A bit strange on ebay

Guest Gogs

53 minutes ago, Modernsoulsucks said:

The only thing strange is that anybody could think this was worth anything at all.

Borrowed from another thread

"Kev Roberts in the sleeve notes to the Golden Nuggets CD says Al Matthews 'Fool' was a big record in Birmingham."

I don't live in Birmingham but even i have a copy of this.

Social source share

On 10/10/2019 at 18:19, Modernsoulsucks said:

I just remember it as a pop song in the Charts.

Me too. At the Cats Whiskers in Oldham there were two DJs: Alan Massey played Northern Soul while the other guy- forget his name but a decent bloke albeit a Kid Jensen type - played commercial soul by the likes of Al Matthews, Barry White, George McCrae,  Hamilton Bohannon, Disco Tex and his Sex O Lettes etc etc etc. 

Given this impressive level of recall it’s a mystery to me why I continually lose my phone and keys...

• Up vote 2
Social source share

4 hours ago, Godzilla said:

Me too. At the Cats Whiskers in Oldham there were two DJs: Alan Massey played Northern Soul while the other guy- forget his name but a decent bloke albeit a Kid Jensen type - played commercial soul by the likes of Al Matthews, Barry White, George McCrae,  Hamilton Bohannon, Disco Tex and his Sex O Lettes etc etc etc. 

Given this impressive level of recall it’s a mystery to me why I continually lose my phone and keys...

Is this the same as when "The carstairs, Babe Ruth, and others from the 70's started getting plays. Is it not better to look forward instead off looking back all the time whilst still remembering yesterday.

Social source share

I have noticed that nobody has mentioned the fact that 2 different sellers on Ebay have used the exact same picture to sell a record, does this not bother anybody?

Social source share

1 hour ago, Gogs said:

Is this the same as when "The carstairs, Babe Ruth, and others from the 70's started getting plays. Is it not better to look forward instead off looking back all the time whilst still remembering yesterday.

Crazy syntax man! 😆
Definitely looking forward to hearing Babe Ruth though - wake me up when it happens...

Social source share

6 hours ago, Gogs said:

I have noticed that nobody has mentioned the fact that 2 different sellers on Ebay have used the exact same picture to sell a record, does this not bother anybody?

I'm no expert on Ebay but probably a stock photo copied from Discogs, neither of them say the photo is of the actual record for sale, or one may have copied the other one off Ebay itself, quite lazy whichever way just as easy to copy a decent picture you'd think. I'm more bemused by the prices the guy gets for his what I guess are white label carvers. As has been said many times on here crazy things happen on Ebay and their self policing leaves a lot to be desired. What does annoy me is people putting up for auction brand new releases, by that I mean releases on  Kent etc that are still readily available from any recognised dealer, trying to filter these out on a search is nigh impossible.  

Social source share

9 hours ago, Gogs said:

Oh well, both sellers don't even mention the tear on the label in the item condition description... So maybe it's not even either's actual copy offer for sale. Fair singalong 'pop' 50 cents worth record that made the chart worldwide that I don't need to hear out. Especially at a soul nite. And I have !!! 😮

Social source share

On 13/10/2019 at 20:07, Godzilla said:

Aah, the Cats Whiskers. Tales could be told! But not here. Alan Massey? I first knew him, and knew him very well, in '72. We were both working together at the Chadderton Asda store. I think he may even have been still there when I left to join the Navy in '74. Alan did indeed get a job DJing at the Cats, early '74 I think. He played the usual commercial stuff originally, but one or two of us would take a few tunes along with us on the Sunday night "comedown" sessions, and he'd happily spin them for us. The other DJs at the time? Their names have been lost in the mists of time I'm afraid. The only one I do recall was Mick the Fed, who, by then, had left. He used to give me some quality stuff he wasn't able to play at his usual gigs, such as Major Lance Columbia demos etc. Alan Massey was never really "on the scene" although he loved the music. I ran into him several times in the 90's at various Niters, where he was selling records with Glen Brierley, another old Oldham lad who used to frequent the Wheel and Top Twenty. Nice guys, and happy days!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

3 hours ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

This is the wrong one . . .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Al-Matthews-Fool-Vinyl/322821928424?hash=item4b29afb5e8:g:Fz8AAOSwkOJZ3zPV

His other images show Fool without a tear. Suppose he "listed an iteme like this" and forgot to take out the original image.

Well spotted, i never noticed that. 

But does this mean that you could list a really expensive record using the "list an item like this" feature picture even if you don't own said record, would this not be open to abuse/fraud?

Social source share

1 hour ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

I don't think that was the case here, just a mistake. Just adding your images doesn't get rid of the original one, and if at a very quick glance they look the same, then the error will go unnoticed.

Thanks Mick, as it has been many years since i last sold anything on Ebay i never knew this.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!