Studio 17 and the Lost Tapes and Randys Records

Coolnotes

I will add this to the long list of fantastic music documentaries that that BBC 4 have broadcast in recent years  worth  the licence fee to watch this programme alone . An inspiring collection and reflection of musical and cultural history of some of Jamaica's hidden gems and a fascinating story of Vincent and Patricia Chin . It opened up a whole lot more music for me to find and play , such as Lord Creator . Jamaica and its musicians have given the world a great gift and its purest gems lie in the 1960's/70's . Catch this on BBR i player 90 minutes of musical tripping. Includes clips from Horace Andy , Errol Thompson, Lee Scratch Perry, Jimmy Cliff , Peter Tosh, and Trinidadian early Ska legend Lord Creator whose up there with Slim Smith as a vocal legend . In  90 mins it provides  some wonderful.. and painful accounts of the rise and fall of what was a music landmark in downtown Kingston , includes Dennis Brown cover of " When You Get Right Down to It " (Assuming the original was  The Delfonics followed by Ronnie Dyson ?) and Alton Ellis version of "Too Late to Turn Back Now. ' On BBC i player , and miss BBC 4 Friday night schedules at your peril. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

7 minutes ago, Coolnotes said:

This was originally called King and Queen and adapted by the Chin production team and went on to further adaptation to become 'Kingston Town ' brought to wider fame by UB40 , to the financial benefit of  Lord Creator and the Chin team . 

Well worth a watch, if only to check out the nutcase that Scratch was.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!