  people who accidentally drop some pastry crumbs off the Gregg pasty that they're eating when a knob drops a burger wrapper next to a overflowing bin   then tells the wardens to f off when they pull them up. 

Steve 

• Up vote 6

Share this source music forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Mike. You can only blame the parents of today's snowflake generation for not teaching there little shits respect for the countryside and there environment regarding litter,  throwing McDonald's detritus etc from the cars, dropping it on the floor etc.  Council busybodies fining old  people who accidentally drop some pastry crumbs off the Gregg pasty that they're eating when a knob drops a burger wrapper next to a overflowing bin   then tells the wardens to f off when they pull them up. 

Steve 

all a bit angry old man that Steve 😉

going beyond the 'rant', do you think we as a nation are?

Edited by Mike
:)

soul source url
Posted
47 minutes ago, Mike said:

all a bit angry old man that Steve 😉

going beyond the 'rant', do you think we as a nation are?

It did sound like that reading it back. 😂 I don't know what the solution is Mike.  There's no escaping from it, even on the mountains or fells,  sit down to have a brew and someone has pushed some food or energy bar wrapper in the grass,   under a rock . Last year I was down on a more remote area of the Gower  I scrambled down the rocks to a grass bank just above the tide line to have lunch and between the rocks was  mars bar and kit Kat wrappers. Not real.  How do you educate these people 

soul source url
Posted

While littering is obviously a behavioural issue at a societal level, pointing poky fingers of blame at litterers and manufacturers of packaging misses one key aspect - street cleaning.

Here in my little corner of the Netherlands, street cleaning is done once a week. However, it's currently 'Feestweek' ('Party Week) which entails live bands every night and crowds of several hundred people partying in a temporary, giant marquee about 300 metres from where we live, and then exiting our little town in various states of sobriety at about 1am. 

Of course there's litter - fast-food wrappers, etc, etc – but as soon as the crowds have gone the streets are cleaned. Next night, a new crowd comes in, attracted by whatever bands might be on, and they go through the same littering ritual. And again, the streets are cleaned.

If you've ever been in Amsterdam or any other Dutch city on New Year's Eve, you'll know it's crazy. When the party is over, out come the street cleaning crews - at about three in the morning on New Year's Day.

My point is that local authorities play a huge part in whether neighbourhoods, and thus towns and cities as a whole, are awash with litter or not.

Paxman suggests taxing things - levies, as is always the case, that are passed on to the people. Instead, and in addition to public education programmes,  why not ensure local authorities have the funding to ensure streets are kept clean?

Of, course, the whole issue of funding at local/regional levels is not just a can but a multi-pack of worms.

Nonetheless, Paxman needs to consider all the angles and solutions and not just blame the usual suspects of consumers and manufacturers.

soul source url
Posted (edited)

This issue hits me really hard Mike ! 

We may not be a nation of litter louts but things have changed 100 % over the last few years .

I have seen both our local neighbourhood and the primary school that I work in, drop in the values and standards . This is not just an old codger ranting on about litter and fly tipping ... this is someone that try’s to instil the good moral behaviour and also teach the young ones around to take care of their environment . 

Things have changed so much that I now have to constantly sweep up broken bottles that have been thrown over our school perimeter fence into our playgrounds. Litter bins outside our school become a dumping ground for our local HMO’s ( houses of multiple occupancy ) to tip their excess waste ... because they know the council will come and pick it up .

Im a neighbourhood champion Edgware where I live and am responsible for local 10 roads ... it’s a constant nightmare. Litter is everywhere , all the council gave me where some extra litter pickers and some “ do not litter / dump your rubbish “ signs . 

I now have started, after a long protracted conversation with my Head , a “Litter Squad “ ... children with high viz jackets, gloves and litter pickers , so that they all get a sense of right and wrong from day one here . Took me ages to get the senior management team to agree to this , because they didn’t want to use the children, but I persuaded them that’s it’s not a punishment... it’s about having pride in your environment .

Im fighting a loosing battle though im afraid .. council only come once every 6 weeks to clear the litter , unless I report excess or a fly tip ..

I could go on and on about this as I feel so strongly ... but you know what . The area where I live will never change now .. and thankfully I haven’t got long at the school .

Back to school to pick up more litter ..  

B9EA9F07-67BA-4404-967D-2763FED8D783.jpeg

Edited by Stevegods
  • Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, Stevegods said:

This issue hits me really hard Mike ! 

We may not be a nation of litter louts but things have changed 100 % over the last few years .

I have seen both our local neighbourhood and the primary school that I work in, drop in the values and standards . This is not just an old codger ranting on about litter and fly tipping ... this is someone that try’s to instil the good moral behaviour and also teach the young ones around to take care of their environment . 

Things have changed so much that I now have to constantly sweep up broken bottles that have been thrown over our school perimeter fence into our playgrounds. Litter bins outside our school become a dumping ground for our local HMO’s ( houses of multiple occupancy ) to tip their excess waste ... because they know the council will come and pick it up .

Im a neighbourhood champion Edgware where I live and am responsible for local 10 roads ... it’s a constant nightmare. Litter is everywhere , all the council gave me where some extra litter pickers and some “ do not litter / dump your rubbish “ signs . 

I now have started, after a long protracted conversation with my Head , a “Litter Squad “ ... children with high viz jackets, gloves and litter pickers , so that they all get a sense of right and wrong from day one here . Took me ages to get the senior management team to agree to this , because they didn’t want to use the children, but I persuaded them that’s it’s not a punishment... it’s about having pride in your environment .

Im fighting a loosing battle though im afraid .. council only come once every 6 weeks to clear the litter , unless I report excess or a fly tip ..

I could go on and on about this as I feel so strongly ... but you know what . The area where I live will never change now .. and thankfully I haven’t got long at the school .

Back to school to pick up more litter ..  

B9EA9F07-67BA-4404-967D-2763FED8D783.jpeg

Reasons to bail out mate. I can't wait to move out of Manchester ( my neighbourhood used to be ok, clean and quite) the last probably 10 years have seen it decline big time, I'm not going to bother citing the main reasons because I will get called a racist,  fascist so and so. by people who dont know.  .I'm lucky enough to be in a position where I can escape to somewhere still unspoilt.  Good luck with the campaign mate. 

Steve 

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted

Here I go and this will upset a lot of people but 1 easy solution, get prisoners and people who have been on benefits for years earning their keep, we would soon see a difference. Sam Moore 

• Up vote 4

soul source url
Posted
19 minutes ago, forestsoul said:

Here I go and this will upset a lot of people but 1 easy solution, get prisoners and people who have been on benefits for years earning their keep, we would soon see a difference. Sam Moore 

Well said that man. 

soul source url
Posted

I am the father of twin sons age 28. One  on the northern scene one not. Neither of them drop litter and both of them are extremely polite young men.  I  have brought them up properly and you can't blame parents I know people my age ( late 50's) who drop litter and cigarette buts anywhere they wish and they don't give a toss.. I personally think that it is down to the individual.. yes litter is everywhere but can you remember how much dog sh#t was around when we were kids. I  think it is something that needs addressing the same way and maybe people will think twice about dropping it. ..  when I went to Minorca it was one of the cleanest places I have visited I wonder what their secret is??

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, Winsford Soul said:

Well said that man. 

How dare you suggest we take those poor prisoners away from their playstations 

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

When i go fishing i always take a black refuse bag with me to pick up any litter, sea anglers are the worst and i have filled the bags many times, when trout fishing i find a small carrier bag is ample. I don't know why this is this way.

The one thing that really annoys me is people smoking at the bus stop and throwing the butt on the ground when the bus comes even though there is a litter bin about 3 feet away.

soul source url
Posted

A few thoughts.

Make it easier for people to dispose of litter by having more bins and introduce bottle (glass and plastic) recycling bins. Issue a token for each returned item so there is an incentive to recycle.

Further, have recycling points for paper/plastic on all main streets and in shopping areas.

Make it the responsibility of all fast food outlets to arrange litter bins close to their premises, and for them to ensure the immediate area is free from litter.

Employ more people to collect litter and maintain a tidy area. Overflowing bins are never a good sight and more could be done with increased pick ups.

Raise the profile of littering. Make it clear it is an antisocial activity and should be curbed.

Fine offenders, whether they be businesses or individuals and ensure it is publicised.

Encourage the very best behaviour starting in schools.

Now most of these things will require some investment. Councils have tight budgets and the days of the road sweeper is long gone. Expecting legions of refuse collectors is unrealistic. However, a local or national tax could be raised which would go a long way in providing the infrastructure and the manpower to tackle this issue.

Ultimately, though, it is down to individuals to do the right thing. Most will, but some will need a touch more encouragement.

soul source url
Posted

I don't know what the answer is.  But it certainly shouldn't be anyone else's responsibility except for those with the rubbish in the first place!

My dad was a dustman - A proper one that lifted metal bins himself :wink: I remember him coming home and moaning in exasperation after not only emptying the bins of a couple of houses, but also completely clearing up the strewed out rubbish (and dog's mess) in their alley's and around their yards the week prior, only to return that week to exactly the same mess!

I never drop litter as I have been bought up not to, when I see others drop it I just wonder why.

Len :thumbsup:

• Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted

We should ask the Japanese, at the end of their world cup win against Columbia they picked up all the litter from the stadium,

apparently at the end of concerts in Korea they do the same.

I personally think it should be drummed into our children at an early age.

We shouldn't need clean up squads, the litter shouldn't be there in the first place.

I know, tis but a dream.

Ste .

• Up vote 4

soul source url
Posted

I was delivering in Birmingham other morning, near the Villa Ground, I had to drive past all this and more......

D2BA2CC0-4094-4588-9B21-BBC9A98CC52A.thumb.jpeg.6ebe24c3f31128d92799b28833477076.jpeg6C99C146-4499-4EF6-8430-B29396D9A373.thumb.jpeg.159c7b9a065da76815d6ac2285db903d.jpegFA388507-243B-4AA5-9C61-9CB87DBCC5C2.thumb.jpeg.7e027fe83aa8be2d7d72fbdacca899a1.jpeg9F61C9D8-4F10-454A-B6E0-750A11F2C07B.thumb.jpeg.b0ddb02ed4104d51bb7b3013be6e9bc9.jpeg

soul source url
Posted

The councils have had their budgets from Central Government cut severely since the crash. Here in Sussex the services were outsourced to a private company. They are currently short of carts and staff .

A bit tough to blame our kids and grandchildren (or 'snowflakes' as someone called them). It's our generation that are a leaving the legacy of: lower wages combined with high housing costs, pollution on a worldwide scale, an aging population that resents paying for care in old age or can't afford care in their old age and also expect the younger generation to look after them.

• Disagree 2

soul source url
Posted

soul source url
Posted

There dumping waste in front of a security camera - just really disappointing that no one and I hope am wrong gives a toss - even if they catch the people the fine will be less than the cost to clear it up - crazy times 

IMG_5251.PNG

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Even our beloved records are dumped , but at least in a skip..... I don't know which is worse and to be fair this was in the USA (bit off thread)

If anyone is thinking of dumping their plastic music please you can dump them on my drive and I will happily recycle them 😀

Records dumped.jpg

Records dumped 2.jpg

soul source url
Posted

It's the same when you go to the cinema - I took my Son the other day; I insisted on taking our empty cups etc out with us to place in the many bins provided, and he turned to me and said......."Just leave it Dad, they clear it up, everyone else does"......I looked around and he was right, everyone had just left their rubbish on the floor.

Suffice to say I still insisted on taking our rubbish to the bins!

• Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted

When I took my Son to The Download Festival, between the bands on the screens were items about 'staying Green' / take your tents home etc - You should have seen the absolute carnage left on the Monday morning!

'Suffice to say' I had all our rubbish in a bin bag, and neatly packed our tent away :D

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted

“ L.N.T. “ 

I have worked at festivals all my life , Glasto since the late 70’s ... and now my son and younger daughter are now following in my wake.

I was mortified the first fest (Reading ) my son did by himself , as he left his tent behind . No more - even when raining - get it packed away and take bin bags with you everywhere . They also can act as something to sit on when it gets muddy - many many Glasto’s ... 

“ Leave No Trace “ 

• Up vote 4

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Lot of dumping of litter / tipping on the mountains near me in South Wales, and it’s done in single track roads which is bloody dangerous.. as for general litter unfortunately our local village has always looked a bit messy, the parks are fine, they are kept but beer cans and the usual wrappers are everywhere...:-( 

I agree with above comments, if your a prisoner or receiving benefits you won’t find a better use of the time you have, give something back to the communities you live in! 

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 2

soul source url

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

Source Adverts

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.