Vanguards #86

Mal C

VANGUARDS - BEFORE YOU TAKE ANOTHER STEP / THE THOUGHT OF LOSING YOUR LOVE (LAMP RECORDS #86) 

well blow me 1500 dollars for this? I paid 10 bucks for mine, always thought ‘thought of loosing you’ came out a few times, but surly worth the same they all go for 20 quid tops... or am i missing something? I normally am..

mal

Social source share

1 hour ago, Mal C said:

VANGUARDS - BEFORE YOU TAKE ANOTHER STEP / THE THOUGHT OF LOSING YOUR LOVE (LAMP RECORDS #86) 

well blow me 1500 dollars for this? I paid 10 bucks for mine, always thought ‘thought of loosing you’ came out a few times, but surly worth the same they all go for 20 quid tops... or am i missing something? I normally am..

mal

I don't know of a current price but this record is very rare. Their "Good times bad times" was fetching over four figures at one point and this is far rarer. A great song by a great group. 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

7 hours ago, Mal C said:

mal

Mal

dont want to be rude but are you sure you got this release ? If so you did very well.

or you have the thought with a different flip side?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

There must be a few examples where a record comes out more than once and one of the variants is much harder to find and has a different flip.

another rare example is love is not a stranger by j.p Robinson the rare local release having a great b side that does not appear on the easy to find national release.

Social source share

44 minutes ago, Dylan said:

There must be a few examples where a record comes out more than once and one of the variants is much harder to find and has a different flip.

another rare example is love is not a stranger by j.p Robinson the rare local release having a great b side that does not appear on the easy to find national release.

Phonetics on Trudel. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Ok so having checked i have a splattering of egg on my shirt, I have #80, so you are not rude Dylan, and I’ve not won the pools!  

interesting though,  I can think of half a dozen other tracks that are lesser known  that had multiple releases or multiple release numbers, that are well worth mentioning... 

The Charay label for starters, and that Mutt-Jeff label we were chatting about last week,  both a minefield of releases with same song different flips...

loads of major label white label promos obviously didn’t get the flip side that appeared on the release copies, black and Blue on mercury,  Sly Slick Wicked - Sho nuff on People Demo, with People get ready on the issue... god there are loads...too many to mention...

Loads of releases with short / long versions, Romana Clark comes to mind, and Johnny Scott - let me be a winner / Portra,  But also others that are less expensive but nice to have: 

Betty Swan - closed for the season / I’m Lonely for you / Capitol with ‘Don’t touch me being the more common less good flip side. 

Hope the seller does well and the thread has highlighted what he has on offer :/) 

Mal 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

14 hours ago, Mal C said:

Ok so having checked i have a splattering of egg on my shirt, I have #80, so you are not rude Dylan, and I’ve not won the pools!  

interesting though,  I can think of half a dozen other tracks that are lesser known  that had multiple releases or multiple release numbers, that are well worth mentioning... 

The Charay label for starters, and that Mutt-Jeff label we were chatting about last week,  both a minefield of releases with same song different flips...

loads of major label white label promos obviously didn’t get the flip side that appeared on the release copies, black and Blue on mercury,  Sly Slick Wicked - Sho nuff on People Demo, with People get ready on the issue... god there are loads...too many to mention...

Loads of releases with short / long versions, Romana Clark comes to mind, and Johnny Scott - let me be a winner / Portra,  But also others that are less expensive but nice to have: 

Betty Swan - closed for the season / I’m Lonely for you / Capitol with ‘Don’t touch me being the more common less good flip side. 

Hope the seller does well and the thread has highlighted what he has on offer :/) 

Mal 

Was this booted in the early 80s ?

Social source share

Well i guess I’m glad to be at the butt end of the subject here haha Anyhow gentleman isn’t this always usually the case we see a record for a said  certain price and Expect it to be what the sales history reflect,.. 

But in certain instances like this one here, this particular issue does not really pop up in the history Sales often  or on sales list for that matter. Although the last copy went for $1100 usd,..

So with that being said I don’t know when another copy will pop up for sale ?? So in light of this thread I am willing to be more reasonable and be open to Offers starting at $1200 usd ...

i believe my copy is Cleaner than the last that sold and also this is a very reluctant sell On a personal Only copy..

may I also add I’ve  seen many, many,  other Sweet Soul records These Days that are not nearly half as Genuinely Rare as this Vanguards Release ! and those are Fetching like $1800-$2500 usd  ,..Soul Experience Comes to mind and a lot of copies of that Have came up  (Comparatively speaking ) 

so at least grab something Genuinely rare that rarely ever pops up at all!! Especially from the desirable Indiana Lamp Label And if you heard this  Sweet Soul Side you would agree it is tops, Just my thoughts..

ATB ALL 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 1 month later...

bit of a tangent but would appreciate any help with regard to the various issues of 'it's too late for love/the thought of losing your love'. There seems to be dj(white), red,,gold,yellow on Lamp80  and red & yellow on Lamp652.

any info on order of releases (assuming all legit?) and rarety?  many thanks.  

Social source share

#652 (self distributed) red (PL pressing plant) and yellow (? pressing plant) with the yellow one being more common.

#80 (Cotillion/Atlantic group distributed) WDJ (PL/SP pressing plants), gold (SP pressing plant) and yellow (PL & MO pressing plants).

No bootleg for this common record. Although Discogs lists a bad photo (hard to tell) of a white (?) label (promo ?) #80 (PL pressing plant) as 'RE'...

The least seen variation in my experience is the red #652 (PL) one and a #80 (MO) WDJ that I have not seen yet ! Does it even exists ? I can't say.

Price/value all the sam though ! The Lamp label collectors should aim for the self distributed pressings I believe. I prefer the SP masterings to the PL.

• Thanks 1
Social source share

17 hours ago, Tlscapital said:

Although Discogs lists a bad photo (hard to tell) of a white (?) label (promo ?) #80 (PL pressing plant) as 'RE'...

It doesn't look like it qualifies as a reissue by the discogs guidelines. The contributor who added it just tagged it as reissue because of the Cotillion distribution.

18 hours ago, Tlscapital said:

#652 (self distributed) red (PL pressing plant) and yellow (? pressing plant) with the yellow one being more common.

The yellow one is a Southern Plastics pressing.

• Thanks 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!