How many Versions of Soul Symphony

Davlee

A favourite of mine in the 70s was Soul Symphony-Sons of Moses. Over the years there have been other issues under different names of the same track both in UK & USA.

Six feet Under, Hammond Brothers & Maggie comes to mind..

see below one I have not seen before, which has the same index number as the Le-Cam -Charay release..It look like a late 70s issue. Anyone know the full story or order of releases.

Apologies if it has already been discussed.

s-l1600.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

4 minutes ago, Davlee said:

A favourite of mine in the 70s was Soul Symphony-Sons of Moses. Over the years there have been other issues under different names of the same track both in UK & USA.

Six feet Under, Hammond Brothers & Maggie comes to mind..

see below one I have not seen before, which has the same index number as the Le-Cam -Charay release..It look like a late 70s issue. Anyone know the full story or order of releases.

Apologies if it has already been discussed.

s-l1600.jpg

Good question, this vocal is from 1968

Social source share

8 minutes ago, Michael V said:

Also Ede Robin-There Must Be A Love Somewhere (Le Cam) reissued in 75' on Crystal in the UK. .Either Moses & Joshua or Sons Of Moses came first(not sure which)  I'm fairly sure. Major Bill Smith  certainly did love re-using backing tracks,that is for sure!

Major Bill (what a character he was), think Lecam was about 1971/72

Ede.jpg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

It's been discussed on here before. Worth to find the link back. On my behalf, I am solidly found of the 'soul over easy' by the Hammond Brothers & Magie mix. Leaving me not bothered as a record collector not being a sixties "first edition". In regard of the other similar dark plum label and silver prints Le Cam releases more likely an early to mid seventies press.

Order of release of many of his Le Cam, Charay and Zuma labels should prove difficult to date. And even more so beyond 1969. About the 'soul symphony' on Coral, that which I believe to be first issue, as a lease venture with a "major" record company, all the other versions (different mixes) and titles or credited artists seem to go all over the places date-wise.

There is another "early" release of the 'soul symphony' out there if my memory serves me right still. Like on Zuma maybe... Or another small sub label of his. Often claim to be the very first local release. But that could also or rather (IMO) be an early seventies release that uses the same 'dry' with 'short intro' mix as the Sons of Moses "hit" version.

The odd QCA orange label that you show here (never saw that before, nice one !) pressed at RCA (seemingly at least) uses the same typo and catalogue number as my Le Cam. Really odd release. Keep 'em coming.

Social source share

3 minutes ago, Tlscapital said:

It's been discussed on here before. Worth to find the link back. On my behalf, I am solidly found of the 'soul over easy' by the Hammond Brothers & Magie mix. Leaving me not bothered as a record collector not being a sixties "first edition". In regard of the other similar dark plum label and silver prints Le Cam releases more likely an early to mid seventies press.

Order of release of many of his Le Cam, Charay and Zuma labels should prove difficult to date. And even more so beyond 1969. About the 'soul symphony' on Coral, that which I believe to be first issue, as a lease venture with a "major" record company, all the other versions (different mixes) and titles or credited artists seem to go all over the places date-wise.

There is another "early" release of the 'soul symphony' out there if my memory serves me right still. Like on Zuma maybe... Or another small sub label of his. Often claim to be the very first local release. But that could also or rather (IMO) be an early seventies release that uses the same 'dry' with 'short intro' mix as the Sons of Moses "hit" version.

The odd QCA orange label that you show here (never saw that before, nice one !) pressed at RCA (seemingly at least) uses the same typo and catalogue number as my Le Cam. Really odd release. Keep 'em coming.

Social source share

As an anecdote taken from Wiki on Major Bill Smith; 

later years, he achieved some notoriety for circulating tapes which he claimed proved that Elvis Presley had not died in 1977 but was still alive... In 1983 Smith initiated a legal action against Elvis Presley Enterprises, claiming it was interfering with his ability to publish a book about Presley; it was eventually published privately as Elvis Lives.

Fantastic !

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Sons of Moses (Soft) is the 1st cut but with the short intro. Obvious if you think about it. THE SONS OF MOSES DILLARD!🤪

Better on Coral with the long intro imo.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

1 hour ago, Steve Lane said:

Sons of Moses (Soft) is the 1st cut but with the short intro. Obvious if you think about it. THE SONS OF MOSES DILLARD!🤪

Better on Coral with the long intro imo.

I thought it was the other way around - long intro on Soft, short intro on Coral? Long time since I owned either but that's how I remember  it - have mis rembered all this time?

Social source share

22 hours ago, Rich B said:

I thought it was the other way around - long intro on Soft, short intro on Coral? Long time since I owned either but that's how I remember  it - have mis rembered all this time?

You have me thinking now Rich.......My Coral demo has the intro, I was sure the Soft issue didn`t. ???

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!