Mickey Stevenson - I stand blue

Becket

Having arrived home Sunday morning with my 100 Club 40th Anniversary 45, I was eager to listen to its B side.
[The A side, Carolyn Crawford, having already been played by Ady on the night.]
Well, what can I say, I was totally gob-smacked by how awesome it was.
Never having heard this before (not sure if anyone had already?) I couldn't stop playing it.

Mickey is better known for his writing, arranging and A&R work, than his voice isn't he ?
Ady quotes 1968 and the interweb states him and Kim left Motown in 1967 for MGM.
So would this and Carolyn have been released on the MGM label then ?

I very much hope Ady has some more stuff like this to play / release over the coming months.

Cheers....................     Tom.  (Banbury)

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Not being in The Northern Scene in Britain, and not having found a tape or acetate of Mickey singing that song during my searches through The Motown Vaults during the 1970s, and not having had mickey play it for me when his offices were adjacent to our Airwave Records' offices during the early 1980s 😎, I haven't gotten to hear "I Stand Blue" by Mickey.  I would like to listen to a digital sound clip of it, if possible.  Also, I would like to know what new previously unreleased Motown recording by Carolyn Crawford was on "the 'A' Side", in case I've never heard that one.  She is not only one of my favourite Motown singers, but one of my favourite singers (out of literally thousands).

Can anyone post sound files (or, at least snippets)?

Social source share

I see that I haven't heard either cut.  But Carolyn's being a 1971 recording was apparently NOT a Motown recording (despite Vicki Basemore being one of the writers.  Maybe Martin Stevenson was Mickey's son?  I seem to remember Vicki doing some songwriting for late '60s and early '70s Mickey's productions with MGM and Venture Records.  I guess Mickey's cut on the flip is also from that period.  Now I've confirmed that, noticing Mikim Music on the Kent label.  I hope someone can post snippets of them.

Edited by Robbk
Social source share

17 hours ago, Becket said:

Having arrived home Sunday morning with my 100 Club 40th Anniversary 45, I was eager to listen to its B side.
[The A side, Carolyn Crawford, having already been played by Ady on the night.]
Well, what can I say, I was totally gob-smacked by how awesome it was.
Never having heard this before (not sure if anyone had already?) I couldn't stop playing it.

Mickey is better known for his writing, arranging and A&R work, than his voice isn't he ?
Ady quotes 1968 and the interweb states him and Kim left Motown in 1967 for MGM.
So would this and Carolyn have been released on the MGM label then ?

I very much hope Ady has some more stuff like this to play / release over the coming months.

Cheers....................     Tom.  (Banbury)

I'm sure they weren't released on singles.  I doubt that Carolyn Crawford had a release on an MGM affiliate label, or on Venture.  Maybe Mickey's cut was on one of his LPs.  But, I'd be surprised.  I think both songs were previously unreleased.  In fact it says "previously unreleased" right on the labels.

Edited by Robbk
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!