Valtone and The Fabulous Apollos...info please

52 minutes ago, The Yank said:

According to "Groovesville USA", the Valtone label was ownded by Frank and Val Brown.

The same source says the lead singer of the Fabulous Apollos was the same Joe Matthews 

who recorded "Ain't Nothing You Can Do".

Yes you are right,I was told that by Keith Rylatt quite some time ago. Chris. 

Social source share

On 17/10/2019 at 19:28, Wheelsville1 said:

Yes you are right,I was told that by Keith Rylatt quite some time ago. Chris. 

Much respect to Keith, but he claimed The Four Pros were all white and it was proved they weren't at all, but he may know more about The Fabulous Apollos, I will ask my contact to message him

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

22 hours ago, The Yank said:

According to "Groovesville USA", the Valtone label was ownded by Frank and Val Brown.

The same source says the lead singer of the Fabulous Apollos was the same Joe Matthews 

who recorded "Ain't Nothing You Can Do".

Yes, Frank Brown owned and managed Valtone.  I hadn't seen Val's name, but I assume (guess) that "Val" was his wife, named Valerie.  I have read that Joe Matthews was a group member, and sometimes lead (I remember them having different leads on different songs).

Social source share

11 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

I have found this which also mentions Tony Michaels (I don't know why I didn't search a little better)

Would this be Tony Michaels AKA Anthony Micale ?

https://www.soulfulkindamusic.net/fabulousapollos.htm

I have a hard time believing that Tony Micale was a member of The Fabulous Apollos.  I'm sure I've seen photos of the group, at least on posters for live events (back in the day), and they were an all Black group.  Tony was with Ed Wingate, as a member of The Reflections, and as solo artist, Tony Michaels, during most of the period The Fabulous Apollos operated. Besides, his voice is very distinct, and I don't remember hearing his voice in any of The fabulous Apollos' cuts.  I think that that is a mistaking of Tony Daniels for Tony Michaels,  IN FACT, using the link you posted, I got to Soulfulkindamusic, and Tony Daniels is printed there, rather than Tony Michaels.

Edited by Robbk
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Robbk said:

I have a hard time believing that Tony Micale was a member of The Fabulous Apollos.  I'm sure I've seen photos of the group, at least on posters for live events (back in the day), and they were an all Black group.  Tony was with Ed Wingate, as a member of The Reflections, and as solo artist, Tony Michaels, during most of the period The Fabulous Apollos operated. Besides, his voice is very distinct, and I don't remember hearing his voice in any of The fabulous Apollos' cuts.  I think that that is a mistaking of Tony Daniels for Tony Michaels,  IN FACT, using the link you posted, I got to Soulfulkindamusic, and Tony Daniels is printed there, rather than Tony Michaels.

Thanks Robb, that was just my eyesight...again

Social source share

• 4 years later...
On 18/10/2019 at 18:37, The Yank said:

Don't thank me- the info about Reggie/ Tony came from .........

Keith Rylatt's "Groovesville USA ". 

Found a poster with the group performing with some serious people and Frank promoting it 

Fabulous Appolos.jpeg

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!