Morecambe's Mother Of All Soul Nights

Saturday Feb 17th - 8pm to very very late at the Upstairs Downstairs - on the prom in Morecambe. If Carlsberg did Soul Nights they wouldn't be this good !

The fact that it coincides with Haydn (Taffy) Owen's 50th is pure chance. All soul sourcers welcome, (including Backdoor Kenny!) mail Taff on saxafone@aol.com if not already on the VIP invite list. Many will already have been blackmailed to attend so don't miss out.

A fantastic night of superb 60ts soul with Morecambe's finest joining North Wales nomad Steve Thomas, Mac from London's Soul in The City and Solid Hit Soul's Dave Greenhill.

Don't tell the Council - they've always banned anything this good before !!!!!

No bleedin cards - donations on the night to St John's Hospice.

Edited by Saxafone
  • Replies 52
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Haydn, really looking forward to this event thumbsup.gif Is Iain coming along?

Hoping to tempt a couple of Salopian Soulies along as well :shades:

What more could I ask for...Soulful Saturday then Chester at Cae Ras on Sunday lunch :yes:

I've not told Dave yet about the Chester bit :)

Mac

Haydn, really looking forward to this event :boxing: Is Iain coming along?

Hoping to tempt a couple of Salopian Soulies along as well :unsure:

What more could I ask for...Soulful Saturday then Chester at Cae Ras on Sunday lunch :lol:

I've not told Dave yet about the Chester bit :shades:

Mac

I've had just about enough of crap football teams, I'll go for a long walk :sleep3:

Hi Mac, yes Ian is on the blackmail list to attend (or else his house gets burnt down) Expecting quite a few north Wales Nomads with Steve Thomas doing the biz! Don't forget Morecambe v Cambridge Utd on Sat afternoon, Dave's in for a feast of quality soccer !

See you at Soul in The City Weds - Taff

Hi Haydn,

Me and the other half are coming up to show the northerners how to drink (and dance, ha! ha!). Been to Solid Hit Soul a good few times and Dave's a top notch DJ. Already booked the hotel and are trying to decide if we're going to give RyanAir our cash . . . Will give the football a miss, as I'm sick enough of bad football as it is biggrin.gif

Hi Martin, just don't buy a drink on Ryanair from Stansted to blackpool coz it only takes 30 mins and they snatch it back from you seconds after charging you £5 for a half coz you're landing- mind that's only London prices and you'll be used to it !

Agree about Dave G, top sounds - but you wait till you've seen Mac's dancing !

Taff

For the confused - this is a Seaside Soul Club & Wandering Welshman one off 60ts special. Check out this great club's web site for more info & location www.seasidesoul.co.uk. If you are a Seaside SC regular, you are already on the invite list - just get Charlie or one of the other reprobates to vouch for you !

You'll never be caught dancing to a 70's sound again after this !

It's Taff's birthday - no cards, no fee, just a donation to St John's Hospice on the night.

Saddam's last words, which they wouldn't broadcast - "does this mean I miss the Mother of All Soul Nights ?"

Edited by Saxafone

Yes true Chester City play some awful football but he'll be watching the Mighty Reds :shades:

I've given on dancing on my doctor's advice :lol: Yer right!

Taff you should also give up head butting walls :no:

Looking forward to a great weekend :thumbsup: I wonder if I can persuade Linda to come along.....last time she came along to a Northern Night was at the Starlight Rooms West Hampstead...in November '79 :rolleyes: Dave G was there that night too!

Taff, see you at the Ditch later :thumbsup:

Yes true Chester City play some awful football but he'll be watching the Mighty Reds :shades:

I've given on dancing on my doctor's advice :rolleyes: Yer right!

Taff you should also give up head butting walls whistling.gif

Looking forward to a great weekend :thumbsup: I wonder if I can persuade Linda to come along.....last time she came along to a Northern Night was at the Starlight Rooms West Hampstead...in November '79 :shades: Dave G was there that night too!

Taff, see you at the Ditch later :thumbsup:

hello hayden and all, realy looking forward to this think a good few of the taffia are coming up for this gonna be a stormer!!

best steve T :wicked::P

Taff you should also give up head butting walls :thumbsup:

Mac, let's set the record straight I didn't headbutt the wall, I only do that when I hear 70's stuff. The shiner and mega lump on head were Ady Croasdel's fault. There i was quietly minding me own business at the 100 club crimbo party, along with 350 other like minded alcoholics, decided to visit the executive VIP bogs when I went arse over tit on the ice rink that was the dance floor and landed on my head (which was lucky). The good thing was I won best backdrop of the night !

More falling over performances guaranteed on the 17th Feb !

Mac, let's set the record straight I didn't headbutt the wall, I only do that when I hear 70's stuff. The shiner and mega lump on head were Ady Croasdel's fault. There i was quietly minding me own business at the 100 club crimbo party, along with 350 other like minded alcoholics, decided to visit the executive VIP bogs when I went arse over tit on the ice rink that was the dance floor and landed on my head (which was lucky). The good thing was I won best backdrop of the night !

More falling over performances guaranteed on the 17th Feb !

thats not how i remember it at all and i was standing right next to you

Martin, as I remember - you can't remember anything from the 100 club crimbo do! If we'd only have known it may have been the last one, we could have got even more wrecked and I'd have fallen over one more time !

Must play some 6ts 100 club sounds, Maxine, Barbara Lynn, Brenda H and the rest and celebrate the memories, it's the end of an era - start of another - if only I could remember the first one !

For those coming to Morecambe for this one from distant parts, or for the first time - have a look at the Morecambe Festival of Soul thread on here and get ready to book your return visit.

Mac, Steve & Dave - if you pick this one up - let's have a 100 club 6ts playlist in there somewhere on the night.

Taff

Edited by Saxafone

Martin, as I remember - you can't remember anything from the 100 club crimbo do! If we'd only have known it may have been the last one, we could have got even more wrecked and I'd have fallen over one more time !

reading ady's last postings it may not be the last one so keep the faith

very busy at the moment so morecambe might be the next time i let loose so looking forward to it big time

the seaside soul boys had their meeting on thursday night

gonna be a cracking night for taffy this one

and some exciting news were doing a northern soul day/night to tag on to the morecambe soul weekend end of april 27th 28th 29th 2007

any djs wanting to give their services free please get in touch

its a free weekend festival event to everyone

check out the threads on here and www.essentialmodernsoul.co.nr and listen out on shaun robbins sunday soul selection solar radio channel 0129 1000am till 1200pm each week

sean@onthescene.co.uk

cheers sean

www.seasidesoul.co.uk

Must play some 6ts 100 club sounds, Maxine, Barbara Lynn, Brenda H and the rest and celebrate the memories, it's the end of an era - start of another - if only I could remember the first one !

For those coming to Morecambe for this one from distant parts, or for the first time - have a look at the Morecambe Festival of Soul thread on here and get ready to book your return visit.

Mac, Steve & Dave - if you pick this one up - let's have a 100 club 6ts playlist in there somewhere on the night.

Taff

ok Haden sure i got afew of the big 100 club sounds i,ll play you no worrys , will pull most of my 70`s xcrossover stuff out my box to make room for afew!!

is colin and jean , and paul oslem coming up with cel do you know mate ??? i feel a covoy coming on lol :thumbsup:

steve T

ok Haden sure i got afew of the big 100 club sounds i,ll play you no worrys , will pull most of my 70`s xcrossover stuff out my box to make room for afew!!

is colin and jean , and paul oslem coming up with cel do you know mate ??? i feel a covoy coming on lol :ohmy:

steve T

No!!!!!!........... :ohmy::ohmy:

keep some of those nice 70ss xover tunes in....please :rolleyes:thumbsup.gif

dont worry ill sort him out at gravesend on 10th february

couple of beers down him he'll soon change his mind

:lol::no:

No!!!!!!........... ohmy.gif:lol:

keep some of those nice 70ss xover tunes in....please :thumbsup::shades:

:lol::lol:

Noooooooooo Steve, don't be deceived - Ockers is the Devil's 70s spawn (and his mate Charlie's not much better)

Tis a 6ts night, let them be educated as to the ways of older and wiser people.

As a compromise how about we split the turns and in the early slots you can play 70s sh*te if you wish, but after 10:30 tis a no go zone !

Will be raffling 2 bands for Prestatyn in aid of St John's Hospice on the night - entry to Northern Room only!

Steve - why ask me what Cels is doing in 4 weeks time - he doesn't know what he's doing tomorrow !

Confirmations arriving from all over the land - tis gonna be a packer and a cracker ! If you want to come, mail Taff now or we'll be full up and you will miss out big time.

saxafone@aol.com

Taff

will be a cracker taff

looking forward to tomorrow nights do too

just fnalised gig plans for april weekend get in touch tonight mate via email if you can

will be posting out details early next week

working on flyer poster as we speak

all looking great

weve 6 venues for the whole weekend including orwell on the friday night fo rsome of that lovely crossover and 70ss soul you love

:shades:whistling.gif

keep it soulful whether 60ss or beyond

hello cel tomos, how are you......how`s the family. If I promise not to get lost going to Morcambe or coming back will you travel with Jean and me.............you can also sit in the front

hi colin, do they do baby seats in the front for cel?? spoke to cel yesterday and he was thinking minie bus? we will form a cunning plan next week at banor or winsford, paul o,lsam up fpr it dennis dave , dj , johnny maybe ?? looks like a good turn out!!

hope to see some at wolves tonite

steve T :D

PS NICE TO SEE YOU POSTING ON HERE

No!!!!!!........... :ohmy::ohmy:

keep some of those nice 70ss xover tunes in....please :D:thumbsup:

:lol::lol:

HI OCKERS !! looking forward to meeting up wid you mate, i,ll try play something for everybody ., will even slip in afew cross over when haydens bissy headbutting the toilet floor mate lol :lol:

The drunker he gets the easyer it will be mate, i,ll even announce the records in welsh for him !! real holyhead welsh, not that strange welsh that cel and colin speak in them there mountains :no: thats a cross between yodling and sheep noises :excl::yes:

BEST STEVE T

i,ll even announce the records in welsh for him !! real holyhead welsh, not that strange welsh that cel and colin speak in them there mountains :no: thats a cross between yodling and sheep noises :thumbsup::yes:

BEST STEVE T

is it compulsery to speak welsh in the land of where men are men and sheep are nervous.

should i check my passport and change my money

KEEP IT 6OTS :thumbsup:

hello hadyn,

my mam told me 40yrs ago not to hang out with you (uffar o hogun drwg ydi o )

and when she saw the state on me coming home from prestatyn,that's it your not

going to his 50th!

i will see if i can round her,

kel thomas

Hey Cels, that's nothing my mam still warns me to keep away from myself ! (paid a cymryd dim sylw o' dy hyn, ti ddim yn hanner gall ) Mind you weren't exactly a picture of sobriety when you left Prestatyn on the sunday morning - defo not fit for chapel ! It was totally outrageous of me to force all those beers down your neck as well ! Vaguely remember you being poured into Francis' car - have you told him about morecambe ? You must have been wearing your St Christopher that night !

We can do it all over again on the 17th, then Prestatyn shortly after - get your excuses in early !

is it compulsery to speak welsh in the land of where men are men and sheep are nervous.

should i check my passport and change my money

Martin, you'll be singing Hen Wlad fy Nhadau and Calon Lan all the way back to London after this one and you'll never touch another jellied eel once you've tried tripe, chips, black pudding and mushy peas washed down with 12 pints of boddingtons !

Haydn

Edited by Saxafone

HI OCKERS !! looking forward to meeting up wid you mate, i,ll try play something for everybody ., will even slip in afew cross over when haydens bissy headbutting the toilet floor mate lol :unsure:

The drunker he gets the easyer it will be mate, i,ll even announce the records in welsh for him !! real holyhead welsh, not that strange welsh that cel and colin speak in them there mountains :D thats a cross between yodling and sheep noises :wicked::D

BEST STEVE T

Hi Steve

we had a cracker on saturday

poorly hangover on sunday

looking forward to this one on the 17th

look forward to those xover tunes too!!!!

cheers sean

Hey dave that's in yorkshire isn't it ? It's dangerous enough as it is with the cockneys, taffs and morecambe crews mixing it, what the hell the more the messier - pass out the invites !

Taff

No Taff the weekender is in Retford which is Nottinghamshire (I think?)

Taffs & Morecambe boys - no problem, but you haven't got cockneys coming along as well have you ?

Sarf Lunden me mate :thumbsup::wicked:

Taffs & Morecambe boys - no problem, but you haven't got cockneys coming along as well have you ?

Sarf Lunden me mate :ohmy:thumbsup.gif

I only got D+ in Geograffy Dave (and D- in English!) If you bump into any lost souls, feel free to extend the welcome.

Martin K, over to you to defend the East End, lummey, cor blimey, fair cop, gawd bless yer maa'm ! Hey this is gonna be one multicultural event !!!!!

Only Boogaloo, Soul Brittania & Soul in the City to go, then it's the Mother of All Soul Nights.

Taff

Sarf Lunden me mate :ohmy:thumbsup.gif

sarf lunden ,i went there once but it was shut

Now Now Martin if you London boys can't play nicely together you won't get any jelly at the party !

Tis like havin the Krays and the Richardsons with Mad Frankie Fraser at the same party as the Gwynedd Gangsters and the Morecambe Mafia !

Good job you're only armed with 45's, I can see this being murder on the dance floor !

Taff

Edited by Saxafone

Now Now Martin if you London boys can't play nicely together you won't get any jelly at the party !

Tis like havin the Krays and the Richardsons with Mad Frankie Fraser at the same party as the Gwynedd Gangsters and the Morecambe Mafia !

Good job you're only armed with 45's, I can see this being murder on the dance floor !

Taff

What colt 45s :thumbsup: Blimey I was only having a larf ................. I've visions now of the old cowboy films where the baddie fires at someones feet with the order "dance ya varmit" mind you would put an end to empty dance floors laugh.gif

I would have loved to have gone to shs, maria and carl were top notch last time

but i would never get up for the journey to morecambe,

we,re going up friday so theres no room for error :thumbsup: and get acclimatised :D

I would have loved to have gone to shs, maria and carl were top notch last time

but i would never get up for the journey to morecambe,

we,re going up friday so theres no room for error :yes: and get acclimatised :thumbup:

Ha ha you're not wrong, I'll have to be on the water at SHS so I can get up in time to get to Morecambe :thumbsup:

May have a beer or two by the seaside though :lol:

Well that's Boogaloo and Soul Brittania out of the way, just Soul in the City now before the big one ! Dave, WATER :thumbsup: that's true sacrifice - a Yard of ale for you when you land in Morecambe methinks.

Madelline Bell, Geno, Eddie Floyd, Jimmy James and Sam Moore all did the biz at the Barbican last night, plenty of mention for Northern and all played against scooter and wigan Vids, too many of em on really - less would have been more, or none at all in the case of Eric Burdon. Being transmitted on BBC 4 the Friday before the big one.

Got me thinking, could I get a vocalist for the big night to churn a few choons out - answer yes (though none of the above unfortunately!) If I wanted any backing tracks is there anything you gifted dj types can do that saves me hunting for instrumentals of the songs ?

Taff

Well that's Boogaloo and Soul Brittania out of the way, just Soul in the City now before the big one ! Dave, WATER :thumbsup: that's true sacrifice - a Yard of ale for you when you land in Morecambe methinks.

Madelline Bell, Geno, Eddie Floyd, Jimmy James and Sam Moore all did the biz at the Barbican last night, plenty of mention for Northern and all played against scooter and wigan Vids, too many of em on really - less would have been more, or none at all in the case of Eric Burdon. Being transmitted on BBC 4 the Friday before the big one.

Got me thinking, could I get a vocalist for the big night to churn a few choons out - answer yes (though none of the above unfortunately!) If I wanted any backing tracks is there anything you gifted dj types can do that saves me hunting for instrumentals of the songs ?

Taff

i could aways belt out a few football songs if thats what youve got in mind thumbsup.gif

Being a QPR fan Martin your best plan is to stay quiet, what rhymes with relegation anyway ? Might be useful to get to know where Morecambe's ground is.

Nah cancel that last plan, had a singer from Surrey wanting to come and do a few numbers, lift fell through so looks like a no show - never liked Cliff Richards anyway.

Grub now sorted for the travelling hordes, twas a tough choice - a la carte' 12 course meal by Jamie Oliver or Lancashire Hot Pot - Jamie will not be needed !

10 days to the big one & I get to go on Saga Soul Tours !

Taff

Edited by Saxafone

Martin, you'll also need to wear a slightly Pi**ed off look as well if you are going to fit in on account of 15 blokes in red shirts doing the rugby equivalent of a QPR impression ! Mention of Chariots and the swinging low thereof and the like is probably not good for race relations either !

Apart from that all is set up for a top night, leaving it to the wandering nomadic DJs to sort out their playing order and sets coz I have to supervise the bar ! All the travellers that arrive before 8pm meet up at the Davy Jones Locker which is directly underneath the Clarendon Hotel. Our venue The Upstairs Downstairs is but a short stagger away.

For anyone still unsure about directions follow the link to

seasidesoul.co.uk the instructions are good for the hotel and the venue.

Nearly there - Taff

Morecambe's Mother of All 6ts Soul Nights

It's all sorted with a mega dose of assistance from the gang at Seaside Soul Club

Under the tuneful eye of Master of Proceedings Mr Charlie Funk Dixon, the Hometown crew will kick off at 8pm with some 6ts monsters taking us back to the brilliant sounds of Morecambe's Dixieland, Carleton and Pier

Then from 10:15 till the close we have 3 special guests from afar to take us on a 6ts mission

10:15 - 11:30 Mac, Motown memories and classic stomping soul with a Wrexham angle

11:30 - 12:45 Dave Greenhill, underplayed gems and London style 6ts soul

12:45 - 02:00 Steve Thomas, today's in demanders, a dollop of 100 club classics and sneaky crossover stuff from the most Northern part of North Wales

If that lot doesn't make ya moist you're dead !

For those still searching how to get here check out our fantastic hosts' web site www.seasidesoul.co.uk

I'm On my Way - Taff

Edited by Saxafone

It's all sorted with a mega dose of assistance from the gang at Seaside Soul Club

Under the tuneful eye of Master of Proceedings Mr Charlie Funk Dixon, the Hometown crew will kick off at 8pm with some 6ts monsters taking us back to the brilliant sounds of Morecambe's Dixieland, Carleton and Pier

Then from 10:15 till the close we have 3 special guests from afar to take us on a 6ts mission

10:15 - 11:30 Mac, Motown memories and classic stomping soul with a Wrexham angle

12:45 - 02:00 Steve Thomas, today's in demanders, a dollop of 100 club classics and sneaky crossover stuff from the most Northern part of North Wales

For those still searching how to get here check out our fantastic hosts' web site www.seasidesoul.co.uk

I'm On my Way - Taff

Dangerous statement Taff LOL

All the same going to be a cracking nite, looking forward to it ! :thumbsup:

I'm On my Way - Taff

looks like a great line up of djs

dont think i know what a wrexham angle is il just have to take your word that its something good

should be a great night though

lets keep it 60ts :thumbsup::shhh::lol:

Source Advert