Twoshoes profile photo

No deterrent?

Posted

We are at the moment quite bemused by the response from our local police to a report of items stolen from Lou's House whilst we were on holiday. I have always been very supportive of the police especially now with shortage of numbers, underfunding, lack of respect etc. 

Lou uses a cat sitter who comes in twice a day and feeds the cat, opens and closes the curtains, up to now no problem. We came back from Montenegro in the early hours of Sunday morning. Come the morning Lou noticed several things had been moved around the house, opening her jewellery box to put things back from the holiday it wasn't how she left it. Pearl necklaces had been taken out of their felt pouches and other items moved. After looking through the box several items were missing, three or four os sentimental value including the ring I proposed with, we had one made that she now wears later. 

The cat sitter was very calm when Lou phoned her, too calm. When Lou initially tried to book the sitter she said she was going on holiday and could not do it but her daughter might be able to. She later phoned to say the holiday had been cancelled and could sit the cat. 

The police came and dusted for prints but found none saying there was nothing further they could do. Maybe it's us but we don't understand how with no break in and someone having keys they won't even interview the sitter. Our belief is if it wasn't the sitter she has let someone else maybe her daughter feed the cat. As a final twist the sitter yesterday put Lou's keys through the door, no note expressing any concern or anything. 

Realising the amount in monetary terms is probably just over a thousand where does the police's interest stop. The emotional stress of losing cherished items some left her Grandma, the cost of changing locks and the loss of feeling safe in your own home can't be quantified. 

Any views? 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Sorry to hear this, it must leave you both feeling horrible after trusting someone. It's bad enough being burgled by someone you don't know - I was burgled some years back, a week before I got married (the first time) They actually stole our wedding rings, and left the empty ring boxes neatly on our pillows (In hindsight, I should have taken that as an omen!)

That took years to get over, people don't realize how it makes you feel - I was suspicious of the lads that used to hang around in our street, along with everyone who walked past, and dreaded opening the door every time we returned home after a night out. 

Yours is of course alleged ref your sitter as there is no proof, so unfortunately there's nothing you can do - Just try to take some comfort that 'what goes around comes around', and whoever did this will pay somewhere down the line. How they live with themselves I do not know.

Maybe put a few posters up around where you live listing the stolen items, please ring if you have been offered these, or post them through our letterbox at this address. You never know, if it was the sitter, she may do this if she thinks you suspect her (If she did it of course)

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Keep an eye on ebay and make sure you give a list/photos to any of those pawn type shops in the local area also?

i.e. cash converters, local jewellers that buy items etc?

My sis in law in Italy had her house broken into with the keys by the cleaners mates and lost a lot of stuff, totally shite that.

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Cheers for your thoughts Timbo and Len, obviously there is more to this but my post would have rambled on. Good suggestions sadly Lou has no photographs of any of the stolen items, hindsight as they say, I think a break in would have been easier to deal with, I understand with no fingerprints it becomes Lou's word against the sitters but I was surprised under the circumstances they were not even going to question her. Bit of blow when you  consider Lou even left plastic gloves for the sitter for when she changed the litter trays hence no finger prints. Hey ho life goes on, more expense locks changed. 

Thanks guys

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

It was obviously not a break in. Access to the property was made with a key and the number of people who had a key would be very limited.

In a way this is a much easier crime for the Police to investigate as they have suspects from the outset. Really surprised that they didn't interview the cat sitter. I would have thought that was worth following up. 

I'd be inclined to write to your Police and Crime Commissioner, detailing the events and expressing some disappointment that the Police did the bare minimum when, with a little bit of effort, they might have identified the culprit and brought charges. 

• Up vote 4

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
23 hours ago, Westender said:

It was obviously not a break in. Access to the property was made with a key and the number of people who had a key 

I'd be inclined to write to your Police and Crime Commissioner, detailing the events and expressing some disappointment that the Police did the bare minimum when, with a little bit of effort, they might have identified the culprit and brought charges. 

HI, thank you for your input, a solicitor friend of Lou's recommended the same thing. Without going into detail as to the reasons why this has also meant cancelling credit cards, contacting various financial organisations. 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Really sorry to hear of your plight. Like you say, psychologically it's very disturbing. I would definitely be asking questions why the sitter wasn't interviewed? It's crazy? She had keys to the house? I have heard that the police don't have the resources anymore to investigate what they consider petty crime. The assumption is that the victim claims on insurance and all's well.  They're too busy with other stuff like national security, cybercrime, modern day slavery, trafficking, terrorism and wotnot.  I'd still be asking questions though!!!  Not to make light of it....but ...good job it wasn't a cat burglar, or kitty might have been nabbed too.😱  Good luck with getting some sort of closure. 👍🏼 And my sympathies to Lou. It's awful.

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Just to update the current situation after taking advice and reading suggestions in the replies to this thread we called at the police station yesterday expressing our concerns. The case is in a queue waiting to be assigned an officer who will decide whether further action will be taken , not as we were initially told  "there is nothing more we can do", that of course could still be the case , we should know more some time next week.

8 hours ago, Flamingemeralds said:

. Like you say, psychologically it's very disturbing.

Lou has always been very security conscious which when I met her used it to amuse me, getting into her house is like gaining entry into Fort Knox, the effect this has had on her is very sad, she jumps at the slightest noise in the house, can't stop thinking about various scenarios , what if his what if that. She has of course what will now be to her the horrendous task of finding another sitter and building up trust. People have been very kind knowing the person Lou is ,my daughter in law has offered to look after the cat in future but with a toddler and a six month old we think it is too big a commitment given the distance she would have to travel. A cattery is not really an option so we will look to a registered business which will hopefully give Lou some piece of mind.

My post just to reiterate is not a dig at the police who do a great job under in very trying times for reasons already stated, hopefully something will be done, at least an interview with the sitter though from what was said yesterday that isn't guaranteed.

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

The 'leader of our house' is also a cat, and we also didn't want to use a Cattery (Ellie the cat told us not to in no uncertain terms!) Anyway, we disobeyed her and put her in the Cattery for over two weeks.  Although the whole family were racked with guilt, we liked the fact our cat was safe and well looked after.

This particular Cattery puts pictures of their residents up on Face Book, so their guardians can see them when they are on holiday.

I hope you get some sort of justice ref the stolen goods, but more so, I hope you both can somehow put it to the back of your minds and focus on better things :wink:

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Good luck with the police - hope you have a good result & that the guilty one will be suitably punished - wouldn't hold your breath though 😪 xx

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Quick update, after contacting the police twice and being asked did she wish to make a complaint Lou was phoned by a very helpful Pc last Thursday who unfortunately was then going on leave until today, she asked if Lou would go and make a statement. We do know she has made some enquiries re the cat sitter which has given us some solace to know something has been done. Fingers crossed they will at least go and question the sitter.

As anybody who has experienced something similar will know with the passage of time a few other items have been found to be missing. 

• Up vote 4

Share this forum post

soul source url

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

Source Adverts

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.