Larrymc profile photo

HOME CCTV RECOMMENDATIONS

Freebasing Larrymc

Posted

After having the wife's Honda car Catalytic Convertor cut off during the early hours on Friday morning, by some scum bags. I am looking at now installing CCTV for internal and external use. I just wondered if anyone can recommend a decent one, with phone connectivity without paying mega bucks.

The replacement exhaust cost enough, as they hadn't unbolted the Cat, they just cut through the front and rear section of the exhaust. This is an ongoing crime with all cars with Catalytic Converters and I was made aware of just how rife this has been in our area and surrounding area for the last year. In fact there was a car only 1 mile away which had the Cat cut off the previous week, which I only found out when speaking to the police.

Going the insurance route became a waste of time, as any car over 10 years old is usually written off. Even taking the write off money and then taking off the Excess and new insurance doubling in price. Also, it will have to have a new MOT and be marked as a write off, it became pointless and had to take the hit for it. All in all, with taking time off, new exhaust and other parts that have been damaged, it's going to cost hundreds.

Hind sight is a great thing, but even with motion sensor lights on the front of the house and the car parked right by the front of the house and parked no more that a Wing Mirrors width against my old car and my new car parked right at the back of it, the thieves managed to squeeze past to the drivers side. Then Jacked up the car and then using a battery powered Saw, cut though the exhaust. It wasn't even the original Cat, but an After Market replacement 3 years ago and at best, £30 scrap.

The neighbour has a good description of someone pulling up in between our house and their house as she was closing the bedroom curtains about 9.30pm. Sadly she didn't see the car make or registration, due to the hedges and tree. Someone got out, left the car running and the door open and began to look down our path and then round the outside of my car. The neighbour thought they were looking for a house number, then the person walked back to the car got in and drove off; The neighbour never thought anymore to it.

It was only in the morning when my wife started up the car, it sounded like the manifold was blowing. I told her to drive it to a friends garage and when they got it up on the ramps, they told her the Cat had been cut off. So upon on deep reflection, CCTV could have not only saved us a lot of money, but all the hassle of loosing a car for her work, taking the young grandchildren to and from school, which she has to drive two different schools and it is not just a nice to have vehicle, it is a vital family tool. So it's CCTV first and then looking at changing the car without a Catalytic Converter on the next vehicle. 

Share this source music forum post

soul source url
Posted

Don’t even consider putting WiFi cameras, we made that mistake.  They are nothing but problems!  We are having a 3 camera system installed on Thursday, wired in cameras, for around £1200

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Thanks for that, sounds like I have saved myself money and a hassle, as I was just looking a buying a WiFi set on Saturday and get installed. I was slightly unsure about the WiFi, as we have other gadgets connected to WiFi and not sure of the cross interference. 

soul source url
Posted
On 16/09/2019 at 20:32, larrymc said:

The replacement exhaust cost enough, as they hadn't unbolted the Cat, they just cut through the front and rear section of the exhaust. This is an ongoing crime with all cars with Catalytic Converters and I was made aware of just how rife this has been in our area and surrounding area for the last year. In fact there was a car only 1 mile away which had the Cat cut off the previous week, which I only found out when speaking to the police.

This has been rife for years now, particularly for the Accord. They cut through the exhaust with a device that looks like a metal ring clamp of sharks teeth that cut through like a old fashioned tin opener - no noise.  They ran off with the converter within seconds of the dog barking leaving the two wind up car jacks in situ. Police turned up two days later and weren't at all interested telling me i could keep the jacks, even after i pointed out it was a crime scene and the jacks were evidence and were no doubt stolen property which they were technically encourage me to now 'handle'! Police came back a week later asking for the jacks, but wouldn't be perusing the theft.

My mate a mechanic said you can buy a 'protector' for you CC, but you can cobble something up yourself using steel rope and rope clamps. Anything to cause a noise and delay should help.  Also, if your car is on flattish land, don't park with the handbreak on so that it probably move a little as the car is jacked up and scare them off.

14mm-5pcs-lot-304-Stainless-Steel-DIN741-U-type-Wire-Rope-Clip-Cable-Clamp-Rigging-Hardware.jpg

cat-clamp-product-2-768x561.png

clamp.jpg

soul source url
Posted

Thanks Simon this is most helpful.

soul source url
Posted (edited)
On 17/09/2019 at 17:50, Petebangor said:

Don’t even consider putting WiFi cameras, we made that mistake.  They are nothing but problems!  We are having a 3 camera system installed on Thursday, wired in cameras, for around £1200

I had the alarm system installed over on the wifi, I would definitely not recommend it. The CCTV is fine its just alarm system is so unstable.

Edited by Shaun

soul source url
Posted

Thanks Shaun I'll take note when getting the installation work done.

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted
On 19/09/2019 at 07:45, Larrymc said:

Thanks Simon this is most helpful.

Short of buying a small yapping  type dog, you can do some things to can do for next to nowt to make a little deterring noise;

don't kill off, but culture some brambles in places like behind sheds etc, they snag even when dead.

get some empty tin (drink) cans and string and ensemble in a 'just got married' fashion and stick them under your car, they make noise and won't do damage if you forget to take them out before driving off

save some drinks cans, squash them and put them on 'walkways', even cats will make noise when waking over those

soul source url
Posted

Idea's noted thanks.

soul source url

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

Source Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.