John Anderson R.I.P.

Chalky

A very sad day, quite apart from his significance in the world of music, he was a truly lovely guy, always willing to give you the time, and full of fascinating tales.

A man who will be missed.

Edited by Rich B
Social source share

24 minutes ago, Garethx said:

Sad news. John Anderson was the record dealer all other record dealers wanted to be when they grew up. 

I remember talking to John a good few years ago at cleethorpes weekender,I asked him if he had brought anything tasty with him.He handed me a 25 count box,when I saw what was in it my eyes nearly popped out on stalks.He was and will always remain The Man. Chris. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

So sad to be reading this news today as many others have said the top supplier of vinyl to the scene over the last 40/50 yrs!! will be truly missed! Rest In Peace. Our thoughts and prayers are with family and friends at this very sad Time.

Edited by mrtag
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

John gave me this EMI disc cut from Popcorn's 'Down in the Dumps' master tapes. Its got the old Soul Bowl logo and the address is from Portland Street before he moved to the farm. Must be from around '75-'76 ended up on the Grapevine LP but prefer the Soul Bowl EMI just for the memories. 

soul IMG_3174

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Very sad news.   Soul Bowl 'Soul packs' ,  i ordered a couple as a young lad,   can't even remember what was in them,  but i know for sure, that there may have been a future gem hidden inside !

The 'GO TO' place , the excitement when an envelope with the latest lists , fell through the door at home.   like lots of other guys on here (and around the world) ,   we never met, but there's no doubting, his input and hard work, put the Northern Soul scene on the pedestal it is placed on today. 

Rest in Peace our friend.     a sad day indeed

Social source share

Echoing all the replies total legend and his lists it was the highlight of many collectors his list arriving and seeing what you could afford , dialing again and again till you got through then getting the " yep still got that " awesome. 

These people built the scene whether they knew it or not .

R.I.P old friend.

Social source share

So sad to hear this terrible news, our condolences to the family.

John was the greatest record dealer of them all, a true pioneer.

Ringing up from the local phone box on list day, often hearing those dreaded words of his 'sorry that ones gone'.

But what great records he supplied, when you were lucky enough to get in first.

And nearly always truly mint as well, wonderful memories.

When our collection was at it's peak some ten years ago, John was the man who supplied the majority of them.

Rest in peace John, to Soul Collectors everywhere you were a legend.

Donna & Andrew.

Social source share

Awful news , He influenced our listening and dancing pleasure to an immeasurable level , the ultimate record dealer and a man with great taste whether it was Rare Soul ,Funk ,Two Step / Rare Groove or Modern Soul New releases .We will never know anyone on that level again ,and he was such a modest and nice fella to talk too .Sleep well John and thank you for enriching my life from the 70’s until the present day x

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Very sad news.

I met him a few times on my travels to Kings Lynn and spoke many times on the phone during my record collecting journey.

Responsible for so many of the records that are still played and treasured in collections today.

He was a legend.

R.I.P. John

Sincere condolences to his family.

Social source share

Been buying off John for at least 40 years.

He did run Soul Bowl from West Winch (after Portland Street, still King's Lynn) for a period of time during the 90's and I used to visit there regular with a pocket full of cash. I remember getting these gems for between £20-30...Disciples Of Soul (Running Back), Majjestees (Mutt), Four Pros (Just Another Girl), Billy Hambric (Drum), Gene Chandler (Mr. Big Shot) among others.

Rest easy big man. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!