John Anderson R.I.P.

Chalky

{See the message this is responding to in next post)

I remember Dean, Charlie.

Going through a tough time financially I took a suitcase of mint UK Motown albums to sell after a meeting in Manchester in the mid eighties. I thought John might be interested and I made my way to Expansion on Corporation Street. I used to frequent Ralph’s records in the early seventies and I’m sure Expansion was in the same premises.

Dean was on the desk and was really excited with what I handed over the counter. He picked up the telephone and called John for a price. John had no idea it was on behalf of me and Dean said “I’ve got someone here from Glasgow with a mint collection of Motown LP’s.” The response was quick and low. Even Dean was surprised and I wonder if he recalls this? (Edit- Apologies, I had no idea that Dean had passed-RIP)

So I left the shop with my optimism in tatters. John sold thousands of records at fair prices but jeez he knew a bit about procurement too.

It wasn’t long before I got my price when I sold most of the albums to Pete Lawson at his home in Ormskirk. Sadly Pete was murdered sometime later.

Two legends of the scene but for today we remember John.

RIP.

Edited by David Meikle
Dean Johnson RIP
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

4 hours ago, Charlie Rees said:

Hello David, great to hear from you albeit under such tragic circumstances, hope you and George are well.  My great friend Dean Johnson worked for John, managing the Expansion shop in Manchester and drove to Kings Lynn every Wednesday to collect stock. John gave Dean carte blanche to dig through the shelves and find all sorts of great unknown (at the time) seventies soul, funk and Jazz in addition to the core stock of 60`s northern and 70`s modern soul that was in demand. Dean often said that this was his dream job and that John was an unbelievably brilliant employer.

Apologies this should have been a quote in relation to above.

Social source share

I guess we all remember the heady days waiting for the lists to drop through the letter box - getting on the phone and then the second wait for the record(s) to arrive.  There can be very few on SS who have not got a few records in their collections that they got from John - Mr Soul Bowl.

R.I.P. sir.

Social source share

R.I.P John never got to meet you in person but spoke to you on the phone many times ordering records as we all did ,He noticed i was buying a lot of Okeh records issues and demo's and i told him i wanted to collect the whole label he laughed and said no chance they have been on the go since the 1920's not just a 60s label ,thanks for telling me ,like everyone else on the "Soul scene" i couldn't wait for the list to drop through the letter box and see what gems there was to get or not .

Social source share

I can only echo what others have said:

The wait for the Wednesday lists, the frantic redials to try to get through, the “no that’s gone, aye you can have that Tooley “, the packages dropping through the letterbox, marvelling at Richard’s new sounds at Wigan on Saturday night, Dave Withers ringing him from the Arndale Market to ask if a particular artist was male or female, finding your old Soul Bowl lists 30 years later and wanting that tome machine right now!

An influencer, a character and a top bloke. RIP John and condolences to those close to you .

Social source share

Without doubt he was the biggest single contributor to what became the Northern Soul Scene. From Groove City records in Glasgow to Soul Bowl in King's Lynn, he was the biggest finder of records ever. 

RIP. and best wishes to your family.

Social source share

OMG I'm so sorry to that news. My thoughts go out to all his family. I never met John but spoke to him a lot from 77' to 80 on a payphone opposite work during my lunch time. My weekly wants from his lists would be gradully scratched off as he said "sorry thats gone" and I would end up with the the bottom record on the list. Which nowadays ended up a bargain anyway. I recall going over to Kings Lynn for a work related meeting many years later probably around 1999 and just had to walk down Portland St but he may have gone by then. R.I.P John

Social source share

I don't think there's a collection in the land without a record sleeve with 'Soul Bowl' stated on it.

I fondly remember going through soul packs, putting them in my different stacks, and even up to today I still re-visit records I filed that now sound brilliant, which back then I 'shelved' and forgot about.

RIP John Anderson.

Len.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Sad news dealing with John early 80s after coming back from Wigan to Edinburgh, then on Monday phoning him about the availability of all those magical cover ups from Searling and Sam. Was a great time in my life Sowl Boul always comes to mind when I hear these tunes when I hear them. The one I can still remember to this day was asking him nervously if he had the Top Cat c/u (Larry Houston) in which he replied yep no problem pure bliss.

R.I.P John.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

My thoughts are with John's family and close friends loved listening to John,s stories about his trips stateside top bloke who made such a massive impact  and contribution to the soul scene since the early 70s Legend Yes Nice Bloke Definitely..
Always Loved 
Never Forgotten x

• Up vote 3
Social source share

15 hours ago, Soulatthedale said:

He was responsible for me being late for work on most Wednesdays as I stood in anticipation waiting for the postman to deliver his list. 

R IP John.

I started work 7:30 in a morning but my work colleague was very good and would drop me off home waiting outside having his morning bacon sandwich while i got my list and when it arrived looked for the nearest phon box with a working phone, the bloody tension of waiting for the post man with the list (some times it would arrive a day late, ahrrrrrr ) but if all went well getting what you wanted and not getting caught, My, My, the stories some of us could tell all for the want of that wonderful Vinyl

• Up vote 1
Social source share

How sad to hear of Johns passing I think the scene has lost a figurehead which cannot be replaced time will tell the affect it will have this guy was the head guru of the scene the history is there I still have my groove city lists and soul bowl 1st list  a really nice person to chat to always had time for records collectors rip john Anderson thoughts are with his family 

Andy & Paula 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Sad news in deed and condolences to the family, I too, have enjoyed the pain and joy of phone calls at 8 in a morning, but was always very pleased when the "mint" record arrived.

Enjoyed chatting to John at Cleethorpes in the record room and his stories were amazing, wish I had recorded them, went to see what John had first before going to the other dealers his records were always quality and with the green Soul Bowl sleeve, you will be solely missed.

Top dealer and Gentleman,

Ronnie

• Up vote 1
Social source share

John’s son Stuart posted on Facebook the funeral details for John....

FUNERAL ARRANGEMENTS FOR JOHN ANDERSON

Monday 28th OCTOBER 12 noon @ Roucan Loch Crematorium DG1 4JF (nr. Dumfries, Scotland)

A huge warm thank you to everyone who has taken the time to share their thoughts, offer condolences, share memories and offer tributes to my dad John Anderson. To say its been overwhelming is an understatement, but more importantly, they have been a continuous stream of sunshine during these dark days. Thank you, truly!

I have made the funeral arrangements (see above) and anyone who would like to come to say goodbye is more than welcome (i've provided the link with directions below). 

*There will also be a wake after the service which is at a smaller venue 45 minutes away meaning I will need to keep tabs on who would like to attend. If you would like to be at that (and I haven't contacted you already) please contact me on my dad's email; soulbowl1@aol.com and i'll get back to you asap.

Thank you again 

Stu

• Up vote 3
Social source share

40 minutes ago, Chalky said:

A wonderful two hour tribute to John son Dean Anderson's Sound Of Soul.  Worth listening to if only for the emotional tribute to John from his friend of almost 50 years Val Shively.

Thanks mate for posting this. Will have a listen tomorrow,  bit knackered after 220 mile drive home from Tenby.   Trust you are well and safe 

Edited by Winsford Soul
Social source share

32 minutes ago, David Meikle said:

Nice to hear Val mentioning Marissa too. 

soul 6FBB074B 4F8E 4031 84F3 EF3BA08AAB93

Like so many I spoke to john each week hoping to grab something off his list before somebody else did.On several occasions however he would be in America leaving Marissa holding the fort,I found her to be extremely helpful and this is the first time I have seen a photo of her,thank you for posting this. Chris. 

Social source share

45 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Very good mate, hope the trip was fruitful.

Had a good time thanks mate.   Viewed one bungalow a couple of times,  considering making a offer. 

Waiting on laptop repair so as I can post some wildlife pictures.  

Sorry about the off topic reply 

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

I listened to the show last night

Dean & Alan did a incredible tribute to John  ... they put together a heartfelt and respectful tribute to his life ... full of memories and stories from people who knew him and respected him

The words from Val Shively were touching ... I felt his loss and admiration in equal levels

I would urge you all to listen

Thank you D&A .... you did him proud and if he had been listening I'm sure he would have cracked a smile

Andy

Social source share

I hope a biography of Johns life gets written.

Even though he was not a great fan of Northern Soul himself, his efforts to bring every 45rpm disc from the USA that could be adopted was simply awe inspiring. It's probable every record collection in the world has records he shipped over in it.

A posthumous freedom of Kings Lynn should follow, and Portland Street renamed after him.

However since he was a humble man, maybe call it soul bowl street.

Ed

Social source share

14 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

I hope a biography of Johns life gets written.

Even though he was not a great fan of Northern Soul himself, his efforts to bring every 45rpm disc from the USA that could be adopted was simply awe inspiring. It's probable every record collection in the world has records he shipped over in it.

A posthumous freedom of Kings Lynn should follow, and Portland Street renamed after him.

However since he was a humble man, maybe call it soul bowl street.

Ed

Yes interesting you say he was not a great fan of Northern but my word the Man had an ear for exactly what  Northern Soul fans and DJ's alike were looking for, That said when i asked what HE liked to listen to on one of my first visits to him his reply was the STAX or related sound of Stax, who would have thought,

Edited by Rick Scott
missed out word
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

On 04/10/2019 at 21:41, Andy Rix said:

This is such sad sad news ... it cuts as deep for me as many of us felt when icons such as Popcorn or Mike Terry left us.

The simple fact is that John shaped our musically journey through life as much as those who made the records he discovered and we loved. An equal partnership in my eyes.

We all have our stories about frantic phone calls .. stories he would relate about his numerous trips and the people he met that none of us could ever equal ....

Many of us had visits to Soul Bowl and both places were pretty overwhelming. I recall my first visit to Portland St in the 70s, as I'd been in Kings Lynn with friends, I live not that far away, we dropped in one Wednesday morning to see what was on offer this week . pretty mindblowing ... in later years I used to go to West Winch with Steve Handbury as he had stuff to collect but as I didn't know if I had enough money that month to pay for my gas bill, let alone my mortgage, I was just an innocent bystander as deals took place... but just being there amongst all of that 'stuff' and seeing what he had sitting on his bench remain memories that I'll keep, and treasure, forever

When it comes to buying vinyl I've always been frugal ... some would say tight ... and John knew that... so when I had some spare cash and phoned to try and buy a 45 off the list John would say "Ok Andy, clearly I've made a mistake on the price because that's the only reason you're calling" ... and he was right.

It is a sad, so very sad, loss but what an incredible life he must have had ... he continued the journey, in a different way but as equally important, as people like Dave Godin, and many others, that opened a door for us all to enjoy and appreciate music that we probably take for granted but is firmly embedded in our DNA .

R.I.P John ...  thank you for just being you

Andy  

Trust he honoured the listed price

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Rick Scott said:

Yes interesting you say he was not a great fan of Northern but my word the Man had an ear for exactly what  Northern Soul fans and DJ's alike were looking for, That said when i asked what HE liked to listen to on one of my first visits to him his reply was the STAX or related sound of Stax, who would have thought,

Not just Northern  but he seemed to know what was wanted regionally.  What they wanted at Cleethorpes, what they wanted at Wigan etc etc. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

There was a Top Ten of John Andersons doing the rounds last week but I can’t find it. I am pretty sure there was only one Northern track on it albeit the best one ever made IMO, Alexander Patton. Nobody has said John didn’t like Northern; Tomangoes said John was ”not a great fan” which is a pretty accurate description.

He was a ”deep soul” and “rough uptempo soul“ man. But it was Northern that gave him a great living.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!