Soul Hippy profile photo

CLIMATE STRIKE THIS FRIDAY 20TH SEPT 2019

Posted (edited)

List of gatherings here https://ukscn.org/events/

Hear about it in their words below

“It’s sometimes annoying when people say, ‘Oh you children, you young people are the hope. You will save the world’” she said, after several grown-ups had told her just that. “I think it would be helpful if you could help us just a little bit.” Greta Thunberg   

Edited by Soul Hippy
Event has passed
  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

We don't live in a democracy anymore.  Good luck with the protests

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Two interesting articles in the news today. Sodium hexaflouride is 23500 times more warming than carbon dioxide. It's  used in electrical switchgear that has seen a massive increase in use due to wind farms and other 'ecologically friendly' systems of electricity production.

The other states that the ozone hole is the smallest in years.

Maybe we are all being conned to get us taxed more? Just a cynical thought.

Edited by Julianb
  • Up vote 5

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Having made the mention of this event I thought I would feedback to let anyone interested know that the march in Leeds was huge, and estimates were put at 10,000 people marching, in Leeds alone. Most of the onlookers were visibly taken aback by the sheer scale of it. From my observations the media whilst reporting the climate strikes being widespread, did not show how large these gatherings were in the UK.

Edited by Soul Hippy
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Locked a Topic: CLIMATE STRIKE THIS FRIDAY 20TH SEPT 2019 - GLOBAL ACTION

Soul Hippy, 13 hours ago

as said many times ...

if you are going to use the 'lock topic' feature on your topic then please state that you have done so and if possible the reasons why

doing this then informs members who may have wished to reply and also helps avoid further misunderstandings etc etc

thanks

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

My apologies Mike, I was not aware of that but fully understand the rationale. 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I realise we need to do something to change the path we are taking, and the protests are a positive call for action but youngsters are as much a contributing factor as anyone.

They are rarely off an electronic device, phone, tablet, PC, TV, gaming etc etc.  Tell them to walk or get on a bike they look at you gone out 😮🙄

The mess they leave at rallies, protests and especially festivals is disgusting.  

They are as out of touch as anyone IMO with the energy they consume.

BUT, something needs to be done, I just hope the powers that be take some notice, somehow I doubt it.  

• Up vote 10

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, Chalky said:

I realise we need to do something to change the path we are taking, and the protests are a positive call for action but youngsters are as much a contributing factor as anyone.

They are rarely off an electronic device, phone, tablet, PC, TV, gaming etc etc.  Tell them to walk or get on a bike they look at you gone out 😮🙄

The mess they leave at rallies, protests and especially festivals is disgusting.  

BUT, something needs to be done, I just hope the powers that be take some notice, somehow I doubt it.  

Great comment as normal chalky....I think everyone tries to do there bit, best they can....but...what % of bad omission comes from the u.k?? Only asking as American, Chinese and most huge countries don't seem to bother?? Did they protest in America & China?? I blame brexit!!! (Everything else is).. Kind regards...Rob

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
On 22/09/2019 at 18:13, Lionelonthevinyl said:

Great comment as normal chalky....I think everyone tries to do there bit, best they can....but...what % of bad omission comes from the u.k?? Only asking as American, Chinese and most huge countries don't seem to bother?? Did they protest in America & China?? I blame brexit!!! (Everything else is).. Kind regards...Rob

A report on who is trying and who is not.....Russia, Saudi and the USA come out the worst

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/2019/09/climate-change-report-card-co2-emissions/

But it isn't just CO2 emissions.  The waste we all make is unbelievable, food is so cheap we can simply throw it in the bin, single use plastic not only takes huge resources to make it is simply often thrown to the ground.  We can all do our bit but if we worry about who is doing what and if they can't be bothered why should we then we will soon be extinct, not in our lifetime but it will happen.

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

This guy wrote, yonks ago, about how the Earth's erratic orbit of the Sun and Axial Tilt would affect climate. His findings were ignored, until ice cores found in 1976 supported his theories, going back 100's of thousands of years. I'm not saying man isn't polluting the planet etc. but other factors are also involved.

Milutin Milankovitch   1879-1958.

Orbital Variations  
Changes in orbital eccentricity affect the Earth-sun distance. Currently, a difference of only 3 percent (5 million kilometers) exists between closest approach (perihelion), which occurs on or about January 3, and furthest departure (aphelion), which occurs on or about July 4. This difference in distance amounts to about a 6 percent increase in incoming solar radiation (insolation) from July to January. The shape of the Earth’s orbit changes from being elliptical (high eccentricity) to being nearly circular (low eccentricity) in a cycle that takes between 90,000 and 100,000 years. When the orbit is highly elliptical, the amount of insolation received at perihelion would be on the order of 20 to 30 percent greater than at aphelion, resulting in a substantially different climate from what we experience today.

Obliquity (change in axial tilt)
As the axial tilt increases, the seasonal contrast increases so that winters are colder and summers are warmer in both hemispheres. Today, the Earth's axis is tilted 23.5 degrees from the plane of its orbit around the sun. But this tilt changes. During a cycle that averages about 40,000 years, the tilt of the axis varies between 22.1 and 24.5 degrees. Because this tilt changes, the seasons as we know them can become exaggerated. More tilt means more severe seasons—warmer summers and colder winters; less tilt means less severe seasons—cooler summers and milder winters. It's the cool summers that are thought to allow snow and ice to last from year-to-year in high latitudes, eventually building up into massive ice sheets. There are positive feedbacks in the climate system as well, because an Earth covered with more snow reflects more of the sun's energy into space, causing additional cooling.

Edited by Kegsy
  • Up vote 4

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
11 hours ago, Kegsy said:

This guy wrote, yonks ago, about how the Earth's erratic orbit of the Sun and Axial Tilt would affect climate. His findings were ignored, until ice cores found in 1976 supported his theories, going back 100's of thousands of years. I'm not saying man isn't polluting the planet etc. but other factors are also involved.

Now that is fascinating Kegsy, I'm off to read more 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, Soul Hippy said:

Now that is fascinating Kegsy, I'm off to read more 

Let me know what you think, when you have.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

What an amazing person with a remarkable brain, Milutin Milankovitch. Why didn't we hear about him at school.

It certainly adds another dimension to the issue. Not that we can do much about earths axial shifts but I'm glad to learn about it Kegsy, its an important piece of the jigsaw. I understand what you are saying.

But, it does make man made climate change and our casual destruction of nature, our earths lungs (rainforests), our obsession with oil and the pollution of air, sea and water even more irresponsible. What we are doing will only magnify what has been illustrated and will presumably make any climate modelling predictions even more difficult.  

There is a lot to be worried about but there is a lot to be positive about, worrying won't change anything, positive action will. As Chalky said If everyone does a bit, that adds up to a lot and acts as an example. We do what we can.

I'm no expert, but I understand how public pressure makes change, people are very powerful but they spend their lives being told that they are not and shouted down if they ever have the cheek to show some self belief. No one knows everything and we are all learning from each other and if we listen we learn so much more. 

I thought I'd just mention on an earlier comment about the ozone layer, it is recovering due to the Montreal Protocol an international agreement to get rid of the chemicals responsible for the damage, CFCs & HFCs 1987-89, good article in wikepedia about it. Massive pressure was generated in the 80s by Greenpeace and Earth First amongst others, in part we have them to thank along with all the environmental groups that were pushing it under the politicians noses and campaigning against the manufacturers directly, as well as a grassroots campaign where the public was mobilised. An issue where a big problem was identified, acted on and a solution found. We can do it! People are powerful.

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Wow...fantastic well read knowledge all!....ok, so is it the human race? Or evolution? Maybe a mixture of both? Who knows??...kind regards...Rob

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Worth an hour of your time.

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I just got forwarded this though :D

Len :thumbsup:

320758670_ThePlanet.thumb.png.e59fb82a99f8d7825abb3c6836e41e35.png

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

I suppose Mr Richard has forgotten that virtually all electricity was coal fired as was every house. Not to mention most mills.

Edited by Kegsy
  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
On 22/09/2019 at 16:19, Chalky said:

with you on this chalky our nephew (if you know me you know why we have our nephew and niece living with us) has been with us for 2 &1/2 years i can count on my hands the amount of time he has been out on his bike he virtually never leaves his room as he is on the computer playing games other than to get a drink or a snack. if i tell him to go out he looks at you like you are mad. he has stuff delivered from amazon that he can get from the shops which are at most 10 minute walk if we go out and give him money for a takeaway he has this delivered whether its mcdonalds or even subway. the stuff he has had delivered from amazon has been a pcket of biscuits (stroopwaffles a type of cinamon caramel biscuit available from shops nearby £1.50 ) and sweets. i have tackled him about this saying he is adding to global warming by having this stuff delivered but he just looks at you like you must be a lunatic.

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Amazon delivery and McDonald's plastic toys , two of the biggest 'up yours' to the environment. 

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

1. R&b Wednesday - Pre-emptive Strike
    Look At Your Box by pikeys dog on Tue 21 Nov 2006
    • 78 / 2602
    • Alice on 22 Nov 2006
  2. Message From Funky Feet Ref: Postal Strike
    Record Sales by Guest Netspeaky on Tue 09 Oct 2007
    • 1 / 422
    • Netspeaky on 09 Oct 2007
  3. For Sale: Union- Strike On Mesa, 4th Coming, Shirley Combs, Bobby Sanders & More
    Record Sales by Guest vintagevideos on Sun 14 Dec 2008
    • 1 / 964
    • vintagevideos on 14 Dec 2008
  4. Strike
    Look At Your Box by Guest on Thu 10 Jul 2008
    • 7 / 562
    • Pete S on 10 Jul 2008
  5. Apb......hoping For A Strike
    Record Wants by Samson on Mon 13 Apr 2009
    • 12 / 802
    • Samson on 25 Apr 2009
  6. For Info Canada Postal Strike
    All About the SOUL by Dean on Fri 03 Jun 2011
    • 3 / 633
    • Dean on 06 Jun 2011

Source Adverts

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.